Well I bought a broken Bold from a friend and his replacement Tour from him for $100 because I wanted to see if I could swap the processor from the Bold to the Tour since I'm fairly good with electronics and soldering. Anyways, all went well and the Tour booted up fine. The 5.0 OS noticeably runs quicker though I am having a few glitches here and there and I'm wondering if I should put the Bold 5.0 OS on it or keep the Tour 5.0 OS? I didn't wipe the phone and re-install the OS so I may try that yet. I have no boot errors or anything but some things seem to be a bit more "glitchy" than they were before my solder job.

I'm contemplating doing the internal memory next but didn't know if the Bold's memory is interchangeable (I would think so). Overall the processor swap seems to be excellent given the 30 minutes of time and cost.

Anyone else do anything like this?
    Please post pic of chip modification .
    Last edited by Slingbox; 02-26-10 at 07:26 PM.
    02-26-10 07:17 PM
    Umm.. wtf

did we forget the fact that the bold CPU, as per the datasheets I posted links to, DONT support CDMA.... so even if it were possible to swap CPU's, and it's not, your Tour would no longer work on the CDMA network... lol he posted it registered to the network without an issue a few posts back, he just proved he is not telling the truth.

This is NOT possible, the CPU's are completely different, different passive components, different pads and pinouts, different clocks different everything. It's simply two completely different hardware platforms.

I've posted numerous links and technical and valid reasons why this is 100% bs, he has posted nothing, no proof, no links to counter my claims that the CPU's aren't compatible and he won't because he's a liar.

so ... as far as I'm concerned we caught him in a lie red handed. ;-P
    02-26-10 07:26 PM
    I just wanted to let everyone know that I just got done soldering an iPhone to my BB and when I booted up it opened up a wormhole and I got zapped back to 2010 BC. It's OK though, the iPhone that I used is not yet released version 4 which has a time dialation cellular radio, which allows me to still use the cell towers and signal from today's time.... that's how I'm posting this.

Posted from my iBerry in the year 2010 BC.
    LMFAO Like everyone here, would like to see pics
    02-26-10 07:37 PM
    Wow...you guys are ridiculous. Why would the OP lie about this? He had a pretty clear question at the end of his post. He came here for some help. What does he have to gain or lose by posting this question, if its just a made-up story? Really? Everyone begging for pix or videos...get a grip...he said he would get to it. Oh, and Gary..not taking sides here-but people can be wrong sometimes. Are you a subject matter expert? Have you done something like this before? Others have chimed in on this, and have shared their expertise. No need to start a personal vengance against a complete stranger, because you think something can't be done. How old are you? Agree to disagree and walk away. When the OP can provide proof of his experiment, then you can debate, but by all means have some respect. This is a BlackBerry enthusiast forum...and if the OP has accomplished this task, which I believe CAN be done (after doing some research of my own) we should be telling this guy "Good work!". Yeesh...getting sick of all the hate on these threads. Everyone thinks they are subject matter experts these days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-10 10:27 PM
    Wow...you guys are ridiculous. Why would the OP lie about this? He had a pretty clear question at the end of his post. He came here for some help. What does he have to gain or lose by posting this question, if its just a made-up story? Really? Everyone begging for pix or videos...get a grip...he said he would get to it. Oh, and Gary..not taking sides here-but people can be wrong sometimes. Are you a subject matter expert? Have you done something like this before? Others have chimed in on this, and have shared their expertise. No need to start a personal vengance against a complete stranger, because you think something can't be done. How old are you? Agree to disagree and walk away. When the OP can provide proof of his experiment, then you can debate, but by all means have some respect. This is a BlackBerry enthusiast forum...and if the OP has accomplished this task, which I believe CAN be done (after doing some research of my own) we should be telling this guy "Good work!". Yeesh...getting sick of all the hate on these threads. Everyone thinks they are subject matter experts these days.

He claims to have done the equivalent of putting an AMD cpu in an Intel motherboard. Its BS. Don't bother to defend him.
    02-27-10 04:00 AM
    Well I bought a broken Bold from a friend and his replacement Tour from him for $100 because I wanted to see if I could swap the processor from the Bold to the Tour since I'm fairly good with electronics and soldering. Anyways, all went well and the Tour booted up fine. The 5.0 OS noticeably runs quicker though I am having a few glitches here and there and I'm wondering if I should put the Bold 5.0 OS on it or keep the Tour 5.0 OS? I didn't wipe the phone and re-install the OS so I may try that yet. I have no boot errors or anything but some things seem to be a bit more "glitchy" than they were before my solder job.

I'm contemplating doing the internal memory next but didn't know if the Bold's memory is interchangeable (I would think so). Overall the processor swap seems to be excellent given the 30 minutes of time and cost.

Anyone else do anything like this?
    cpu swap on a phone. wow! Respect.

How about the RAM? can you do a ram swap? can you put more ram?
    You can consider opening an online shop called blackberry customs. There may be some millionaires who want a better blackberry than others.
    People pay a lot to have gold or jewelry encrusted cases, they would surely want a cpu/ram upgrade.
    02-27-10 04:39 AM
    Waiting for the pics
    02-27-10 05:40 AM
    I'm not one to judge a person..maybe he did do the swap, maybe he didn't..who cares though?
    02-27-10 07:50 AM
    Wow can't believe this thread is still going without any pics or at least a walkthrough..
    02-27-10 09:47 AM
    I'm not one to judge a person..maybe he did do the swap, maybe he didn't..who cares though?
    It's not whether he did it or not. For $100, 30 minutes of his time and a little bit of equipment, he accomplished something nobody else on the internet claimed to accomplish.

It would seem to me if it was really possible, this would have been common knowledge, people have been taking apart blackberries for years. Instead of tutorials on how to change a trackball, there would have been tutorials on how to solder custom ram, swap cpus and the like. While I'm sure there may be a way to swap some like parts on some of these boards, it it looks like a fish, smells like a fish....

I would like nothing more than to give the op props instead of the razz.
    02-27-10 10:43 AM
    I like how I've proved using the actual datasheets of the CPU's from the CPU manufacturers that this is indeed impossible due to the major physical and software and implementation differences of the two CPU's. The most obvious difference should be that the Bold CPU supports GSM only while the Tour CPU supports CDMA and GSM.

yet people still continue to be impressed

It's like graphting a peanut to an orange tree.. it's not possible, they're two different things...
    02-27-10 11:07 AM
    Im not impressed I just want to see his work lol
    02-27-10 11:17 AM

yet people still continue to be impressed by this liar.
    Gary, I don't think anyone has said that they were impressed by the OP, at least not since he was called out by you and a few others here over 24 hrs or so ago. He has had 2 days to post pictures and/or details and yet to do either, so I think we are all pretty unimpressed right now.
    Last edited by mikeplus1; 02-27-10 at 11:49 AM.
    02-27-10 11:40 AM
    What's funny is 5pages worth of post and still no pics. Yea pinless chips can't soldered without special equipment the whole board isn't nesscessarly baked but only the chip is heated hot enough to the board. and I don't know about phone mobos but computer ones have layers of traces u can't get to he's full it reminds me a fake post me and my friend did on drifting.com "3 way positronic differentiate 50 gallon fuel safe, sponsors: grap tires, myshaft driveshaft, gob knobber performance..." yea he's prolly yanking our chains like we yanked there's on that site.

Here the link we took all the pics http://www.drifting.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=28314&goto=newpost

slow all bashing down lol

Last edited by nemesis91101; 02-27-10 at 12:11 PM.
    02-27-10 11:57 AM
    What does he have to gain or lose by posting this question, if its just a made-up story?
    You can never be certain what other people's intentions are. Who knows, maybe OP just wants some attention. Maybe he wants to know if it's possible, so he asked that question so that other people will try and respond whether they succeeded or failed. With a claim of doing something that is considered impossible, the OP should at least post some evidence. If this is a fabricated story, and he is trying to spread misinformation, he is ruining the board and hurting the community. If he is BSing and wants to BS, he should do so in an off-topic forum.

The most obvious difference should be that the Bold CPU supports GSM only while the Tour CPU supports CDMA and GSM.
    Are the CDMA and GSM radios part of the CPU? Or are they on different components elsewhere on the integrated circuit board? If it is the latter, and the CPU merely does computations for following instructions in a program, then wouldn't this be possible since it would be the software that utilizes the CPU and radio chips? The Intel/AMD argument is based on both CPUs having a different architecture. If both the Bold and Tour CPUs were designed by the same team, then even if different companies manufactured the chips, they would operate similarly.

I'm not saying that what the OP did is possible. Frankly, I don't believe him and probably won't believe him even if he provided pictures (I wouldn't know what the internals of a blackberry looks like, and if he provides screenshots, they may just reflect the phone's old information since I don't think there's a way to identify what CPU a phone is using). OP keeps yapping away when he could have simply just spent the time gathering evidence. If it is found that he is lying, though, I hope he's suspended from the forums for a couple of weeks.
    02-27-10 11:58 AM
    what? still no pics? shocking. maybe he's soldering some SLR guts into his other phones so he can take pics for us
    02-27-10 05:20 PM

you must be new to the internet
    02-27-10 05:25 PM
    The guy disappeared? really? awww. that's too bad.
    02-27-10 08:32 PM
    you must be new to the internet
    +1

rahc01

02-27-10 10:50 PM
    The amount of vitriol and hate in this thread is incredible.

If someone wants to live in a world of fantasy regarding their exploits, that's on them. Who are we to judge?

But the responses are our responsibility, and it does seem like we have sunk to the depths of childishness.

Just my 2 cents, as I move on to the next thread.

02-28-10 06:26 AM
    Thats awes0me i wonder if you could get a snapdragon into a tour or any blackberry for that matter.
    02-28-10 06:31 AM
    ... pics?
    04-17-10 03:55 PM
    ... pics?
    yeah, the pics are still coming...
    04-17-10 05:05 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD