Hi, i ordered a sprint bb tour thinking that its a world phone and am going to be in China for a long time and want to use a local china gsm sim. Read in some threads that Sprint locks the GSM but also in others that it is not locked...

So...is it locked or no? Thanks..
    Last edited by feeldivine; 07-15-09 at 04:28 AM.
    07-15-09 04:25 AM
    It is locked
    07-15-09 04:26 AM
    thanks! is there a way to unlock it?
    07-15-09 04:31 AM
    There are various sites that you can pay to have it unlocked
    07-15-09 04:36 AM
    guess thats my only option...or maybe Sprint will help...u think?
    07-15-09 04:39 AM
    Sprint Tour is unlocked. Verizon Tour is locked..I test mine and its unlocked.
    07-15-09 04:47 AM
    hitnar , i really really hope this is right...or i have to ok the order and cross my fingers till it gets to me

pls pls pls...let it be unlocked...
    07-15-09 05:01 AM
    incorrect... Verizon locks their phones.. Sprint does not

a simple call to CS should allay any fears.. note that using a prepaid sim will usually not get you data services, just voice and txt.

It is locked
    Last edited by mystic205; 07-15-09 at 06:56 AM. Reason: clarification..
    07-15-09 06:54 AM
    incorrect... Verizon locks their phones.. Sprint does not

a simple call to CS should allay any fears.. note that using a prepaid sim will usually not get you data services, just voice and txt.
    thanks! i have a company account with China mobile and have activated their bb data plan on that china sim card, so i guess if the sprint tour is unlocked, i should be able to use both voice and data..
    07-16-09 12:14 AM
    thanks! i have a company account with China mobile and have activated their bb data plan on that china sim card, so i guess if the sprint tour is unlocked, i should be able to use both voice and data..
    Have you found out if your sprint tour is unlocked. Id like to know the details if your phone is 100% unlocked.

Thank you.
    07-16-09 07:28 PM
    I think the sprint tour is locked. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a UK tmobile sim card that still works. I put it into my sprint tour and it says invalid sim. I looked at the way the chip looks like on my tmobile UK sim card and this one is bigger than the sim card that came with the sprint tour (sprint sim card).

I have not called sprint to activate the world whatever service. I was thinking that if I did, it would unlock it? I have no other simcard that I could test.

Anyone else have some ideas or is their sprint tour locked or unlocked?

Thanks,

GC
    07-16-09 10:25 PM
    Hmm well maybe you have to call to unlock the device? I'm just asking before i get the phone i really like to know this before i go ahead and get it.
    07-16-09 10:41 PM
    I have the Sprint Tour and I put in a Vodafone SIM from Australia and it does NOT work. The Sprint Tour is indeed locked!
    07-16-09 10:53 PM
    My question is do you have to call sprint to get it unlocked? since its a world phone.
    07-16-09 10:59 PM
    i have to tried to put an att sim card in my sprint tour. the chip on the back of the card is bigger than the chip on mine it it tells me invalid sim? does this have to do with the different sized chip or is sprint's tour locked?
    07-16-09 11:29 PM
    The Sprint Tour is INDEED locked... and good luck trying to get Sprint to unlock it. Several people over at SprintUsers have had no such luck getting an unlock code. Apparently when they called in, Sprint had NO clue what they were asking for. (Not too surprised about that one)

So... until Sprint knows what's going on as far as unlock codes for the Tour, the only option for now is to pay a site that has unlock codes.
    07-16-09 11:30 PM
    I wasn't aware sim chips come in diff sizes...

It seems that its locked. Ppl who say its unlocked, how do u reach that conclusion?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 12:14 AM
    Have you found out if your sprint tour is unlocked. Id like to know the details if your phone is 100% unlocked.

Thank you.
    i'll only know when it arrives. unlocking it doesnt seem to be such a big deal from what i've read...*fingers still crossed*
    07-17-09 12:22 AM
    I think the sprint tour is locked. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a UK tmobile sim card that still works. I put it into my sprint tour and it says invalid sim. I looked at the way the chip looks like on my tmobile UK sim card and this one is bigger than the sim card that came with the sprint tour (sprint sim card).

I have not called sprint to activate the world whatever service. I was thinking that if I did, it would unlock it? I have no other simcard that I could test.

Anyone else have some ideas or is their sprint tour locked or unlocked?

Thanks,

GC
    i have no idea that sim cards come in different sizes! are you sure!?
    07-17-09 12:25 AM
    yea, the my sprint sim card was the same size as att, but the chip that actually gets read in the phone, the goldish piece on the bottom, are different sizes
    07-17-09 12:59 AM
    yea, the my sprint sim card was the same size as att, but the chip that actually gets read in the phone, the goldish piece on the bottom, are different sizes
    i dont think that'll be a problem...yeah you are right, the goldish piece is different in size but i put the china sim into my curve and it reads it (on roaming)...so it has to be that the tour is indeed locked...
    07-17-09 01:06 AM
    I you go to the Sprint website and click on the more info link under the listing for the tour, then the "full feature list" tab, it says:

Unlocked SIM Device

Use in-market carrier SIM cards while traveling abroad.

Maybe it won't let you use the sim card when its not roaming
    07-17-09 01:17 AM
    I just looked at the Sprint Tour user guide and it says:

Prior to using your Sprint Worldwide GSM Data Services, you must establish and utilize your CDMA data services domestically on the Nationwide Sprint Network.

It also says that you have to call Sprint and enable global roaming in order to use a foreign SIM.

User Guide:
    https://www.sprint.com/cdma/assets/p...30_tour_ug.pdf

The user guide also says...

Getting Started With Sprint Worldwide Service

Before using your BlackBerry device in global roaming mode, you must activate Sprint
    Worldwide service.

To activate Sprint Worldwide service:

Chat with or email an international support rep by visiting International Wireless Service – From Sprint
    and clicking the Chat with us or Email us link on the right side of the screen.
    – or –
    Call Sprint Worldwide Customer Support at 1-888-226-7212, option 2.
    Last edited by clexman; 07-17-09 at 01:40 AM.
    07-17-09 01:33 AM
    I saw on craigslist that they have a posting for an unlocked verizon tour. They said it worken on ATT, but not on T-Mobile.

Anyone know why? Could it be that the IMEI has to be changed with the provider?
    07-17-09 01:34 AM
    I just looked at the Sprint Tour user guide and it says:

Prior to using your Sprint Worldwide GSM Data Services, you must establish and utilize your CDMA data services domestically on the Nationwide Sprint Network.

It also says that you have to call Sprint and enable global roaming in order to use a foreign SIM.

User Guide:
    https://www.sprint.com/cdma/assets/p...30_tour_ug.pdf

The user guide also says...

Getting Started With Sprint Worldwide Service

Before using your BlackBerry device in global roaming mode, you must activate Sprint
    Worldwide service.

To activate Sprint Worldwide service:

Chat with or email an international support rep by visiting International Wireless Service – From Sprint
    and clicking the Chat with us or Email us link on the right side of the screen.
    � or �
    Call Sprint Worldwide Customer Support at 1-888-226-7212, option 2.
    erm i think it says that you have to call Sprint and enable global roaming in order to use a the Sprint SIM card.
    07-17-09 01:47 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD