So I was looking at my mobile network options last night and I saw my Network go to "None"...then to "AT&T". Wtf?? It went back to Verizon after a minute or so. My phone wasn't roaming or anything either. Anyone seen this one before?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 10:52 AM
    I've never seen that one on any of my Verizon phones.
    07-27-09 10:53 AM
    you need to change the network type to 1xEV instead of global. it's looking to any network CDMA or GSM
    07-27-09 10:55 AM
    well I guess that's really not a bad thing right? If I'm in a spot with no coverage it will jump to someone else?

07-27-09 10:57 AM
    It kills battery, and i don't know if it affects billing at all. maybe someone from VZW/Sprint can clue us in?
    07-27-09 11:08 AM
    you would be roaming and that is more expensive
    07-27-09 11:10 AM
    It shouldn't count as roaming, and if it did, you could fight it. There is no roaming in the US with Verizon.
    07-27-09 11:17 AM
    My storm has done that when there was no cdma coverage.

07-27-09 11:19 AM
    It kills battery, and i don't know if it affects billing at all. maybe someone from VZW/Sprint can clue us in?
    Doesn't kill your battery leaving it on Global, so no worries. And there is No Roaming in the US with Verizon or Sprint. (Or it might be depending on your Plan) Overall, I've left my 8830 on Global and I'll leave my 9630 on Global. Nothing will happen.
    07-27-09 11:48 AM
    Doesn't kill your battery leaving it on Global, so no worries. And there is No Roaming in the US with Verizon or Sprint. (Or it might be depending on your Plan) Overall, I've left my 8830 on Global and I'll leave my 9630 on Global. Nothing will happen.
    Are you SURE about the battery thing?

It seems to be common knowledge to most people that one of the easiest ways (aside from disabling GPS) to save battery power is to turn Global off. It sorta makes sense... your phone clearly will use more power if it is constantly searching for TWO different kinds of networks, instead of just the one you're supposed to be on.

Granted, I don't KNOW for sure, but this is the explanation I've seen all over the place, especially when I had a Storm, and it seems to make sense.
    07-27-09 12:10 PM
    I thought that once it found a signal, it would stop looking for other signals. Setting it to "Global" would just enable to to look for GSM signals instead of just CDMA signals. But since you wouldn't be able to pick up any GSM signals in the States, it wouldn't use up any more battery because it would stop once you immediately found a CDMA signal.
    07-27-09 12:14 PM
    I thought that once it found a signal, it would stop looking for other signals. Setting it to "Global" would just enable to to look for GSM signals instead of just CDMA signals. But since you wouldn't be able to pick up any GSM signals in the States, it wouldn't use up any more battery because it would stop once you immediately found a CDMA signal.
    Exactly....
    07-27-09 12:19 PM
    Well I wish it would find sprints....because my verizon phone has horrible reception inside my house while my sprint phone gets good service in my house. I wish there was a way to set that up. I don't pay any roaming so it wouldn't be anymore expensive

07-27-09 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD