(dont flame me, just hear me out)

So i currently own a Curve 8900 but im switching to sprint because the network is so much better in my area

but anyways..... ive wanted and waited for the tour and wouldnt settle for anything less because i love blackberries (ive owned alot of em). However my uncle is letting me borrow his pre until my contract is up and i have to say this phone is AMAZING and after reading the forums over here (on a blackberry forum none the less) it just seems like everybody whining and complaining about the tour has just about made me change my mind.

so i wanna hear some positive things about the tour from people who actually own it and use it because, its nice to hear some good stuff once in a while besides everyone complaining about such a great phone

(oh and i dont wanna hear everyone hating on the pre if youve never used one, im a blackberry addict and i have to say that this phone is great and can do many things blackberries java OS cant)
    Last edited by scottfitz09; 07-21-09 at 01:27 AM.
    07-21-09 01:24 AM

So i currently own a Curve 8900 but im switching to sprint because the network is so much better in my area

but anyways..... ive wanted and waited for the tour and wouldnt settle for anything less because i love blackberries (ive owned alot of em). However my uncle is letting me borrow his pre until my contract is up and i have to say this phone is AMAZING and after reading the forums over here (on a blackberry forum none the less) it just seems like everybody whining and complaining about the tour has just about made me change my mind.

so i wanna hear some positive things about the tour from people who actually own it and use it because, its nice to hear some good stuff once in a while besides everyone complaining about such a great phone

(oh and i dont wanna hear everyone hating on the pre if youve never used one, im a blackberry addict and i have to say that this phone is great and can do many things blackberries java OS cant)
    LMAO. You changed your mind because of some posted issues? Come on...read up in the Pre forums or look at the "I returned my pre for a blackberry post". You will find mostly negative in any forum because people are looking for help with their issues. The fact is, the negative posts are a minute percentage of the people who have bought the Tour or any other product. Do your own research and make your own decisions. There are plenty of Pre vs Tour posts to look at. I like my Tour for the same reasons as I posted in the "if you like your pre post here" forum.

And why would you not want any Pre bashing, but yet you want to know why you should pick the Tour over the Pre? Part of the decision making process is looking at the negatives as well as the positives. Chances are most people in this forum have never used a Pre.
    Last edited by mjs31; 07-21-09 at 02:01 AM.
    07-21-09 01:59 AM

Well I think that I can provide you with some useful information as I was the first person in line on June 6, at my local Best Buy to pickup the Palm Pre. I thoroughly enjoyed the Pre and think that it is a wonderful device for somebody who is not used to the speed and efficiency of the Blackberry. Ultimately I returned my Pre on June 24 and purchased the Tour this past Sunday.

As I stated the Pre is a wonderful device. The WebOS platform is one of if not the best mobile OS on the market right now. WebOS is very smooth and intuitive. The notifications on the Pre were also dynamite and are probably one of the biggest features I miss having moved back to Blackberries/Tour. Additionally the internet on the Pre was amazing and fast, which is more than I can say about the internet on the Tour.

What ultimately led me to decide against the Pre was the keyboard. I am used to top notch keyboards on my mobile devices and the keyboard on the Pre just didn't make the cut. the keyboard was too cramped with small keys that had poor feedback. I just couldn't type with the speed or accuracy that I have grown accustomed to over the years. Also the battery life on the Pre was abysmal. If you think that Tour has poor battery life, don't even think about the Pre. My Pre NEVER lasted a full eight hours on a charge, the most I ever pulled was 6.5 hours. I am also a member on a couple of Pre forums and many users there recommended turning off various radios such as GPS/Wifi/Bluetooth but although that was rather simple to do, what is the point of having all these features if you constantly have to toggle them off. I think Palm needs to improve upon their battery consumption rates. I rarely ever turn off radios on the Blackberry so this was somewhat of a surprise to me. Apparently the biggest battery killer of them all was actually the IM service. I was always logged into gchat and aim so I think that was actually the main culprit of my poor battery life. Coming over from the Blackberry, again, I'm always logged into my IM services to the point where my friends couldn't figure it out...LOL!! My 3rd main gripe was that the software seemed to be incomplete. By that I mean there were areas where it seemed the WebOS was lacking such as the notifications and alarms but there was little done to remedy this.

Ultimately the Tour is a great device, as is the Pre. The Tour was a better choice for me because I mostly use my phone for IM and email as well as RSS readers. I have a iPod touch so the internet wasn't a dealbreaker for me anyway. If you use your mobile device for casual web browsing or more entertainment purposes, the Pre may be the better device for you.
    07-21-09 08:53 AM
    I was going to go with the Pre when it was first was released, but that didn't work out in my favor. I had played with pre and decided against it. I ordered the Tour on release date and received it tuesday. I have been enjoying it ever since. It does everything I want it to do, and I am glad I didn't go with a touch screen. The pre is a nice phone but just something I didn't need/ want. It is up to you but if you are a BB user then you will probably really like the Tour.
    07-21-09 09:43 AM
    I have had experience with the Pre for about 2 weeks, and the Tour's browser is by far the faster browser for me. That might have something to do with coverage, but regardless the Tour's internet speed is top notch in my experience.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 09:51 AM
    Because with the Tour you will have the same phone as SmashFace.......
    07-21-09 09:52 AM
    I've been to Palm and back; The answer to your question is simply this - "Because it's a BlackBerry"
    07-21-09 09:53 AM
    I agree with mjs, people tend to post issues because they want help or just to b!tch. In any event, YOU are the one that has to make the decision on the right phone for you, we can only suggest but the ultimate decision is yours and only yours to make.

The way I look at it is this. Look at the standard features and additional software, if you plan to install any, and see what has more of what you'll use. Then get the phone based on that.
    07-21-09 10:03 AM
    Because with the Tour you will have the same phone as SmashFace.......
    I believe she has other berries as well including the Onyx.

To the OP:

You're asking why you should pick the Tour over the Pre in a BB forum? I think you're old enough to know what type of answers you're going to get, just like asking this question in a Pre forum and you'll get different answers.

Bottom line, doesn't matter which forum you go to, people will post negative things because its the nature of the beast. If my device is working perfectly well, I don't go online and share my feelings. OTOH, if I have issues, I'll post to ask for help. Think about it, its not rocket science. The majority of Pre and Tour owners are happy with their device. My advice, try both out and pick the one for you. Asking which one is better for me is like asking which car I should buy. No one knows but you.
    07-21-09 10:13 AM
    I have had experience with the Pre for about 2 weeks, and the Tour's browser is by far the faster browser for me. That might have something to do with coverage, but regardless the Tour's internet speed is top notch in my experience.

If your Tour broswer is faster then the Pre, then there is definitely something wrong with your Pre.
    07-21-09 10:14 AM
    I really love WebOS but i picked up the pre and it felt like a shoddy piece of plastic. the slide keyboard felt like itd break eventually. if there is a phone with webOS on verizon and a better build quality phone i am THERE
    07-21-09 10:25 AM
    ANY forum will have whiners. You think your Pre is so good? Lookie here, my friend:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/
    07-21-09 10:26 AM
    If you like the Pre better than the 8900 you use to have don't buy the Tour. If you miss your 8900 the Tour will be a slightly better form factor with faster data.

I had the Pre for my first 30 days of Sprint and being a "power social user" I couldn't deal with the laginess. Other than that and the keyboard which in my opinion is sub par as well as the overall build quality of the phone it was great.

Having said that I now have the Tour and am happier than I ever could have been with the Pre in it's current form.
    07-21-09 10:35 AM
    listen my friend...so far the biggest problems with the tour are such little stupid things...Example the biggest problem so far for everybody with the tour is that the battery door moves less than 1 mm.... If a forum is all complaining about that it is because there is nothing else wrong with the phone
    07-21-09 10:36 AM
    * The screen is very nice. Everything on it looks very crisp.
    * The form factor is good. Fits very well in my hand.
    * Works great with my car's bluetooth -- setup was painless.
    * BBM allows me to almost eliminate SMS usage.
    * Reception and call quality are very good.
    * Battery life is great, as I'd expect with a Blackberry. I can't think of another smartphone where you'd even consider that it could get more than a day's use out of a single charge.
    * The trackball is nicer than those on other BBs I've used.
    * There are enough built-in and third-party apps to take care of all my significant needs.
    * The Verizon version with the dark trim looks very sharp.
    * The keyboard is easy to get used to, and feels pretty sturdy.
    * The UI, even with no custom themes available, is quite functional while staying relatively minimal. That is, it feels "clean".
    * The device feels sturdy.
    07-21-09 11:05 AM
    This is a simple one.... the hardware. WebOS is amazing in fact I would kill to have the operating system on a phone like the tour. It's a step forward in innovation for the market and should do great things for mobile devices. That being said the hardware of the Pre is subpar and prone to problems. Look at the forums and you'll see plenty of people who are on their 4th, 5th, 6th pre's already! That's just keeping the device working too. The keyboard design on the pre could be better also, although it is fairly useable.

I'd say go with the Tour, a solid device, and look at some webos devices in a year when the market has matured and hopefully Palm has the money to build a high quality piece of hardware to go with their fantastic OS.
    07-21-09 11:39 AM

The one main reason I returned my Pre after 2 weeks was that it was delicate and I found an internal crack in the black gesture area that was found when I saw light leaking thru it... I can't have such a delicate phone period.

The Pre was better for net surfing but that's where it ends
    07-21-09 11:42 AM
    Well I think that I can provide you with some useful information as I was the first person in line on June 6, at my local Best Buy to pickup the Palm Pre. I thoroughly enjoyed the Pre and think that it is a wonderful device for somebody who is not used to the speed and efficiency of the Blackberry. Ultimately I returned my Pre on June 24 and purchased the Tour this past Sunday.

As I stated the Pre is a wonderful device. The WebOS platform is one of if not the best mobile OS on the market right now. WebOS is very smooth and intuitive. The notifications on the Pre were also dynamite and are probably one of the biggest features I miss having moved back to Blackberries/Tour. Additionally the internet on the Pre was amazing and fast, which is more than I can say about the internet on the Tour.

What ultimately led me to decide against the Pre was the keyboard. I am used to top notch keyboards on my mobile devices and the keyboard on the Pre just didn't make the cut. the keyboard was too cramped with small keys that had poor feedback. I just couldn't type with the speed or accuracy that I have grown accustomed to over the years. Also the battery life on the Pre was abysmal. If you think that Tour has poor battery life, don't even think about the Pre. My Pre NEVER lasted a full eight hours on a charge, the most I ever pulled was 6.5 hours. I am also a member on a couple of Pre forums and many users there recommended turning off various radios such as GPS/Wifi/Bluetooth but although that was rather simple to do, what is the point of having all these features if you constantly have to toggle them off. I think Palm needs to improve upon their battery consumption rates. I rarely ever turn off radios on the Blackberry so this was somewhat of a surprise to me. Apparently the biggest battery killer of them all was actually the IM service. I was always logged into gchat and aim so I think that was actually the main culprit of my poor battery life. Coming over from the Blackberry, again, I'm always logged into my IM services to the point where my friends couldn't figure it out...LOL!! My 3rd main gripe was that the software seemed to be incomplete. By that I mean there were areas where it seemed the WebOS was lacking such as the notifications and alarms but there was little done to remedy this.

Ultimately the Tour is a great device, as is the Pre. The Tour was a better choice for me because I mostly use my phone for IM and email as well as RSS readers. I have a iPod touch so the internet wasn't a dealbreaker for me anyway. If you use your mobile device for casual web browsing or more entertainment purposes, the Pre may be the better device for you.
    QFT! I too waited in line at my local Best Buy because they were only receiving 2. I love webOS. It's visually appealing, quick, and intuitive. The phone's hardware is second rate at best. The problems you've read about the Tour on this forum are nothing compared to what I read after purchasing my pre. The Pre is a great device for the casual entertainment minded consumer. It's horrible for the everday stuff like texting and e-mails because of it's keyboard. The top row of the keyboard sits too close to the screen and for someone with even average sized hands it would be difficult to use any of those letters. My advice is to play around with both devices as much as possible and figure out what you need. I really think it's a win/win situation for you. Good luck.
    07-21-09 11:56 AM
    I had the Pre and returned it as well. 3 Battery charges a day didn't suit me at all. I lost my sense of humor with it about the time I got sick of thumbing through various "cards" to send a simple text. IMO they could have left the keyboard off and it would have been about as effective. It's not a bad phone compared to some of the junk out there but it didn't hold a candle to my Bold. They took my Pre back and are sending my Tour. Why I haven't learned my lesson yet about touch screen phones is beyond me. It was a bummer to see that capacitive touch didn't exactly solve all the problems I thought it would. Asking a forum dedicated to a particular device to compare it against another is like pulling the pin on a grenade. I wonder if this same post showed up in the Precentral forums comparing it to Tour? LOL
    Last edited by bigwill5150; 07-21-09 at 12:19 PM.
    07-21-09 12:15 PM
    I purchased the pre first day it came out its a great phone loved it but overall I decided to which because the device seems so cheap made felt like I know it would not last me long the whole sliding thing I knew would some how break plus I think it looks like a girl phone my manager called it a cute phone lol yes the web is fatser on the pre but overall the tour is a well built phone with everything I need even though the web is a bit on the slow side compared to the pre in the long run the tour will last longer

07-21-09 12:23 PM
    either way, the bottom line is your decision. but thats the beauty of sprint. we give you 30 days to love your phone, so try the tour out when its available in sprint stores on the 23rd and see which one you lik better. u have already tried the pre out so once you give the tour a week or two make your decision based on your needs. if the tour works for you great. if you decide the pre is the way to go, take the tour back to the store with the box and all the stuff it comes with and pay a lil more to get into the pre.
    07-21-09 12:54 PM
    I have a Pre and I'm keeping it, but I use a Tour now almost exclusively. If email is your #1 communication priority then BlackBerry has no equal. Like Stang68 said, check out the complaints at PreCentral forums.

I like the Pre's overall feel, but not the keypad. That's simply substandard, especially compared to the Tour or even the Curve. The Pre's screen is gorgeous and web browsing is superb. Good camera on the Pre, but not much better or worse than the Tour's.

Bottom line: for the way I work, BlackBerry is the best solution. YMMV.
    07-21-09 12:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD