When I was setting up my Tour, I deleted all other languages but English from it. Does this delete the SureType option as well?? If so, how do I restore it?
    07-15-09 08:05 PM
    Anyone? Didnt know qwerty phones had sure type??? How would that be helpful?
    07-15-09 08:09 PM
    Suretype not available until 5.0.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 08:12 PM
    cjjeffers, SureType is two components - a hardware component (the two letters per key keyboard that is featured on the Pearl) and the software component (which predicts words based on the keys that you're hitting). The word is that RIM is planning to implement a version of the software component for full QWERTY devices.

LindsayRenee, my understanding is that SureType has not been implemented yet in the software for full QWERTY devices; I don't think that's coming until the 5.0 OS is released.
    07-15-09 08:16 PM
    I was reading an article when Tifoso posted, but I'll go ahead and link to the article. Only some BB models have suretype now, but according to this article from a month ago on the Tour launch: "Just revealed today, it appears the new OS 5.0 will include SureType support for QWERTY devices, making it even easier and faster to type on a BB."
    07-15-09 08:19 PM
    The only reason I asked was because when I went to the help section, "Language," "Change the Input options for SureType Technology"- it seemed to look like it was an option
    07-15-09 08:26 PM
    A little birdie told me they cancelled the suretype for qwerty devices

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 08:43 PM
    I hope that isn't true! It is one of the features I am missing most in my change transition from Treo to Tour. Fortunately there are lots of great new things to learn that distract me!
    07-16-09 01:27 AM
    The only reason I asked was because when I went to the help section, "Language," "Change the Input options for SureType Technology"- it seemed to look like it was an option
    I'm just speculating, but that's probably because it's a generic help file. That same entry is present on the Curve 8900's help section, and that device has been around long enough that if there was a SureType option to enable, someone would've found it by now. My bet is that if you go into the help files for any device that was released since RIM's first SureType device, you'll find that entry there.
    07-16-09 03:08 AM
    umm...

sorry if i sound wicked confused, but the suretype is only on the pearl..

Suretype was developed for a different keyboard than qwerty... The pearl has two letters per key, as opposed to a regular phone 3/4 per key, and a 1 for 1 like curve and palm devices..

I really do not see how it (suretype) can have any value for a one letter per key system.. the layout is totally different..

I hope that isn't true! It is one of the features I am missing most in my change transition from Treo to Tour. Fortunately there are lots of great new things to learn that distract me!
    07-16-09 06:59 AM
    umm...

Suretype was developed for a different keyboard than qwerty... The pearl has two letters per key, as opposed to a regular phone 3/4 per key, and a 1 for 1 like curve and palm devices..

I really do not see how it (suretype) can have any value for a one letter per key system.. the layout is totally different..
    SureType was also on the Storm. It is the "predictive text" aspect of SureType that we want to use.
    07-16-09 07:04 AM
    Man, SureType on a qwerty would make composing messages / creating docs a breeze.

I love BlackBerry!!
    07-16-09 07:15 AM
    I was reading someone testing the latest 5.0 beta version and SureType wasn't in it. It would be interesting to have the option to turn it on or off with qwerty devices.
    07-16-09 07:16 AM
    07-16-09 12:14 PM
    umm...

SureType would actually be more precise on a one letter per key system. On a Pearl keypad, where there are two letters per key, every time you hit a key, the predictive text would have to calculate the most likely words based on the combinations of both possible letters -- so if you pressed the "D F" key, followed by the "U I" key, SureType would have to present you with a list of words starting with DU, DI, FU, and FI. If you were trying to type "duck," the system would never fully drill down to just that word because the same combination of keys also gives you "d-i-c-k" (and if you have swear words programed into your custom dictionary, it gives you "f*ck"). But on a full QWERTY system, if you press D, then U, it would only have to present you with words starting with DU. Having one letter per key helps the predictive text drill down to the word you actually want at an earlier stage in the typing -- using the same "duck" example, by the time you got through d-u-c, it probably would have eliminated every other possible word and just given you duck.
    07-16-09 01:28 PM
    This is one thing I miss about the storm... It had predictive with the landscape qwerty...
    07-16-09 01:57 PM
    My interpretation of "suretype" was the keyboard, not the predictive text aspect.. i DID say wicked confused didnt I?..lol

I guess i am one of the few that really do not care for T9 or any other predictive texting..

SureType would actually be more precise on a one letter per key system. On a Pearl keypad, where there are two letters per key, every time you hit a key, the predictive text would have to calculate the most likely words based on the combinations of both possible letters -- so if you pressed the "D F" key, followed by the "U I" key, SureType would have to present you with a list of words starting with DU, DI, FU, and FI. If you were trying to type "duck," the system would never fully drill down to just that word because the same combination of keys also gives you "d-i-c-k" (and if you have swear words programed into your custom dictionary, it gives you "f*ck"). But on a full QWERTY system, if you press D, then U, it would only have to present you with words starting with DU. Having one letter per key helps the predictive text drill down to the word you actually want at an earlier stage in the typing -- using the same "duck" example, by the time you got through d-u-c, it probably would have eliminated every other possible word and just given you duck.
    07-16-09 02:49 PM
    Here's Kevin's blog from June with another member's video of Suretype in action on a Bold.
    I sooo want this for the Tour!
    07-16-09 06:23 PM
    I didn't like predictive texting at first. Then I found out you could get it to show 3 word choices, and it 'learned' words you type often. It got to where I almost never typed an entire word on the Treo.
    07-18-09 12:56 AM
    I loved the predictive text on my Q. It would predict up to the next 4 words. Rarely got 4 that I wanted but when it did it was sweet. Usually got 1-2 words just by typing in 2-3 letters of the first word. It was pretty sweet. If they add it to qwerty BlackBerrys that would be cool.
    07-18-09 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD