is it time to update to 5.0 what should i do?
    10-05-09 12:51 PM
    Delete your older txts... i guarantee if you deleted your prior SMS from the top of the list, your lag will disappear.. I'm also pretty sure its covered somewhere else in the forums.. but that should help ya. How long do you have the phone saving SMS from?
    10-05-09 01:46 PM
    mine is doing it as well and it started on friday i believe. i've popped the battery numerous times since then. i've also cleared my entire inbox and cleared and turned off my event log. i have mine set to save messages 15 days, and display 3 previous (was set to 5). this is really starting to get on my nerves.
    10-05-09 03:13 PM
    I've noticed that the number of days you set the device to save messages for is irrelevant. I have mine set for (30) days and I have messages saved from July 20th. I just make it a habit to manually delete every month.
    10-05-09 07:59 PM
    i do delete mine manually, and pretty often as i do some heavy texting. i don't know what happened all of a sudden though. it's getting annoying :P
    10-05-09 08:09 PM
    Is it lagging in sending/receiving them or opening them?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-09 08:13 PM
    Is it lagging in sending/receiving them or opening them?
    it is lagging to send. once i'm done typing and double tap my BB button, like i always have to send a message, it stops on the menu for 5-20 seconds. it's random every time :/
    10-05-09 08:16 PM
    That's a network problem, not a phone problem. Just wondering, but when was the last time you cleared out your internet History/Cache/Cookies?

10-05-09 08:21 PM
    That's a network problem, not a phone problem. Just wondering, but when was the last time you cleared out your internet History/Cache/Cookies?
    all the time. i do my best to keep everything as clear possible
    10-05-09 08:26 PM
    Then that sounds like a network problem. Are you surfing the internet too, when you are texting?

10-05-09 09:07 PM
    i rarely use the internet. if i have to check scores or something i will. but my berry is mainly used for communication. sms, phone, bbm, email, etc. maybe it's time to reinstall my OS?
    10-05-09 10:06 PM
    mine does it sometimes.. Menu on the messages and "Remove History"
    10-05-09 10:11 PM
    does it seem to happen only to those people you text a lot? If so, I had this problem a while back on my curve.

I found it was because I was hitting reply again and again to the incoming msg from that same person.... and after a while i was getting like a 1-2 second lag from the time I hit send to the time it went back to the message list.

Try starting a new SMS text with that person instead replying to the msg when you find it's starting to lag.

That worked for me. Hope it does for you too
    10-05-09 11:31 PM
    does it seem to happen only to those people you text a lot? If so, I had this problem a while back on my curve.

I found it was because I was hitting reply again and again to the incoming msg from that same person.... and after a while i was getting like a 1-2 second lag from the time I hit send to the time it went back to the message list.

Try starting a new SMS text with that person instead replying to the msg when you find it's starting to lag.

That worked for me. Hope it does for you too
    i'll try that
    10-06-09 12:09 AM
    I think a few people in here are talking about different "lag" problems with SMS. I have the same problem as the OP with the 5-20 second delay where the phone completely freezes after hitting the menu key twice to SEND out a message. This seemed to start after I got BerryBuzz installed, haven't done much to fix it as I don't find it too inconvenient as I just hit the standby key and it goes to standby after it unfreezes.

Also, with those that know they have this exact problem, do you have BerryBuzz installed? Also, does anyone else get some slight delays with other messages (email, bbm, facebook, and even incoming calls sometimes.)

I installed 5....230 hoping it would fix the problem, but it didn't, so I am pretty sure it is an application that is causing this lag, and since BerryBuzz is the only application that would effect anything incoming (custom flashes, and custom vibration w/old OS) and since it started after installing BerryBuzz, I am pretty sure that is the culprit (on my phone at least.)

If you have any apps effecting incoming data like BerryBuzz or BuzzMe or the other numerous apps that do the same thing, I would try tinkering with that or shooting them an email asking if they've experienced this problem.

Just my 2 cents, good luck!
    10-06-09 01:27 AM
    Nathan is right, its a network problem. If it bothers you, re-register and see if that helps. The Tour has plenty of memory, you DO NOT have to clear messages all the time
    10-06-09 01:30 AM
    network problem? i upgraded to the .230 not too long ago and i would get the lag after hitting 'send' (for about 2-5 seconds frozen). i do have all the berrypopup berrybuzz and all that installed. the only way for this to clear up for me is to delete the threated sms convo. even though the curve has tons of memory (mine has +100 mb after 24 hrs of use w/o a reboot) it seems like the sms thread can only hold a certain amount before it lags. even trying to delete a convo that has more than 100 sms (estimated) takes awhile.

the second i got my tour, i upgraded to the .230 so i never really noticed if there was this problem with the 4.7 build.
    10-06-09 01:49 AM
    I had the problem with the phone freezing at the menu too. I updated to 5.0, didn't help.

I eventually traced the problem back to BeWeather. I had the GPS location on, as well as 7 or 8 other locations, with an auto update every 15 minutes. Since I closed BeWeather I haven't had the problem. I think I will try and re-introduce BeWeather with no GPS, only two or three locations, and a 60 minute update interval.

I like BeWeather but that lag killed me.

10-06-09 07:16 AM
    Ok I figured this one out, took me some time though but it is a simple fix.

You know you have this problem if the lag is longer for people you text more often and almost instant for people you rarely text (can seem random till you figure out the pattern).

Delete all of the old messages in your SMS inbox, AND delete all the old messages in your SMS outbox. People tend to forget the outbox and you need to clear both.

Easiest way is highlight the day in the SMS box and press the blackberry button, then choose "Delete Prior".

Hope this helps.
    10-06-09 08:27 AM
    Ok I figured this one out, took me some time though but it is a simple fix.

You know you have this problem if the lag is longer for people you text more often and almost instant for people you rarely text (can seem random till you figure out the pattern).

Delete all of the old messages in your SMS inbox, AND delete all the old messages in your SMS outbox. People tend to forget the outbox and you need to clear both.

Easiest way is highlight the day in the SMS box and press the blackberry button, then choose "Delete Prior".

Hope this helps.
    Yup, it seems pretty common sense to me that when you delete your incoming messages, you delete outgoing as well.. but I guess there are people.. lol

I'm so spoiled by threaded sms on my tour that I don't worry about it anymore, but I had the EXACT same problem as the OP and it was due to me havin too many old SMS in/out laying around..
    10-06-09 11:42 AM
    Most people never go into the sent folder because they see their previous sent txts when they click on one they received.

Remember some of these are first time berry users, give them a little slack.
    10-06-09 05:45 PM
    I had the problem with the phone freezing at the menu too. I updated to 5.0, didn't help.

I eventually traced the problem back to BeWeather. I had the GPS location on, as well as 7 or 8 other locations, with an auto update every 15 minutes. Since I closed BeWeather I haven't had the problem. I think I will try and re-introduce BeWeather with no GPS, only two or three locations, and a 60 minute update interval.

I like BeWeather but that lag killed me.

i think my lag problem actually started after i installed BerryWeather. this could be my problem. i'll tweak the settings and see what happens.
    10-06-09 07:36 PM
    Like I said I believe there are 2 different lag problems in this thread I think.

One stemming from applications, and one stemming from old, saved, messages etc residing on the phone.

For those of you saying "just delete your old messages, etc etc" what do you say after we do delete them and nothing changes about the lag? What would you say if I SMS someone I have never SMS'd before and I still get the lag even with all emails/messages deleted?

Please keep an open mind that some solutions are not so simple as some of you think, and there are other factors involved and that people aren't as "dumb" as you think.

dhendriksen, I have narrowed my problem down to BerryBuzz and BerryWeather as well, which I installed at the same time, and it just so (coincidentally IMO) happens they are made by the same company (bellshare I believe).
    10-06-09 08:17 PM
    I have had the lag problem for a few weeks and the only thing I have done differently is install berry weather. I have put up with it so for because it happens less than half the time, but it's still irritating.
    10-06-09 08:48 PM
    I have had the lag problem for a few weeks and the only thing I have done differently is install berry weather. I have put up with it so for because it happens less than half the time, but it's still irritating.
    yeah Berryweather is causing lag,fix should be in next build.
    10-06-09 10:44 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD