What do I do now? I unlocked my phone before I left and put on international data. What do I need to do next? I'll switch out the verizon sim and put in the orange one and yeah. Do I need to change network settings or anything? Also, what happens with data.. will I still have international or do I have to turn it off when I have this sim card in? Thanks for the help.

By the way.. this country is COLD.
    01-27-10 11:09 AM
    I have not done the SWITCHING but I believe you can either change it to GLOBAL (in Manage Connections) and allow it to find the network or you can change it.

Unless that card has DATA, I think you will need to use the card that came with the phone and you had better be prepared for pay by the spoonful for the data unless you opted for Verizon's Global unlimited plan (different than the Manage Connections global).

I believe that they may have skiing on Mt Hermon (spelling?)
    01-27-10 02:03 PM
    I have not done the SWITCHING but I believe you can either change it to GLOBAL (in Manage Connections) and allow it to find the network or you can change it.

Unless that card has DATA, I think you will need to use the card that came with the phone and you had better be prepared for pay by the spoonful for the data unless you opted for Verizon's Global unlimited plan (different than the Manage Connections global).

I believe that they may have skiing on Mt Hermon (spelling?)
    I don't think it has data and I have the unlimited plan but will I be ok with it? I don't wanna get charged using data on their network

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 04:06 PM
    If you just want to use the BB for voice, turn off data and put the new sim card in. You turn off data by going into Options -> Mobile Network -> Data Services and change it to off.

If you are going to use email you need to leave the Verizon sim card in. If you put in a new sim card, the web might work, but push email, BBM etc. (Blackberry services) will not work.
    01-27-10 05:31 PM
    Use that sim card you got over there and shut down the data from vzw to avoid extra charges you don't need (international charges) try to read email at a local internet cafe if you can (save a few bucks).

01-27-10 08:15 PM
    Ok.. So switch sim if I'm going to be caling but if I want to use data keep old one in?

01-27-10 10:48 PM
    You mentioned you have the UNlimited plan but is that for the US? Did you sign up separately for Verizon's GLOBAL plan for OUTside of the US? If you have the GLOBAL then use the Verizon sim. If you did not sign up for that special plan, use data cautiously as it can get pricy. The Global plan costs about $65/month.
    01-27-10 11:40 PM
    You mentioned you have the UNlimited plan but is that for the US? Did you sign up separately for Verizon's GLOBAL plan for OUTside of the US? If you have the GLOBAL then use the Verizon sim. If you did not sign up for that special plan, use data cautiously as it can get pricy. The Global plan costs about $65/month.
    I have the unlimited international DATA plan.. not calling. How would I do the calling, that other SIM card? So just turn off data when i use it?
    01-28-10 11:26 AM
    I'm confused by this thread. I recently used my Verizon/Vodafone (default) SIM card with International Data turned on in Costa Rica. I think it was $69.99/mo unlimited, or $49.99 [BES package] with pay-as-you-go. It was pro-rated for a week so the only thing I really paid for (above the ~$15 for data) was a couple of calls to the USA.

Regardless, I used a cheap-o SIM card in the UK for voice only (NOMI was the service provider). I did NOT have to turn off data, since 99% of the international SIM cards do not actually include data - at all.

Exceptions - Orange Netherlands had data (which skimmed off of pre-loaded account) when I was there in 2007, and it was reasonable. T-Mobile UK charges �1/day for data, but you have to explicitly turn it on.
    01-28-10 12:31 PM
    I'm confused by this thread. I recently used my Verizon/Vodafone (default) SIM card with International Data turned on in Costa Rica. I think it was $69.99/mo unlimited, or $49.99 [BES package] with pay-as-you-go. It was pro-rated for a week so the only thing I really paid for (above the ~$15 for data) was a couple of calls to the USA.

Regardless, I used a cheap-o SIM card in the UK for voice only (NOMI was the service provider). I did NOT have to turn off data, since 99% of the international SIM cards do not actually include data - at all.

Exceptions - Orange Netherlands had data (which skimmed off of pre-loaded account) when I was there in 2007, and it was reasonable. T-Mobile UK charges �1/day for data, but you have to explicitly turn it on.
    I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to get any odd data charges or anything while having the sim card in since i have the verizon one.
    01-28-10 01:03 PM
    Israel is a cdma country so since you have unlimited international data you just set you bb to cdma only.

When you want to make a phone you set it to gsm only and use orange.

Orange in israel has 3g prepaid cards, so if your is 2g call them up and go to their corporate stores to swap it. They also offer 100mb a month for 25 shekels and the first month is free. So if your only doing emails you should be fine. good luck.
    01-28-10 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD