I called VZW and they said the trackball is a HARDWARE Issue and the new cartons being shipped out has a green dot on the carton. The rep said to go into the store to get a replacement as if he were to send it, it would be a refurb.

So my question is this: How do I switch over all the apps that I have paid for and painstakingly downloaded?

Just use the desktop manager? Thanks in advance!
    08-17-09 10:24 PM
    Use DM, device switch. Back up your current device, then when you have the new one, hook it up to DM and restore the backup file to your new Tour

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 10:31 PM
    Thanks for the help!

I should of just Googled first LOL.
    Heres what I found

Getting The Job Done

Step 1:
    The first step of the process is to connect your BlackBerry to your PC and launch the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Step 2:
    With the BlackBerry Desktop Manager open and running, click on the button that reads “Switch Device Wizard”. Once the switch device dialog box is visible, click on the button named “Switch BlackBerry Devices”.

Step 3:
    When you are presented with the switch BlackBerry devices dialog box click the button labeled “Next” and then select the USB: Your PIN option.

Click the Next button and enter in your BlackBerry password if prompted. If you don’t know your BlackBerry password, try entering the word “password” without the quotes.

Step 4:
    You will be presented with a list of items you are able to backup. Make sure that only the “Third Party Applications” option is checked off, leaving “Include Messages” and “User Data Settings” unchecked.

Click the Next button.

Step 5:
    Once the Desktop Manager has completed it’s back up of your third party applications, it is VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CLICK THE NEXT or CANCEL buttons.

Leave the screen that you see alone and then complete the remaining steps below.

Step 6:
    Do a search on your PC for files and folders that are labeled with your BlackBerry PIN number (the backup process has created a temp folder on your PC that is named using your BlackBerry PIN).

NOTE: It is important to note that the temp folder is recognized as a hidden folder by your PC so you will have to make sure that you are searching the hidden folders as well.

To search your PC for the temp folder, simply open Windows Explorer and type in %temp% to find all temp folders. Look for the one named with your PIN and copy the folder to a new location on your PC.

Step 7:
    Go back to the “Switch Device” window that we left open in Step 5 and cancel the process. Be sure that you have copy/pasted the temp folder to a new location on your PC because it will be erased from its original location at this point.

Your Backup is now complete!
    Restoring Your 3rd party Applications

1. Plug in your new BlackBerry (must have an OS loaded onto it) via USB to your PC
    2. Launch the Application Loader and click the Add button in the top right
    3. Navigate to the spot where you saved the copied version of the backup folder from Step 6 above
    4. Double click the file named YOURPIN.alx. The Application Loader will recognize the file like any other .alx file and load the backed up 3rd party applications onto your new device.

There you have it folks. A step by step guide on how to back up all of your precious third party applications in case of BlackBerry disaster!
    UPDATE for Desktop Manager 4.7

This update comes courtesy of Crucial_Xtreme

1) Plug in your device and Open Desktop Manager > Select “Device Switch Wizard”

2) Device Switch Wizard > BlackBerry devices

3) Be sure that ONLY 3rd Party Applications is checked then Select “Next”

4) Desktop Manager will back up 3rd party apps, when finished DO NOT select Next or Cancel!!!

5) Search your computer Files & Folders and make sure to search HIDDEN FILES & FOLDERS for a folder with the same name as your PIN and a .alx file.

6) Move the folder and the .alx file to your desktop for easy access.

7) Go back to the Desktop Manager and cancel the process.
    How to find the PIN folder on Windows Vista machines

1. Click Start Circle then Help & Support
    2. Enter “Search Folder”
    3. Click on “Find a file or folder”
    4. Click on “To find a file or folder using the Search folder”
    5. Click on “Click to open search”
    6. Click on the expand arrow next to “Advanced Search”
    7. Click on “Location” and use Local Disk C: (usually!)
    8. Enter the PIN of your BB under “Name”
    9. Make sure the box is checked next to “Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files”

Instead of completing the whole navigation process above you can also find the file here:
    08-17-09 10:32 PM
    I called VZW and they said the trackball is a HARDWARE Issue and the new cartons being shipped out has a green dot on the carton. The rep said to go into the store to get a replacement as if he were to send it, it would be a refurb.
    You're the second person to write about green dot cartons. Can anyone from VZW confirm? I have a bum trackball and I'll switch if they really fix the problem.

Also, although this is a less elegant solution, you can bring a laptop into the VZW store and use the device switch yourself without doing a backup of your apps (per instructions above). I'm sure Verizon hates to see people do this because it quickly becomes obvious that you had a defective phone but.. ****, it'll work.
    08-17-09 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD