Isn't that with all trackballs? You just pointed out a well known fact.
    Are you kidding me with that pic? Holy sweet Jeezus! That'll get a guy in trouble seeing stuff like that...
    08-05-09 09:24 PM
    Em, no. Mine arrived today and had the problem straight out of the box. Unless you're insisting that RIM's assembly folks have dirty greasy hands, this is a hardware issue. I'm exchanging it tomorrow.

I think its just dirt/grease from peoples hands. my curve had same issues as the tour over some time as well. fix! RIM stop making trackballs and use something else instead
    08-06-09 05:35 PM
    My 1st Tour had an OK trackball, but was returned because people couldn't hear a damn thing I said.

My second Tour had a terrible trackball scrolling left to right. It had a different feel going up and down and did that perfect. It felt rough going side to side. edit: Forgot to mention the headphone jack was jammed and i could not insert headphones.

My Third Tour I got today is PERFECT! The trackball feels way better and scrolls in every direction smoothly. It even has a tight fitting battery cover and no wavy lines when I click the trackball.
    Last edited by clexman; 08-06-09 at 06:49 PM.
    08-06-09 06:41 PM
    Isn't that with all trackballs? You just pointed out a well known fact.
    Hardly a well known fact considering the age of the tour.
    08-06-09 06:43 PM
    I think its just dirt/grease from peoples hands. my curve had same issues as the tour over some time as well. fix! RIM stop making trackballs and use something else instead
    Often the problem occurs straight from out of the box.

I re-loaded the OS (for another reason), adjusted scrolling, and began to be a lot lighter on the TB. So for me it has really improved. The Tour likes the gentle touch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 02:51 AM
    My 1st Tour had an OK trackball, but was returned because people couldn't hear a damn thing I said.

My second Tour had a terrible trackball scrolling left to right. It had a different feel going up and down and did that perfect. It felt rough going side to side. edit: Forgot to mention the headphone jack was jammed and i could not insert headphones.

My Third Tour I got today is PERFECT! The trackball feels way better and scrolls in every direction smoothly. It even has a tight fitting battery cover and no wavy lines when I click the trackball.
    Why should we have to get a replacement after replacement to finally get one that works? Does RIM test each phone before releasing them? Or do they just test one and not the rest and hope for the best?
    08-08-09 03:18 AM
    recieved this a few mins ago only after emailing my SAR regarding the common issue.

Blackberry Tour 9630:
    Trackball not responding properly:
    Option1
    If you encounter a trackball that is not responding properly, you can try and clean out the trackball
    by running a brush with denatured alcohol over the trackball and trying to clean the rollers. By
    cleaning the rollers, it will respond better to the movement of the trackball.

Option2
    Another option is to replace the trackball with a curve trackball assembly. Both trackball
    assemblies are interchangeable. However, I would use this method as a last resort due to
    majority of the handsets is within 30 days of purchase.
    The issue has been brought up to RIM and hopefully an answer will be forthcoming.

HAHAHAHAHA I told u so, crackberry users!!!!
    You left out the third option. Get Your Money Back! Yo! you didn't yell us shiat biatch!
    08-08-09 03:24 AM
    How the he1l would I "replace with a Curve trackball assembly" ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but replacing a Curve (83xx) trackball only requires popping off the front silver ring.

Replacing a Tour trackball requires dissembling the entire freaking device.

No?
    Right! which would void your warranty. SYER1 thinks he is some kind of Sprint Guru divinely inspired, going I told told you. He sounds like a 8 yr old.
    08-08-09 03:32 AM
    i set sensativity to 90 for horizontal and still having an issue..

set the audible click on and i notice that when i scroll to the left i dont hear the sound allot of the time.. up and down and right is ok ... having an issue going left

this is my 3rd replacement... this one doesnt seem to be muffled on the term side when i talk to people but now i have trackball issue... this phone is F'en amazing
    08-08-09 09:12 AM
    Right! which would void your warranty. SYER1 thinks he is some kind of Sprint Guru divinely inspired, going I told told you. He sounds like a 8 yr old.
    So because i brought up the issue before sprint even realized there was an issue and then even tell you how to fix the issue, and then realease sprints statement saying that there is an issue with the trackball, that makes me an 8yr old? Im sorry that i wanted to help out my fellow crackberry users that are experiencing so many issues with the trackball. Instead of being on my nuts, why dont u actually contribute something to the topic?
    Last edited by syer1; 08-08-09 at 02:50 PM.
    08-08-09 02:39 PM
    I just took my work Tour down to the Corporate Store for the trackball issue. They replaced the trackball with a white one and now it works well. I have a feeling there was a huge run of bad trackballs. My personal 9630 and the wife's trackball has worked perfectly, but the work one drove me nuts.
    08-13-09 06:40 PM
    mine works perfectly!
    08-13-09 06:46 PM
    I just took my work Tour down to the Corporate Store for the trackball issue. They replaced the trackball with a white one and now it works well. I have a feeling there was a huge run of bad trackballs. My personal 9630 and the wife's trackball has worked perfectly, but the work one drove me nuts.
    Good to hear that u got ur issue taken care of. If the white ball annoys u, u can either dye it lie I do or purchase any 8830/8330 colored trackball from cnn.cn

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 08:08 PM
    ugghhh...white balls
    08-13-09 08:24 PM
    i have blue balls..lol no pun intended.
    08-13-09 08:30 PM
    ugghhh...white balls
    damn white balls.. :-) as long as it works ill take some white balls. Ill take it real good....pause.
    09-02-09 01:56 PM
    Can someone ask their sprint store how they disassembled the phone to replace the trackball. I do not believe a tech at the store can do it that quickly (and cleanly).
    09-02-09 03:13 PM
    he never said the owner was to swap trackballs. the way its written is a response from a sar to tech. he was just passing on the info.
    10-21-09 10:11 AM
    concur. it is a known issue especially with crackberry users. the forums were blowing up with trackball complaints. my recommendation is to return the device and to not let them charge you for restocking, give you a refurbished device, or try to clean it. Just demand a new one as you are within your first thirty days. i had horizontal trackball issues (scrolling to the right) and now i'm on my second and couldn't be happier. you can defiantly tell a substantial difference.

Same here, I received a replacement when I was within my 30 days from Sprint. My second device IMMEDIATELY worked better than my first did when I got it.
    10-21-09 10:26 AM
    Just swapped out the 9630 tb w/ a new curve tb. Works GREAT, taking it apart is a minor pain. You'll need a T6 screwdriver and CAREFUL taking the housing apart.

Only complaint, my 8 gig sd card can no longer be read.. which kinda sux, but now it's an excuse to get the 16gb card I've had my eye on for a while.

Back up your SD card onto your PC, folks, you never know?
    11-06-09 11:43 AM
    Hey guys... I purchased an additional BB Tour battery from ebay just to have an additional charged battery in emergency cases. But now I've lost my original battery and need to return it because of the annoying trackball problem. Will they still replace my tour with if I return it with a different battery? or do you just return the device and not the case, battery, SIM, etc)? Please advise, thanks!
    03-06-10 12:24 PM
    If u are doing an exchange then the phone is only needed. U keep the sim,memmory card, and battery. If the phone is under 30 days then everything is required to be returned in order for the store to give you a brand new phone.
    03-06-10 12:32 PM
    My trackball stopped scrolling down. However, I was able to scroll up, left and right. I tried using alcohol and cotton swab to clean it as recommended by others on this site, but within a day, the problem reappeared. I didn't want to take my BB apart, as recommended by others, so I searched for another solution short of visiting Sprint repair. Here it is! Simplest fix yet folks. Go to , and do what the user does. When I tried it, I actually saw pieces of dark material (as well as scratch marks from the operation) appear on the paper, and when I tried to scroll my track ball down, it worked again! Happy scrolling:-)
    11-13-10 08:50 AM
    I've been pretty lucky in that I haven't had major trackball issues, but it has gotten stuck on me a few times. I've found that spraying a bit of windex on a cloth and wiping the ball works quite well. Might be worth a try if anyone is having issues. Just be careful not to use too much windex.
    11-18-10 01:42 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD