Does anyone know what the slot between the mute and lock buttons (on the top of the Tour) is for? It looks like a narrow speaker? It's about 1/8 inch wide and maybe 1/2 inch long. Can't find any reference to it from the book that came with, nor from the BB website specs.

I notice there is a slot in the same place on the new Innocase 360 I just received, so it must be something significant.

Thanks!
    09-05-09 06:54 PM
    The only thing I've heard is that it's a clip attachment that was made for something like a case right from Blackberry. I've seen nothing to match this yet though. Maybe someone has and exact answer out there.
    09-05-09 07:00 PM
    I thought it might be for a holster/clip, but I'm not sure. I'd like to know as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 07:01 PM
    Its for noise cancellation

09-05-09 07:01 PM
    Can you expand beyond that a little? What do you mean? How is it for noise cancellation?

09-05-09 07:06 PM
    09-05-09 07:08 PM
    Can you expand beyond that a little? What do you mean? How is it for noise cancellation?

Speaker/mic in there for it compute the noise cancellation.
    09-05-09 07:09 PM
    Its for a holster attachment. Its common for phones to have a slot up there for that reason.

09-05-09 08:40 PM
    Its for a holster attachment. Its common for phones to have a slot up there for that reason.

incorrect. like others have said, the phone has 2 mics. one at the bottom to input sound, one on top to cancel noise interuptions.
    09-05-09 08:44 PM
    If you take the top cover of the Tour off, you will see that the slot on the top leads to the earpiece. My guess is RIM figured that having 2 places for the earpiece sound to come out was better than one. If you are someone who holds the phone not flat against your ear, this would help also.
    09-05-09 11:23 PM
    This is the output slot for the Tour's revolutionary micro-fax. If you don't have an icon for it, you must be out of thermal micro-fax paper. Go to the store and get some asap.

09-06-09 02:01 AM
    This is the output slot for the Tour's revolutionary micro-fax. If you don't have an icon for it, you must be out of thermal micro-fax paper. Go to the store and get some asap.

Paper is hella expensive....was a cool feature at first...sent a ton of faxes....but the cost of the paper outweighs the usefullness of the feature IMO
    09-06-09 02:29 AM
    True, but it's the only solution when visiting 3rd world countries without data plans where the only mobile messaging available is this cool new micro-faxing.

09-06-09 02:41 AM
    oh i thought it was a credit card reader so you could take cc as payments like the key chain style ones haha...
    09-06-09 02:41 AM
    It's a coin slot for pay-as-you-go. Only accepts dimes though. This will also be improved on the E-sex.
    09-06-09 03:28 AM
    Lint collector from my pocket is what I always thought it was...

09-06-09 08:06 AM
    incorrect. like others have said, the phone has 2 mics. one at the bottom to input sound, one on top to cancel noise interuptions.
    I thought the mic on the left side by the speaker was for the noise cancellation.
    09-06-09 09:16 AM
    That is where the laser shoots out when your scanning barcodes.

09-06-09 09:30 AM
    Is there a moderator out there who might know the REAL purpose for "The Slot"?
    09-06-09 09:44 AM
    Its for noise cancellation

OOps! Didn't notice this at first read. Thank you!
    09-06-09 09:47 AM
    It's a cocaine-caddy for the strung out businessman.
    09-06-09 10:13 AM
    Hahahhahahahahhahahahahahaaa!

09-06-09 07:53 PM

I was "rolling" when I read through the thread and got to this!!
    09-06-09 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD