Sorry that there are additional posts about this topic, but will there or will there not be true web browsing like on an iPhone? I hate that mobile web crap and the "mobile" versions of websites. I want all the pics and stuff on yahoo loaded no matter how long it takes. The main reason I am asking is because I tested out my friends VZW BB Pearl and some of the pages you go to on the browser (ex. I tested Yahoo!) are loaded as the mobile version, including popular sites like yahoo and ESPN. Is that because of a setting he has or just the way BB browsers are?
    06-24-09 12:38 AM
    It's because of a setting, but don't expect full HTML from RIM just yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 12:58 AM
    pretty sure it doesn't and i think it was confirmed in the " I got my Tour" thread
    06-24-09 12:59 AM
    i tloads most pages pretty dang decently but the default bb browser is not webkit..

you can tell the browser to act like its internet explorer or firefox which forces the full version of the website to load..

there is alternate browsers that work well

IE bolt which is closer to that of a Iphone webkit browser..

also on the way is skyfire which is said to be one of the best browsers for a mobile device..
    06-24-09 01:04 AM
    I use bolt and its pretty good I like it better than opera

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 02:02 AM
    Some have said that Skyfire for BB will be a game changer. We shall see, right now it's just in private testing on the Bold.
    06-24-09 07:53 AM
    Forgive this newb question, and move me if I am in the wrong place...

BB's can use 3rd party browsers for full-on true web browsing?
    06-24-09 09:57 AM
    opera works well, and I hear good things about skyfire when it comes out of private beta...
    06-24-09 10:01 AM
    I had a lot of problems with Bolt on my curve.

I have my BB Browser on my curve set to emulate IE I think, and it loads most webpages like a real webpage. There are some problems with some websites, and some get all weird when you zoom in, but it doesn't bug me that much.
    06-24-09 10:50 AM
    Some have said that Skyfire for BB will be a game changer. We shall see, right now it's just in private testing on the Bold.
    My Friend on a winmo phone has skyfire and bolt (i told him of bolt). He prefers bolt. Skyfire is slow at rendering pages and takes forever to zoom in. Only thing that bolt wont do yet is play youtube. If skyfire for bb is anything like the winmo one I doubt it will be a game changer. I really hope that it is a game changer, that would be great.
    06-24-09 11:15 AM
    Does the browser give more emulation options besides IE? (Safari, firefox?)
    06-24-09 11:17 AM
    Forgive this newb question, and move me if I am in the wrong place...

BB's can use 3rd party browsers for full-on true web browsing?

absolutely..

Bolt and opera are a perfect example..

Bolt I find to be better then opera..

and skyfire is supposed to be amazing and include flash support.. (not out yet though)
    06-24-09 03:48 PM
    Rad, THANK YOU
    06-24-09 04:05 PM
    sorry for hijacking this thread for a moment, sorta germane, but is there a way to have 'other' programs be standard?

for instance, i like bolt, and when i have certain emailed links, when i click on the link, i would like to open with bold, not the bb browswer. same was true for pdfs. the native pdf reading on my curve is horrible. I tried a 3d party program, but first i had to save attachement, get out of email, open 3d part pdf, then find saved file. I wanted to open pdf with a different reader direct from email.

back on thread, best web experience i have had so far is with iphone. it's like being on a computer. i am hoping the tour's browser is much better than the curve. i played with att bold, and the browser on that rendered pages much better than my curve. hoping tour is at least that good.
    06-24-09 04:42 PM
    I think skyfire will definitly be a game changer as soon as it comes out of beta for the BB's... full html+flash support!

Skyfire: Press
    06-24-09 05:55 PM
    Browser not like iphone but browser is pretty good. If you need it look like computer use bolt or opera. Skyfire be ready next year and be great.
    06-24-09 06:04 PM
    Does the browser give more emulation options besides IE? (Safari, firefox?)
    options r bb, ie, and firefox
    06-24-09 06:27 PM
    you'll be disappointed if you expect a rich surfing experience from the native BB browser. You'll be relying on Skyfire and other mobile browsers to fill the void.
    06-24-09 08:49 PM
    Played with a tour today. It'll be on the 4.7.1.36 sw and it is an AWESOME device. trackball is flush with the screen, and screen is glass. Keyboard is very similar to 8830. Brace yourselves!
    06-24-09 09:03 PM
    I think skyfire will definitly be a game changer as soon as it comes out of beta for the BB's... full html+flash support!

Skyfire: Press
    sorry, don't think skyfire will have flash on a bb. flash on a bb has to be developed by adobe, and they haven't succeeded yet. skyfire flash will only work on devices already running flash (winmo and symbian).
    06-24-09 09:35 PM
    sorry, don't think skyfire will have flash on a bb. flash on a bb has to be developed by adobe, and they haven't succeeded yet. skyfire flash will only work on devices already running flash (winmo and symbian).
    No.

Everything is handled by the Skyfire servers and then pushed out to the device. Iirc, Symbian and WM6.1 do not currently support Flash either, until it goes beta later this year.

Adobe Flash for mobiles was premiered with the HTC Hero, which is plastered all over the internet currently
    06-24-09 09:38 PM
    No.

Everything is handled by the Skyfire servers and then pushed out to the device. Iirc, Symbian and WM6.1 do not currently support Flash either, until it goes beta later this year.

Adobe Flash for mobiles was premiered with the HTC Hero, which is plastered all over the internet currently
    Yep! Everything is rendered serverside by Skyfire(thus you have their servers IP which in some cases can cause issues with hulu) and then the pages are compressed and pushed to the device and rendering by the device side browser. Flash and any other web apps are completely usable because the phone has absolutely no part in actually rendering the page or playing the videos.

That said I can assure you it is definitely the quickest browser(At least on WinMo) at the moment, with Opera Mobile(Not Mini) coming up w/ 9.7 and having Opera Turbo the speed race is gonna get close.

Over all it's pretty impressive, though can sometimes have issues, because of they way they have everything schnazzly set up it can't properly function with text boxes within flash apps and a few little problems here and there.
    Last edited by Arreat; 06-25-09 at 03:42 AM.
    06-25-09 03:19 AM

this is not correct...

skyfire uses server side rendering and pushes it to the device
    06-25-09 03:23 AM
    That said I can assure you it is definitely the quickest browser(At least on WinMo) at the moment, with Opera Mobile(Not Mini) coming up w/ 9.7 and having Opera Turbo.

thanks.. whats opera turbo supposed to do technology wize?
    06-25-09 04:33 AM
    this is not correct...

skyfire uses server side rendering and pushes it to the device
    I'll believe it when I see it. Would love for it to happen though!
    06-25-09 08:40 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD