I just shut off my Tour by holding down the "End Call" button. When I turned it back on, it says at the top center "Searching for UMTS". It does not have any cell or data service now. At first when I turned the phone back on, it said "SOS", but after disabling the radio and re-enabling it, i'm stuck with the UMTS message stated above. When looking at available services, it says that the phone is in "Emergency Mode" and that data is not available. Any ideas?
    07-15-09 06:48 AM
    tried a battery pull?
    07-15-09 06:54 AM
    Manage your connections and switch it from global to 1XEV Only and see if that fixes it
    07-15-09 07:05 AM
    Manage your connections and switch it from global to 1XEV Only and see if that fixes it
    THANK YOU! For some reason it was set to UMTS/GSM, instead of Global. I just had to set it back to 1XEV like you said. I don't know how this happened. Like I said in my first post, I powered off the phone and when I powered it back on it was set like that... Strange.
    07-15-09 08:09 AM
    THANK YOU! For some reason it was set to UMTS/GSM, instead of Global. I just had to set it back to 1XEV like you said. I don't know how this happened. Like I said in my first post, I powered off the phone and when I powered it back on it was set like that... Strange.
    NP. Leave it at 1XEV unless you are going overseas or switch it to a GSM carrier. No point for the phone to even look for GSM when on Verizon or Sprint.
    07-15-09 09:29 AM
    Since I have a SIM in my Tour (like everyone else), why did it not pick up a GSM tower? Does the Verizon/Vodafone SIM only work outside of North America?
    07-15-09 10:14 AM
    Since I have a SIM in my Tour (like everyone else), why did it not pick up a GSM tower? Does the Verizon/Vodafone SIM only work outside of North America?
    Yup. Plus you don't wanna use GSM even if you could in the united states. We use different frequencies here so the phone can only do EDGE (similar to 1X speeds) here but can do 3G (EVDO speeds) overseas.
    07-15-09 10:32 AM
    yeah had this problem last night, same fix I used
    07-15-09 10:43 AM
    i just had same prob. crackberry rules.
    08-25-09 09:54 PM
    I just got off a plane and this happened to me and it said seaching UMTS. Did my Crackberry seach and you all saved me!!! Thanks!!! I do wonder what made it switch that I needed to switch it back to the 1xev?
    01-13-10 04:49 PM
    I just had the same issue. In the holster it worked fine - pulled it back out 2 hours later and "Searching for UMTS...". I'm not as smart as you guys and I called vzw tech support first instead of coming here. After 20 minutes they put me on hold and that's when I went online and found this thread. Thanks!
    06-23-10 12:08 PM
    Same problem here, "SOS" then "Searching for UMTS" and then "No Service" - changed back to "1XEV Only" and that fixed it - thank you very much, very strange how this got changed in the first place.
    12-25-10 12:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD