I accompanied my son to the local Sprint store yesterday so that he could ask a few questions regarding returning his phone due to trackball issues. Out of curiosity and boredom, I engaged the store manager in smalltalk about the Tours and their issues with respect to build dates.

First, I was flabbergasted that he knew nothing of the build dates. He didn't even know how to decipher the date on the box. He wasn't aware that the issues have been resolved with the new phones built after 8/2. Mind you, I learned of this from Sprint Corporate over a month ago.

Secondly, I asked when was the last time he received a shipment of Tours and he said, "He'd received (7) last week." I asked if he would oblige me out of curiosity and inspect the build dates on his shipment. He complied; and to my dismay, of the seven phones he received last week, only one was built after 8/2 - it was built on 9/25. The rest were built around 7/14.

What's appalling is that as I sit here ranting, someone is out there either buying a new Tour or getting theirs replaced with a new Tour under the 30-day guarantee, and next week they'll be here on the forums wondering what's wrong with their device and why it's crap. You'd think Sprint or RIM would remove all of the known defects from stock and educate the sales personnel, especially managers.
    10-21-09 02:38 PM
    Doesn't surprise... I have found the local Sprint Corporae stores... USELESS here in Louisiana!...
    10-21-09 02:53 PM
    That is why they are DEAD LAST in the customer service department. It sounds like they don't give a rat's @ss about their product and it's a shame. And to think there are people out there that need jobs and this fool has one and he can't even do his. They don't deserve the Tour or the Palm Pre.

If you ever want a laugh or two, just stop by your local (carrier) kiosk or authorized dealer. You would really be surprised by the complete lack of knowledge about the phones they sell. From the specs to the common knowledge item of why people are bringing back their phones. Shouldn't you read up on why??? Shouldn't you as a manager have a f'n clue!?!?!
    10-21-09 03:22 PM
    this doesn't surprise me one bit.. its sprint why do you think they lost there number one spot back in the day. Because of customer service.
    10-21-09 03:45 PM
    not shocked before i got my berry i had 16 htc touch pro refurbs YES 16
    10-21-09 03:49 PM
    my brother goes through Touch Pro's quite frequently as well. but it's not Sprints quality issue w/ the phone. it's their issue w/ educating their employees. And i figure, it's from the management of the store. if your manager doesn't give a rat's a** about his job and isn't making sure the employees are educated about their jobs and they just hire and lazy teenager off the street, you'll have issues. i've had decent service at sprint stores. and lately, i've had good service over the phone. 3 times i've called in, and those 3 times, i've been redirected to a Manager, that has always helped me out. their service is getting better.
    10-21-09 04:31 PM
    I liked sprint more than AT&T. Maybe even more than VZW
    10-21-09 04:35 PM
    this doesn't surprise me one bit.. its sprint why do you think they lost there number one spot back in the day. Because of customer service.
    I don't really have a complaint with CS, especially when I call Corporate. What's nuts is that they're selling known defective product. When all the dust settles, we, the consumer are gonna get punched again. Sprint's gonna have to recoup their losses by escalating their rates. Jeez, imagine the shipping charges incurred sending 2-5 phones to the same customer. That alone will probably send them into bankruptcy.
    10-21-09 04:49 PM
    Man, you guys are right! Why aren't they reading the crackberry forums right now?!?!?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-09 04:58 PM
    Wow, you do know that on you 3rd replacement, they will give you a BNIB unit.
    10-21-09 05:01 PM
    My wife went to the local Sprint store and picked up a Tour for herself last week. I was disappointed to see the build date of 7/12. Decided that we would try it before we returned it. It's fine, apparently they are not all bad. I went through 3 phones to get a good one in August. But, the assumption that they are all bad before a certain date is not accurate.
    10-21-09 05:12 PM
    I just got my 4th Tour on monday and it has a build date of Oct 8. I guess it depends on the store because I was having trackball and muffled sound issues and Sprint swapped out my phone after having over 60 days. I can't complain .

10-21-09 05:32 PM
    I've been with Sprint for over 6 years, never a problem with corporate or their stores. I've been to the stores several times and found them quite helpful, partly because i've done my homework and know what the heck i'm talking about.

Also, with the new CEO, their CS has drastically improved. I read an article somewhere recently about customer satisfaction surveys and they're no longer last, in fact they're up there with Verizon. =D
    10-21-09 06:21 PM

Also, with the new CEO, their CS has drastically improved. I read an article somewhere recently about customer satisfaction surveys and they're no longer last, in fact they're up there with Verizon. =D

I beleive that was the NY cs survey in which T-Mobile ranked 1st, Big Red & Sprint were tied for 2nd, and at&t at 4th place.
    10-21-09 06:25 PM
    I have no issues with Sprint service either. I have been with them for over 10 years and personally they have always been good. Every companyhas its issues of CS problem and for someone to deny this is pure lie. I am on my 3rd tour and got it replaced at a Sprint Corporate store and they were well aware of the issues. Each experience is different so I would not got and generalize the situation, just my 2 cents
    10-21-09 06:55 PM
    ...I am on my 3rd tour and got it replaced at a Sprint Corporate store and they were well aware of the issues.
    This thread is about the fact that you're on your 3rd Tour and Sprint is knowingly selling defects. Your story highlights the problem with Sprint. I'm befuddled as to how you can be OK with that.

10-21-09 08:08 PM
    I agree that these stores should have a better understanding of what is going on.

That being said, this whole notion that the trackballs were fixed after the date you mentioned is the internet forum equivalent of the Loch ness monster. I'm on my third replacement Tour, due to the trackball issue. It was made after the date you listed, and unfortunately it has developed the trackball problem. I had to bump up my horizontal sensitivity, but now it is too jumpy.

I'm not the only one to complain of the trackball issues with a phone made after the supposed cut-off date.

I think the trackball on the Tour wasn't designed very well. Some are worse than others, but at the end of the day I think they are way too susceptible to dirt/dust, etc.
    10-21-09 08:54 PM
    ...this whole notion that the trackballs were fixed after the date you mentioned is the internet forum equivalent of the Loch ness monster.
    While it is entirely possible that the re-manufacturing of the trackball assembly having transpired after 8/2 could be a fallacy, it is a little deeper than merely internet rumors as I was advised of this information by Sprint's Order Support Team. I was engaged in a battle over having my defective device replaced with a new one and the Rep assured me that he would ensure that I received a unit that was manufactured after the aforementioned date, essentially guaranteeing me an updated flawless device.

Upon receiving my new device (which was built on 9/24), comparison between the two yields a difference likening that of apples to oranges. Based on my elaborate inspection / comparison of the devices, I am truly convinced that there were hardware changes made. This is not to say that all devices manufactured after any certain date will be free from defect.

The reason I'm so revved-up and passionate is because Sprint tells me [personally] a certain lot is defective and then I witness them selling those defects to unsuspecting consumers; all the while I sit here and read about people who are working on their fifth or sixth phone within a 3-month period.
    Last edited by RegE; 10-21-09 at 10:39 PM.
    10-21-09 10:28 PM
    Thats HTC Not sprint, the touch pro was a POS
    10-21-09 11:08 PM
    Well, I was going to buy a Tour this Friday from Best Buy but I guess I'll get something else...
    10-21-09 11:34 PM
    Several people flame the tour, but stop to realize how many people have had success with the Tour. This is my first Tour and have had 0 problems with it. None what so ever. Stop flamming Sprint because their devices weren't the only ones affected. Its a phone people, not life.

10-21-09 11:56 PM
    Couldn't agree more. I went through 3 of those in less than 3 months. Great phone, terrible build quality.

After my 3rd replacement failing, Sprint gave me a full upgrade. I tried a Pre, hated it and now have the Tour.

I will say, the guys at my Sprint Store are fantastic. I'm on a first name basis with them, and they really do know their stuff. I don't believe it's a corporate store though.

I had AT&T for years and been with sprint since about 2005 or so. I love Sprint. Regardless of some bad phones, they have always made it right.
    10-22-09 12:30 AM
    Sprint Cs Has Always Been Good With Me, Had Issues With My Tour And Rite Away I Either Go To The Nearest Or Wait Till Next Day To Arrive From Ups! Btw If You Want A Better Deal On Phones Always Call Cs U Get Discounts...just My Opinion
    10-22-09 04:19 AM

no that was sprint and they refused to replace it with a new phone i was told i had to BUY a new phone
    10-22-09 05:46 AM
    Sprint Cs Has Always Been Good With Me, Had Issues With My Tour And Rite Away I Either Go To The Nearest Or Wait Till Next Day To Arrive From Ups! Btw If You Want A Better Deal On Phones Always Call Cs U Get Discounts...just My Opinion
    thats the key!

Make the call.
    10-22-09 07:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD