Okay, so I'm running the latest Verizon OS for the Tour and I am seriously about to chunk the phone out my office window! I have never had this many problems with my Blackberry Sound Profiles before. I guess I should break down my problem instead of continuing to rant.

Okay, so I'm pretty simple. I use Vibrate, Norman, Silent, and a custom profile called Professional. Silent and Vibrate work fine. When someone calls or I get some sort of message it is either Silent or it Vibrates. Perfect, RIM seems to be able to get their profiles to work if you leave them in the default settings.

Professional is set for when I'm in an environment where I don't what some 30 second MP3 blasting my latest music craze. The only problem is that I don't want all MP3's negated. I want regular messages and calls to follow my profile. However, there are a few contacts that I have custom Message and Phone Tones set for, and they don't activate. I can't figure out why. Also, another problem is sometimes the tones are...weird.

For example, I have a contact named Chance and a contact named Sheree. Neither of them have a custom Message/Phone tone. Therefore, they should get whatever my profile is set at. When Sheree calls I get a completely different ringer. When chance SMS messages me, instead of getting my Sonar message tone, he gets the tone that I have set for MMS...can't figure out why.

Now on to Normal. I had Telephone set for my Blackberry Messenger. I changed it to In My Head...it still plays Telephone. When people call they either have a normal phone ringer, Sheree has her usual ringer, or they might actually get the ringer I have set for Normal.

All in all, my profiles are just plain JACKED! There are so many problems with them at the present, that I couldn't tell you if those are the only problems I'm getting or not.
    05-05-10 10:55 AM
    What version of the OS are you using? OS 5.x does address some profile problems that the original 4.7 OS had, although the Verizion OS 5 is a bit buggy in other areas. The sprint version seems to make some folks happy and the mts OS also is reasonable.
    05-05-10 11:49 AM
    Try taking all the punctuation out of your profiles phone numbers. This will fix your custom ringtones for text/messages. It's a work around for a bug in the OS 5.0.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-10 12:50 PM
    It is OS 5 by Verizon. Those phone numbers in question have no punctuation in the actual. One of them the name has a dash in the name field, but the phone field is just the number all ran together: 555555555555
    05-05-10 01:34 PM
    Have a friend experiencing the same problems and she asked me to help but this is driving me crazy. I cannot figure it out and can't find an answer that works on the boards here. This is the first time I have ever encountered a problem that I could not find an answer to here on CB.

With hers she has custom ringtones set up for certain people for calls and messages. For me she has one ringtone when I call and a different one when I text. Well regardless of if I call or text she gets an entirely different ringtone and it's the same ringtone for everyone, regardless if she has a custom one for them.

Like I said it's really frustrating because I can't even find an explanation for her. What's even weirder is I downgraded her OS back to 4.7 and all the ringtones work as they should but when I upgrade back to OS 5.0 from Verizon the ringtones are all messed up again.
    05-05-10 02:56 PM
    I have Verizon os 5.0 and I use the profile named "normal" but with a different ring tone. Sometimes the custom ring tone works and other times it does not. Its very very annoying and nothing I can do works.
    05-05-10 04:16 PM
    I have the same problem with my ringtones; had it on 4.7, still have it on 5.0
    05-05-10 04:18 PM
    The work around has worked for so many people. I wished I could help. I do have other profile issues that I have to just live with. The more I tried to edit the profiles, the more they didn't work. So I set everything back to the default and made sure all the hyphens were out of the numbers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-10 07:56 PM
    The only workaround for stuff like this that I have found is to remove custom sms and phone ringtones from contacts and just use the default. I have never had luck with assigning custom stuff to contacts. It just never works as you want it to.
    05-05-10 08:29 PM
    Okay, here is what progress I've made so far. Last night I found that if you click the "Speaker" icon that allows you to switch Profiles, or update profiles, there is a setting at the very bottom called Set Caller Alerts. If you click that you see all the alerts you set for every caller. I hit the Delete key on every caller and just deleted every single custom Caller Alert.

Next I went into the Profiles and set them up exactly like I wanted them. After they were set up, I waited a couple hours and tested them out. I had people call me, text me, bbm, sent E-Mails to myself, etc. After finding that it was a success I went to the contacts that I wanted custom alerts on, and set the alerts. Once more I did another round of tests.

Now at this point the only problem I have is that Vibrate and Silent do NOT override the custom alerts. I think this has to do with my sound preferences overriding the default profile sounds (only because some ringtone volumes are not the same as others). However, I believe that as long as you put the Vibrate and Sound/Ringer features on the custom to "Use Profile Settings" or whatever it is called, then on Silent and Vibrate it will use those settings, and on the other profiles however you have the Volume/LED/Vibrate/Holster will take preference.

As a fix to the volume issue I am putting all my MP3's into Audacity and adjusting their volume levels to all be the same.

Now I'm not 100% sure that this is the perfect fix, as I'm only a day into the testing, but thus far I am happy with the results.
    05-07-10 09:59 AM
    I have the same problem with my ringtones ..4.7 OS
    05-07-10 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD