hello,

I am trying to sell my tour on craigslist, but i dont want:

a) any of those numbers on the back of the device behind the battery to give any personal info about me...

b)i dont want them to try and use my warranty.
    08-12-09 04:33 PM
    Why not sell it here on Crackberry
    08-12-09 04:35 PM
    i am only comfortable with local deals. i dont want anyone to claim i sent them a box of nothing, and be able to file a chargeback against me
    08-12-09 04:36 PM
    Black out the numbers in paint before posting
    08-12-09 04:37 PM
    ok but cant you also get some of the numbers from inside the OS?
    08-12-09 04:43 PM
    ok but cant you also get some of the numbers from inside the OS?
    ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
    What numbers are you refering to? Now I get why your phone didn't work.
    08-12-09 04:45 PM
    if you go to options -> status
    08-12-09 04:47 PM
    if you go to options -> status
    Ahh, IMEI and the ESN. Well, then how the h3ll are you going to sell a phone when people can't activate it?
    08-12-09 04:50 PM
    right but isnt that info only for me? like, someone wont be able to do anything relating to me, right?

thanks
    08-12-09 04:54 PM
    The pin and ESN have nothing to do with you lol. If you get rid of those the person buying it cant activate it!

/facepalm

IowaguyBB
    08-12-09 04:59 PM
    the esn meid imei all those numbers pertain to the phones identification not in any way to yours. if you were to call verizon they would be able to search the esn meid all that stuff but would never give any of youre information out.
    08-12-09 05:02 PM
    the esn meid imei all those numbers pertain to the phones identification not in any way to yours. if you were to call verizon they would be able to search the esn meid all that stuff but would never give any of youre information out.
    Thanks for the reply!
    How come people black out the numbers though if u can't do anything with them?

Thanks again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 05:06 PM
    Thanks for the reply!
    How come people black out the numbers though if u can't do anything with them?

Thanks again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So people don't activate it to their line and claim its theirs.
    08-12-09 05:07 PM
    hello,

I am trying to sell my tour on craigslist, but i dont want:

a) any of those numbers on the back of the device behind the battery to give any personal info about me...

b)i dont want them to try and use my warranty.
    Moderator Warning - Giving deliberate incorrect advice to inexperienced members is not acceptable forum behavior. Bad behavior may result in sanctions up to and including banning of the offending member. It might seem like a joke at the time but malicious advice which causes a member to damage a phone may deserve severe retaliation by moderators.

OK, time for some sanity and truth here.

There is no reason to conceal any of the phone's serial numbers - as some more sensible members have pointed out, the buyer needs them to activate the phone. All they indicate is the phone's electronic ID so it can be linked to the correct phone number during activation. Defacing them says to any potential buyer "Stolen Phone" and you won't get the sale.

All you need to do to protect your information is go login to your provider's BIS configuration website, and either do a change to your new device, or delete the email entries and remove the PIN/serial number. If you don't have a new phone to take its place, you might need to have your provider release them from your account. Then WIPE the phone either from Desktop Manager, or by setting a password, lock the phone and get the password wrong until it wipes. Default is 10 fails but you can go down to 3. All info is now Gone, factory condition restored.
    08-12-09 05:41 PM
    thanks for the post Branta!
    Last edited by purpin; 08-12-09 at 05:54 PM.
    08-12-09 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD