Inexperienced, but determined new user of BB Tour. Have searched and browsed forum without finding answer to my problem.THE PROBLEM: Have been using BB Desktop Manager, Google Sync, Verizon remote backup, all without fully understanding how they interact. Have also used lastname entry rather than "category" to characterize certain contacts (e.g., lastname = "Restaurant (NY)", company=name of restaurant.) These moves have somehow resulted in fewer than 1,000 contacts replicating into more than 12,000. FIRST, how do I stop this wanton replication without losing the contacts that are important to me? SECOND, how do I delete duplicate entries? THIRD, how do I resume syncing with Google contacts? [Please be clear, I am unfamiliar with many of the technical terms.]
    10-01-10 10:41 AM
    Do you have multiple backups on your computer? Restoring from an early backup should get rid of the duplicates. I'm not sure on the procedure, but it should work.
    If it does work, make sure you don't have duplicates in your google contacts or the first sync will mess it all up again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    6756 likes this.
    10-02-10 05:49 AM
    Do you use Google Sync? Do you use the gmail app or do you have your email set up through BIS? I had the same issue so I am pretty sure I can help you I just need to know what you are using.
    6756 likes this.
    10-02-10 07:13 AM
    I have been in the exact same situation....

My problem was syncing Google contacts directly thru BIS. Using the Google sync application doesn't seem to create the same problem.

What to do?

Cut off sync:
    Terminate all sync channels.

Backup:
    Backup your actual contacts some where other than your blackberry.

Sort in Gmail:
    Sort all contacts in Gmail (Online), removing all the duplicates.

Delete all contacts from the Blackberry (Below is a cut and paste job form another post on cracberry - not my words - Credit to the original poster):

1. Go to "contacts"
    2. "Menu" button then "Options"
    => from there you see all your contact lists (i.e. "desktop" and eventually some more)
    3. Type "rset" (and *not* "reset" - be careful with spelling)
    4. Answers the questions to wipe the unwanted contact list

Done !

Re-Sync contacts with just the google sync app (Not online thru BIS Google account setup).
    10-02-10 07:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD