CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default SOS instead of signal strength?? Why does this happen

Hello All,
    Since Friday I have had the red SOS instead of signal strength. This never happened on my world phone. Verizon Customer service was no real help. The first rep didn't know anything about it. The tech support rep could not tell me why this was happening.
    Any thoughts?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    NED To A Wall

SOS - means there is concern with the SIM card in the device. Remove the sim card and put it back in. See if this helps. If you are using it, the just remove it till you need it. Also make sure there is not damage or dirt on the SIM card. Does not hurt to take a soft cloth and GENTLY clean the contacts.
    RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

The only stupid question, is the one not asked.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lastraid View Post
    SOS - means there is concern with the SIM card in the device. Remove the sim card and put it back in. See if this helps. If you are using it, the just remove it till you need it. Also make sure there is not damage or dirt on the SIM card. Does not hurt to take a soft cloth and GENTLY clean the contacts.
    ^^This is not true at all! ^^

When your phone is showing SOS, you are connected to a domestic GSM (or CDMA?) carrier. (eg. AT&T) Your phone has no provider it can roam on so your phone will only work in a emergency situation to call like 911. Since it is a global phone, you have more networks that the phone will work with in an emergency situation. Hope this clears it up for you!

I had this happen while traveling in the mountainous areas of Italy just recently with my 8830. I would have intermittent service in some of the more remote areas and occasionally none-at-all or I would see the Red SOS indicator.

I am not exactly sure what it meant over there but figured it was reaching some emergency receiver if necessary but that a
    "regular" call would not work.

edited to add:

I've been in some very remote locations on the Cascades/Sierra and never seen an SOS signal. No signal at all in those cases.
    Last edited by F2; 07-19-2009 at 11:42 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

Very bad coverage, but enough to make a 911 call. I think the phone will go into a "desperate for signal" mode that expends a lot more power, but will save your life.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Correct - you are most likely in a GSM (AT&T) only area. I work deep underground. We have a in house GSM (AT&T) network but not a CDMA/Verizon network. All day my phone says SOS and only allows for 911 calls. When I get out of 'the dungeon' (above ground) my phone flips back over to normal.
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you selected automatically select between gsm and cdma when you first got your phone, then when there is bad or no verizon signal it will switch to gsm. To stop this either remove your vz sim alltogether or goto manage connections, mobile network options and change it from global to 1xev. And problem solved

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Thanks to all that answered. It hasn't happened again. There was a bad thunderstorm. i wonder if the weather has something to do with it.
    I definitely need a phone to be working all the time. I work in the community with kids who have mental health issues. SOS on the phone can be a major problem.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Red SOS - no signal

I have a Blackberry 9630 and for no reason, was not getting any signal due to a red SOS being displayed where I would normally see my bars for signal strength. After calling Verizon tech support, it was a quick and easy fix.

Click on the options icon (the one that looks like a wrench); scroll down and select "Mobile Network"; if your problem is like mine was, notice that the Mobile Network is not your existing carrier? Mine was showing AT&T, then T-Mobile! Under "Network Technology", my options are "GSM/UMTS", "1XEV", and "Global" --- "GSM/UMTS" was selected, making my phone a 'global' phone. After changing this selection to "1XEV", my phone immediately began functioning properly again!!!

Hope this was helpful to anyone out there with this same problem. I was on hold, waiting for a technition, longer than it took to fix it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

+1 on that suggestion - was going to post for the OP when I saw yours first!

Besides assuring a regular signal on your "global" phone when you're in your ordinary home coverage area, I found that switching the network technology setting to 1XEV also helped the phone conserve some battery life. In the "global" mode, the phone will tend to expend some energy trying to constantly find whatever type of signal is available. That's wasted energy in an area where you already know what kind of coverage your regular carrier is providing. Might as well save some power.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

maybe your phone is calling for help lol
    CrackBerry User

I just keep a T-Mobile GSM SIM card in mine, so when i go into GSM only areas with Sprint i get service just fine
    Currently Using BlackBerry Bold 9700 on T-Mobile

Only 2 Dropped calls in four years - Take that Verizon!
    CrackBerry Abuser

When I'm not abroad, I flip my SIM card upside down so that the phone does not search for a GSM signal in fringe CDMA coverage. My phone is usually set for 1XEV mode only, but sometimes it drops into Global mode for no apparent reason.