Hey all,

Does anyone have a fix for a sticking, unresponsive trackball? Mine seems to vary depending on whatever grime might be getting stuck in there.. but now it's really bad.. my sensitivity is turned up, but that doesn't even seem to help sometimes.. should I replace the trackball? I just got the thing..
    07-29-09 11:17 PM
    Bring the phone in for a swap if you just got it!
    07-29-09 11:48 PM
    I've had my Tour since Day 1 and I absolutely love it, but the past couple of days I've started getting serious trackball issues. For me it's only going left or right -- up/down still works perfectly. So you're not alone.
    07-30-09 12:02 AM
    I have the same problem on my new Tour. Track ball will not function properly going left to right. Changing the sensitivity will not effect the lack of performance. Verizion sent me a new phone and out of the box...same deal. And another phone is on it's way.

One thing the tech guy mentioned to try was hold the phone in hand and with your other hand/finger move the track ball back and forth real fast. This sometimes frees it up.
    Last edited by Stano; 07-30-09 at 12:30 AM.
    07-30-09 12:27 AM
    I've had this happen and run the trackball around with a damp alcohol wipe. Clears it right up.. No lie! Give it a shot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 12:29 AM
    I've had this happen and run the trackball around with a damp alcohol wipe. Clears it right up.. No lie! Give it a shot.

Do you pull the battery while doing this?
    07-30-09 12:44 AM
    Do you pull the battery while doing this?
    No, I haven't. Like I said, it's "damp" not soaked.
    Put the wipe over the trackball and move it all around. (in all directions)

If you want, you can pull the battery but it wouldn't damage your phone.

If you could, I would recommend a mixture alcohol wipe, I.E. 20% Alcohol, 80% distilled water

It deff. works, I promise :-)
    07-30-09 12:53 AM
    Overall I've found the Tour trackball very responsive.

However today for the first time my trackball did stick and I couldn't scroll left in particular.

It was easy to un-stick: I clicked it and then it was fine!

07-30-09 02:28 AM
    my replacement works fine now, no need to adjust sensitivity....just kept it at the default 70/70, id try to get a replacement if possible
    07-30-09 03:56 AM
    Mine just started sticking a bit today too..

I used to pull the one on my Curve all the time to clean it
    07-30-09 05:02 AM
    Mine started just this week and I bought my Tour on the 15th. This is clearly an issue VZW and RIM need to think out-fast.

Also, I love the dummys who are saying those with trackball issues are "nitpicking" or complainers. On a 200$+ phone where the primary navigation function is borked so quick ( and you can't freaking replace it easy)- you bet I'm pissed. My 8900 runs circles around the Tour in terms of quality, fit and finish, and speed of the OS. No silly tupperwear battery door either!
    07-30-09 05:34 AM
    Just a few things I've found (even though I've already had a replacement sent.

If you run your finger lightly, side to side track ball works. I noticed a LOT of sticking in my new favorite game Word Mole. And Bolt has the same side to side track ball problem. All in all, I love this phone. I want to make it work.

WCM

07-30-09 05:44 AM
    Mine started just this week and I bought my Tour on the 15th. This is clearly an issue VZW and RIM need to think out-fast.

Also, I love the dummys who are saying those with trackball issues are "nitpicking" or complainers. On a 200$+ phone where the primary navigation function is borked so quick ( and you can't freaking replace it easy)- you bet I'm pissed. My 8900 runs circles around the Tour in terms of quality, fit and finish, and speed of the OS. No silly tupperwear battery door either!
    And I love the "dummys" who think that they should return their phone when they are the ones that got grime and dirt on a moving component (trackball) causing it to stick. Just clean the fugging thing!
    I just slightly damp a paper towel and roll the wet area over the ball vigorously in all directions, then switch to a dry area of the paper towel and do the same. This cleans mine up EVERY time.
    07-30-09 06:06 AM
    Mine is sticking a little with some of the left to right movements, i went into my settings and changed the sensativity to 80 instead of 70 and it has made a world of a difference.
    07-30-09 06:18 AM
    And I love the "dummys" who think that they should return their phone when they are the ones that got grime and dirt on a moving component (trackball) causing it to stick. Just clean the fugging thing!
    I just slightly damp a paper towel and roll the wet area over the ball vigorously in all directions, then switch to a dry area of the paper towel and do the same. This cleans mine up EVERY time.
    I'm not sure that all of these problems are the direct result of "grime and dirt". The same people that rarely had trackball problems on other BB devices are now plagued with trackball problems on the Tour and I doubt that they are using it differently or in new environments. RIM needs to step up, admit that they have a QC problem, and make it right. Nothing will kill customer loyalty faster than poor quality.

07-30-09 06:20 AM
    I'm not sure that all of these problems are the direct result of "grime and dirt". The same people that rarely had trackball problems on other BB devices are now plagued with trackball problems on the Tour and I doubt that they are using it differently or in new environments. RIM needs to step up, admit that they have a QC problem, and make it right. Nothing will kill customer loyalty faster than poor quality.

i'd have to agree. i'm not so sure that everyone who is having trackball issues suffer from dirt and grime. imho, i do feel that this is a qc issue that needs to be addressed. excellent points, esp in reference to the many who have had other bb devices
    07-30-09 06:28 AM
    i'd have to agree. i'm not so sure that everyone who is having trackball issues suffer from dirt and grime. imho, i do feel that this is a qc issue that needs to be addressed. excellent points, esp in reference to the many who have had other bb devices
    i second this. i doubt its due to the dirt and grime, since the trackball doesnt sit the same way it did on previous devices. Also it appears to be a known issue, lots of people having the trackball go dead.
    07-30-09 06:30 AM
    Mine has been sticking out of the box as well, gonna try the alcohol wipe and see if it helps...Only left to right does it stick by the way
    07-30-09 08:02 AM
    Same here. now at 90/90 and it still has issues. POS.

on the older models, users could replace or clean the track ball in lesss than 2 minutes. the silver track ball bezel could be reomved with finger nails. i loved that. that option is no longer available and you must dissect the unit to make any changes... which voids warranty. rubbish!
    Last edited by cvaria; 07-30-09 at 10:30 AM.
    07-30-09 10:28 AM
    use alcohol and some compressed air. Its just debris and oils getting in there. As you can see the ball recesses quite a bit so it leaves a lot of room for stuff to get in there. Mine has been great although I have noticed this once or twice.
    07-30-09 10:42 AM
    Hey all,

Does anyone have a fix for a sticking, unresponsive trackball? Mine seems to vary depending on whatever grime might be getting stuck in there.. but now it's really bad.. my sensitivity is turned up, but that doesn't even seem to help sometimes.. should I replace the trackball? I just got the thing..
    Got a real simple solution for you, clean your thumb....LOL
    07-30-09 10:44 AM
    I used so alcohol on a q tip. Noticed the difference the day after cleaning haha but I think ill do this every other week. I know my skin can get oily.

07-30-09 10:55 AM
    After 8 differnt BB's I can tell differnce between dirt and a faulty trackball. Never had a trackball go down so quick on a new BB.
    07-30-09 12:47 PM
    After 8 differnt BB's I can tell differnce between dirt and a faulty trackball. Never had a trackball go down so quick on a new BB.
    *co-sign*

especially when it's jacked up, fresh out of the box.
    07-30-09 01:23 PM
    MIne also did this (wouldnt go up or down, but would go left to right) so i just tried to scroll up and down till it worked again, clicking helped mine.
    07-30-09 03:44 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD