My question is about how to sync outlook (not on a bbserver) to my new tour. I have it all set up, and i did the original sync for the calendar, contacts, and tasks. It all worked great.

Now, how do i have any changes to appointments, additions or deletions show up immediately on by blackberry? I can keep it plugged into my computer during the day. I realize that it won't update anything remotely for the calendar and contacts. For example, during the day if i add new appointments or contacts to my outlook calendar, how can i set it up so that it automatically adds it to my blackberry so that i don't have to do another full sync each time i make a change or addition.

Also, since my email is currently a POP3 account, will it synchronize with the servers when i read mail or delete it from my computer or will it always show up as unread mail on my blackberry and vice versa?
    08-25-09 12:02 PM
    If you have your BB plugged in to your computer and desk top manager open it will make any addition or change to your contacts and appointments. If that doesn't work then just re sync before you unplug your black berry.

The emails will sync with your account without being plugged in it may take a few seconds but if you open an email on either your BB or computer the other will show it was opned.
    08-25-09 12:30 PM
    Closest thing you'll find to syncing contacts/calendar remotely on the cheap is to manage your contacts/calendar with google and use the googlesync app on your BB.

Or you could always run your own BES server.

Reconciliation of messages work, but I think only 1-way. I.E. you read or delete a message on your BB and it will update on the server. However, if you read or delete on the server, it won't update the BB.
    08-25-09 12:31 PM
    08-25-09 01:51 PM
    REGARDING CALENDAR ONLY:

If you are using Outlook 2003 or 2007, you should do a "three way" Sync this way...

Create a Google account or use existing account and login to www.google.com/calendar.

Download and install on your PC the Google program for bi-directional syncing between Outlook and Google Calendar. See here: Introduction to Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

Put Google Sync on your Blackberry. See here: Google Sync services

Then... you are completely hooked up. Any appointment made in Outlook or on your BB will sync wirelessly to all calendars via Google Calendar. You can also access Google calendar on any PC and make changes.

If you don't have Outlook 2003 or 2007, you have three options for PC to BB wireless syncing: (1) Use Google Calendar on the web without a client. (2) Use Mozilla Thunderbird (free) with the Lightning Plugin for your calendar (very similar to outlook). (3) Use the Mozilla Sunbird calendar program (also free) which works just like Lightning.

HTH!
    08-25-09 02:23 PM
    Thanks for all the tips. We don't have exchange server yet, but will within 30 days. So before i try any of the other options with google, i'll wait and see if it works better via the exchange server.

btw - i tried a "test appointment" on my oulook calendar and just let my BB sit connected to my computer, with the bb desktop manager minimized. It never did do any update onto my BB.
    08-25-09 02:50 PM
    I personally use AstraSync and have recommended it to several of my coworkers. It works quite well. Not as good as my Previous WinMo phone that could talk directly to the exchange server but AstraSync definitely gets the job done.

Only issues I have had with it is that it can be a little slow at times to load the email app (it uses it's own client for email but calendar and contacts get synced to native app). Viewing your other folders besides your inbox is a new feature in their latest version but I still don't have all my folders showing up on my BB. And you can't change the notification tone when you receive email from the Astrasync program.
    If you can live with those issues that I just stated then give it a try.
    09-25-09 09:56 AM
    I don't get it, can someone explain why do we have to pay AstraSync a yearly fee, if RIM already has the service, or doesn't it? I can't tell what's the difference so if someone can explain, please do.

Thanks
    09-25-09 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD