If your like me you probably don't love SprintNav as much as Telenav the user interface is different and the maps don't quite match up. Well when I was tinkering with my Tour I noticed that you can download Telenav and use it as part of your service. I haven't been charged for it and it kicks but!

To download Telenav on your Sprint tour go to: Browser -> Bookmarks -> Links -> Wireless Web -> Download Applications -> GPS Applications -> Telenav GPS Navigator and enjoy.

Telenav can do much more than SprintNav like holding the space key lets your speak a address or search for a business without calling etc.. Telenav also lets your preset a commuter route so you can get text messages when your about to leave your house with traffic conditions.

I just thought you all would like to enjoy this app and dont quote me but I thinks its free with the unlimited plan!! Install at your own risk.

**Originally posted before my thread by member MCONK**

Here is the original threat that I started on this exact issue. TeleNav CAN be used by Sprint customers, at no additonal cost.
    You can view the thread here:
    Using Telenav with the 8830WE and my ordeal with CS today.

I have copied and pasted below as well:
    Using Telenav with the 8830WE and my ordeal with CS today.
    I have decided to share this information with CB nation, to clear up some mis-information out there.

Now, for those of you with the Blackberry Personal data packs starting at $30, and for those of you with the SEP plans starting at $69 - within the agreements of these plans you have unlimited use of the Sprint Navigation service. The Sprint Navigation application is simply a re-branded (sprint branded) version of the TeleNav application. Both applications login to the same servers, and all data is routed through the same servers over at TeleNav.

Some of you are aware that the Sprint Navigation app was upgraded to 2.0 a couple of months ago. I read a few negative posts both here, and over at BAW, regarding the upgrade. I personally did like some of the new features, and thought it was a bit speedier in certain areas, but also lacking in others. Unfortunately, once you upgrade to 2.0, there is no way to downgrade.

SO, with that said - I decided to browse over to TeleNav, and simply download the original, non-branded TeleNav app itself. After installation, you enter your phone number, and email address to login to the TeleNav servers. While logging in, TeleNav runs a query through Sprint to ensure that your plan does in fact support navigation services, and that your account is in good standing.

After login, the app itself is pretty much an exact copy of Sprint Navigation before the 2.0 upgrade, without all of the sprint-branding and colors. The app itself works flawlessly for me, so I of course decided to make it my default GPS app, and have kept it that way for quite some time now.

Fast forward to this morning - I have a follow-up interview at New Horizons, which is a local I.T. school. I am going to pursue several certifications to become an NSSP. I realize that I don't remember the exact location, and fire up TeleNav to get me there on time. After login, I go into recent places, get the route, and right before the map pops up I am hit with an "Account Expired - Please call 88.TeleNav.4". Uh-oh.

I decide to give Sprint a call. I know that from time to time, Sprint Navigation will sometimes "expire" and a simple call to tech support will fix the problem. Sometimes this requires a re-install of the application. No biggie. So I wait on the line about 10 seconds, and am routed right to a rep.

I explain that I am using TeleNav, not Sprint Navigation. The rep advises that I SHOULD be using SprintNav, and that the actual TeleNav app is unsupported. Strange, I thought, as I have been using it for quite some time now, and a previous call to tech-support advised that this was OK, as both apps login and function through the same servers, as described above. I decide not to take up too much of this guys time, and advised I would call TeleNav directly, as he suggested.

So I finally find New Horizons, go through the second interview, am accepted, and go home. Once home, I give TeleNav CS a shot. Once again, no hold time - rep immediately tells me I need to contact Sprint CS, as my account is showing inactive, and this is why the TeleNav app is giving me the "expired" message. I am advised to conference call them back, with a Sprint rep on the line to verify my account is in good standing, once this is done my TeleNav account will be updated - and the app will function gain.

This time, rather than calling *2, pressing 4 for tech support, and 3 for gps support, I call BlackBerry tech support directly, and explain the issue. I got an AMAZING rep on the phone. She immediately understood the issue, was anxious to help, and very informative. Not to mention, VERY patient. Yes! I conference TeleNav into the call, and get a rep almost immediately. Gave the first rep my reference number from the previous call, and explain the situation. She ends up transferring us to T2 for what was described as a quick account update.

T2 gets on the line, the Srint rep verifies my account is in good standing, and that I DO have the BB Personal pack, which DOES include Sprint Navigation. For some reason, the TeleNav rep does not concur. The two of them went back and forth for a bit, and finally the TN rep decides to call WSTS (Sprint Tech Support for large companies/3rd party contracts).

We now have four people on a conference call, including myself. The rep from WSTS advises that he does not believe the BB Personal back includes navigation, so after about 10 minutes of everyone going back and forth, he goes on hold to check with someone. In the meantime, the TN and Sprint reps are both trying to figure out what they can do to help. I gotta say, I got killer reps on the phone today...all of them went way beyond what most CS reps would do to resolve the issue.

We wait for approx 20-25 min, and the WSTS guy is still on hold. In the meantime, the Sprint CS is advising I could switch to the $69 SEP, and this issue should automatically resolve. After some quick math, I figure I am saving a few bucks still by sticking with the BB personal pack, and politely decline. Finally, the TN rep decides to call WSTS back, and in the meantime I advise Sprint CS that she can drop off the call, as she has already done enough to help, and I am KILLING her handling time(heh).

TN calls WSTS back, and the rep we get initially advises that the BB personal pack DOES in fact support navigation. Then switched-up, said he wasn't sure, and went to double check. Finally he came back and did clearly state that navigation is included in the plan (which is what I, and the sprint rep were saying all along) and that he would make the appropriate mods to my account. He does something in the computer, and TN does something in the computer, I get the green-light to end the call and re-login and POW its working again.

A minute later, I get an email from TN saying Dear Michael, your TN account has been re-activated until 8/22/09. Meaning, I am going to have to go through all of this again. Oh well. Overall, this ordeal took about 45 min, but I got some great reps who really took extra steps to try and alleviate the issue.

So in the end, to clear it up, if you have the above mentioned plans, you CAN use either TeleNav or Sprint Navigation. The choice is yours my friends.

Michael

BTW: This thread was created while using my 8830WE - I have successfully downloaded the TeleNav app, and am using it just fine as described above, on my new Tour.
    Enjoy
    Last edited by JPatterson350; 08-29-09 at 01:49 PM.
    08-09-09 12:51 PM
    interesting, i use sprint nav fairly often. going to download this and see whats so much better? because as far as i know sprint nav is powered by telenav?

edit: well i loaded it on the tour. when i open it, it asks me to register. upon submitted it says my account has expired. guess its not free? and yes i do have sprint nav on my plan.
    Last edited by andyriot; 08-09-09 at 01:22 PM.
    08-09-09 01:18 PM
    interesting, i use sprint nav fairly often. going to download this and see whats so much better? because as far as i know sprint nav is powered by telenav?

edit: well i loaded it on the tour. when i open it, it asks me to register. upon submitted it says my account has expired. guess its not free? and yes i do have sprint nav on my plan.

Did you download from the path in the original post? Make sure you enter the same information you entered when setting up sprint nav and the password is the last 4 of your phone number.

Its working great for me.

Also I did delete Sprint Nav I only have telenav installed I dont know if that makes a difference.
    08-09-09 01:24 PM
    Just downloaded and installed... Works like a charm. And that lady's voice is so much nicer than the SprintNav woman's!

Thanks for the tip. Oh, and I left SprintNav installed, and it's working great, so that's not a factor!
    08-09-09 01:43 PM
    yes i downloaded exactly how you said. i dont know if maybe i registered sprint nav differently?
    08-09-09 01:44 PM
    Hmmm interesting... Will have to check into

Hopefully other people chime in as well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 01:53 PM
    How long have you had it installed? Telenav is free for anyone for the first 30 days.

08-09-09 01:56 PM
    Gonna download now
    08-09-09 02:27 PM
    Downloading as we speak.
    08-09-09 02:37 PM
    Me too.....Thanks for the tip
    08-09-09 02:37 PM
    Its asking for 4 digit pin # but i can't figure it out, i can't receive the text message with the pin.
    08-09-09 02:48 PM
    I did it works. I was gonna compare the sprint nav and telenav but when I open sprint nav it ask me to purchase a subscription. Anyone else get this?

08-09-09 02:50 PM
    Is anyone having problems with my.telenav.com loading?
    08-09-09 02:57 PM
    what i had to do was go into sprint nav and set my info again, also check my pin. saved it. loaded telenav and put the same info i just put in sprint nav and it worked.
    08-09-09 03:00 PM
    Are we sure its free?
    08-09-09 03:03 PM
    guys this is only a trial dont waste your time, i had this on my 8830 then on my 8330 now on my tour,

after 2 weeks it expires and doesnt let you use telenav and then you have to reinstall crappy ole sprint nav...

its not worth trying this since your going to have to go back to sprint nav anyway
    08-09-09 03:03 PM
    I cant use sprintnav its asking me to purchase it.
    08-09-09 03:06 PM
    to OP, thanks a lot, it worked like a charm, the lady voice is much clearer.
    08-09-09 03:12 PM
    guys this is only a trial dont waste your time, i had this on my 8830 then on my 8330 now on my tour,

after 2 weeks it expires and doesnt let you use telenav and then you have to reinstall crappy ole sprint nav...

its not worth trying this since your going to have to go back to sprint nav anyway

This what I was saying earlier...telenav has a free trial for anyone and if you don't cancel then its $9.99 a month and a ***** to cancel they kept billing me for 3 months after I cancelled.

08-09-09 03:14 PM
    grandpa, I woder if its diffrent for us being on Sprint, I see you are with alltel.
    08-09-09 03:16 PM
    yea you people need to stop listening to the OP, and bury this thread cause there will be alot of people getting charged for not listening to me and dan...

on sprint your trial will expire and then you will be forced to pay to continue to use the service. ITS NOT WORTH THE DOWNLOAD stick with sprint nav as its free and not a trial
    08-09-09 03:16 PM
    Trial (how long,how much) or free? I have everything data w/ Sprint.
    08-09-09 03:17 PM
    Thanks for the headsup skunkd.

I just deleted it and my Sprint Nav still works fine.
    Last edited by 717200; 08-09-09 at 03:45 PM.
    08-09-09 03:20 PM
    Downloaded and installed Telenav successfully. It took a long time to register upon initial launch. I used the same first and last name, and email that I used when registering Sprint Nav. As mentioned by the OP, I used the last 4 digits of my phone # as my PIN number.

Telenav and Sprint Nav appear to be sharing info on my phone - no surprise here... I launched Telenav, punched in a route, started navigating, stopped navigating, closed the app....then I launched Sprint Nav, as I entered into the "Drive To" command it asked me if I wanted to continue navigation...this was the route I start while in Telenav.

I'll be curious to see if this install of Telenav is actually a 30 day free trial. I haven't really seen any differences other than those noted by the OP. I'm not really sure there's an appreciable advantage to using this version.
    08-09-09 03:25 PM
    I think the sprint version is just stamped with Sprint all over it.
    08-09-09 03:31 PM
130 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD