Hi,

Is it true that the Tour will NOT allow simultaneous voice and data transmission? I was planning to switch to AT&T and buy a Bold because it supposedly allows you to make a phone call and SEND emails at the same time. I believe the other BBerry devices will not allow you to send emails during a phone call, and I believe the Bold is the first to allow you to do both at the same time.

Please let me know. Thank you for sharing your expertise with a long-time user and BBerry fan.
    06-25-09 02:52 PM
    Hi,

Is it true that the Tour will NOT allow simultaneous voice and data transmission? I was planning to switch to AT&T and buy a Bold because it supposedly allows you to make a phone call and SEND emails at the same time. I believe the other BBerry devices will not allow you to send emails during a phone call, and I believe the Bold is the first to allow you to do both at the same time.

Please let me know. Thank you for sharing your expertise with a long-time user and BBerry fan.

this is a CDMA carrrier limitation in general the network itself will not support it.

at&t is GSM thats why it can do it.

When verizon rolls out LTE it will have that capability.
    06-25-09 02:54 PM
    Thank you. To clarify, will Verizon roll out "LTE" when the Tour hits the street?
    06-25-09 02:58 PM
    this is a CDMA carrrier limitation in general the network itself will not support it.

But when CDMA carries a official wi-fi enabled BlackBerry, it will. As long as you turn it on of course.
    06-25-09 02:58 PM
    no, LTE is at least a year away from select market rollouts

and i doubt phones will be the first devices on it, we will probably see mobile laptop data cards first
    06-25-09 02:59 PM
    My understanding is that the Tour will not have WI-FI. What is the implication (compared to the Bold, which does have WI-FI)? Thank yoU!
    06-25-09 03:00 PM

Just to help and clarify, this is only in 3G coverage. EDGE will not my friend
    06-25-09 03:00 PM
    however isn't verizon doing the same network upgrade currently that bell and telus are to HSPA which will support it?

which would make that ability availible to the OP in a few months?
    06-25-09 03:02 PM
    Verizon is not going to HSPA. They are going to LTE with test markets this year and a few select markets by the end of next. Nationwide coverage by the end of 2012 and then complete national rollout of LTE by the end of 2014.
    06-25-09 03:06 PM
    however isn't verizon doing the same network upgrade currently that bell and telus are to HSPA which will support it?

which would make that ability availible to the OP in a few months?
    Sorry, but that's incorrect. If Verizon was switching to EVDO Rev. B in a few months, then you could say that they have the ability. Wi-fi is the only option for now.
    06-25-09 03:08 PM
    CDMA carriers would have to switch to EVDV to handle simultaneous data and voice over their network. EVDO (Data Only) won't do both.

HSPA can handle it by using two seperate radios (one for voice, one for data).

For EVDO to handle both, it would have to have a second radio for voice/data, such as having WiFi.
    06-25-09 09:48 PM
    i talk on the phone and send texts all the time and i have a curve 8330 on sprint......
    06-25-09 10:31 PM
    i talk on the phone and send texts all the time and i have a curve 8330 on sprint......
    Texts are not data, that's why u can do it. If u try talking on the phone and go to website then you wouldn't be able to do it.
    06-25-09 10:36 PM
    i see....sorry
    06-25-09 10:39 PM
    i see....sorry
    Haha. It's okay, no worries. You learned something new today.
    06-25-09 10:44 PM

yes your correct.. I guess I should have clarified as well
    06-25-09 10:45 PM
    Given that the Tour can also work on GSM networks, would it then be capable of doing simultaneous voice and data while it's on GSM? Or is it also a limitation of the hardware itself?
    06-25-09 11:16 PM
    The Tour should be able to do both voice and data if its on a HSPA network.

If your data is on a GPRS or EDGE then it's a no go.

Unless you are traveling to Japan or Western Europe your operator (VZ/ Sprint/Telus) might not even have 3G roaming agreements and you'll be stuck with GPRS/EDGE.
    06-26-09 12:01 AM
    Given that the Tour can also work on GSM networks, would it then be capable of doing simultaneous voice and data while it's on GSM? Or is it also a limitation of the hardware itself?
    i don't believe the tour has usa 3g gsm bands, only edge, so no.
    06-26-09 12:20 AM
    No its a limitation of the hardware itself. For e.g the Curve 8900 on Tmobile can be unlocked and used on AT&T's GSM network but isnt capable of simultaneously using voice and data. As a matter of fact the AT&T 8900 isn't 3g capable. Thats why the Bold was and the Onyx will be the flagship RIM devices.
    06-26-09 12:43 AM
    No its a limitation of the hardware itself. For e.g the Curve 8900 on Tmobile can be unlocked and used on AT&T's GSM network but isnt capable of simultaneously using voice and data. As a matter of fact the AT&T 8900 isn't 3g capable. Thats why the Bold was and the Onyx will be the flagship RIM devices.
    Uhm, given that the 8900 isn't 3G capable, isn't that a bad example in this case? Of course it can't do sim. v/d if it's not 3G. Where's the evidence that it has anything to do with the hardware?
    06-26-09 08:12 AM
    Uhm, given that the 8900 isn't 3G capable, isn't that a bad example in this case? Of course it can't do sim. v/d if it's not 3G. Where's the evidence that it has anything to do with the hardware?

Radio explained it as clear as day already. It has nothing to do with hardware. EDGE isn't capable having this feature. If T-Mobile's Driftwood have 3G capabilities, then it would. Maybe championart worded it wrong.
    06-26-09 08:48 AM
    No its a limitation of the hardware itself.
    It has nothing to do with hardware...Maybe championart worded it wrong.
    I'd say.
    06-26-09 08:51 AM

Radio explained it as clear as day already. It has nothing to do with hardware. EDGE isn't capable having this feature. If T-Mobile's Driftwood have 3G capabilities, then it would. Maybe championart worded it wrong.
    Thanks for the correction as i did word it incorrectly but he should get the drift. Late night post lol.
    06-26-09 11:04 AM
    Thank you for the clarification and help, as it makes my learning about BB devices and wireless technology easier.
    06-26-09 11:36 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD