New to the BB, never had an SOS message before. Exactly what is it and how can I get rid of it?
    08-14-09 11:20 PM
    Nevermind guys. For some reason, the Tour decided to switch over to GSM. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
    08-14-09 11:27 PM
    Mine just did the same exact thing. I came onto the forum to search for my answer and found this without looking to hard as it was the top post. Weird.
    08-14-09 11:30 PM
    Yeah, I kinda want to know what that is as well....
    08-14-09 11:32 PM
    Weird...I'm thinking that something must have happened with the network because it happened just after Midnight.
    08-14-09 11:34 PM
    Did yours reconnect to the network? Because mine didn't.

EDIT: I take that back. Quickpull, FTW

It shows no signal, as do the 4 other Verizon phones in my house. (Both berrys and non-berry)
    08-14-09 11:40 PM
    No, had to reconnect it. Go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Network Technology > 1EXV

thats what fixed the BB, not sure how to do it on any of the other devices though
    08-14-09 11:42 PM
    I just looked under mobile network options and it was set to global not 1XEV. Does it make a difference?
    08-15-09 12:10 AM
    I just looked under mobile network options and it was set to global not 1XEV. Does it make a difference?
    If you usually don't travel abroad then YES! If you set it too 1XEV you will notice a substantially longer battery life, especially in a low signal area...
    08-15-09 12:25 AM
    Well I found an explanation of "SOS" on our blackberries, I did a "google" search and found this at blackberrycool.com

The SOS indicates that you can only place emergency calls. Usually this means that you have a bad SIM card in your device, either one that has been corrupted or one from another carrier that is not compatible with your BlackBerry. You will either need to replace the SIM with a SIM from the carrier of your handheld or get your BlackBerry unlock. This feature is actually something that the carriers don’t really advertise. Where you are able to place emergency calls to 911, even if you don’t have a carrier account, just need a working cell phone.
    08-15-09 12:31 AM
    I notice this on my Storm too...it doesn't switch itself...
    But if you try to switch to GSM from CDMA network...SOS appears....

I keep mine on the "global" setting....

Will my battery last longer if I strictly keep it to the "1XEV" setting vs the "global" setting?
    08-15-09 12:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD