I've noted that after adding ringtones (all saved on my 8gb microSD card) it is super slow scrolling through them. It is most noticeable when trying to set a custom ring tone for contacts. Does anyone know why this is? Or has anyone else had this problem? It makes it take forever when trying to set those ringtones so that I know when certain people are calling. I have a Tour from Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-10 10:02 PM
    How big are the files? If you have just one or two main ones you could move them to the main memory using File Scout (I think that's the name of the program I use).
    03-01-10 10:58 AM
    I've experienced this same problem with a few different BB devices since my first one which ran OS 4.2. While I can scroll through other files quickly, even the directory listing on the ringtone folder on my data card is slow. Yes, I've got probably 75-100 different ringtone files, but the directory implementation just appears to be flawed in the OS. I wish I had a solution rather than just a "me too!"
    03-01-10 11:44 AM
    How big are the files? If you have just one or two main ones you could move them to the main memory using File Scout (I think that's the name of the program I use).
    For the most part they are like 20 second clips of songs. But I do have about 100 or so of them. It takes like 3 or 4 seconds to move up 1 tone in the list. It goes for any time I am setting a ringer, such as my alarm clock, custom ringtones, etc. It seems like it does it in the menus where the tone plays itself when highlighted. So I don't think File Scout will help in those situations.

03-01-10 12:26 PM
    I've experienced this same problem with a few different BB devices since my first one which ran OS 4.2. While I can scroll through other files quickly, even the directory listing on the ringtone folder on my data card is slow. Yes, I've got probably 75-100 different ringtone files, but the directory implementation just appears to be flawed in the OS. I wish I had a solution rather than just a "me too!"
    Yeah well I'm running OS 4.7 on a Verizon Tour. Hopefully OS 5.0 will fix the problem, whenever they decide to release it!

03-01-10 08:34 PM
    If you are trying to assign the tune to a contact or event, the BB might be attempting to play it or cue it. Doesn't it generally play the tunes as a sample as you scroll through them?
    03-01-10 08:48 PM
    If you are trying to assign the tune to a contact or event, the BB might be attempting to play it or cue it. Doesn't it generally play the tunes as a sample as you scroll through them?
    Yes that's what I'm talking about. But it takes like 2-4 seconds to move up 1 selection, even before it stays to play it. I don't think that it's because its trying to play the media? After you scroll up one, the lag is horrendous, even if its not playing the original selection yet.

03-01-10 11:44 PM
    I too experienced this problem for a very long time. I used to have the curve and never had this problem. But when I got my tour, that was one of the things that bothered me the most. I dreaded changing my ringtones!

But, if it is any consolation, it is definately repaired using 5.0. I am running the Sprint OS 5.0 and I can now scroll through the ringtones without problems!!

Hope this gives you all something to look forward to!!
    03-02-10 10:49 PM
    I too experienced this problem for a very long time. I used to have the curve and never had this problem. But when I got my tour, that was one of the things that bothered me the most. I dreaded changing my ringtones!

But, if it is any consolation, it is definately repaired using 5.0. I am running the Sprint OS 5.0 and I can now scroll through the ringtones without problems!!

Hope this gives you all something to look forward to!!
    UPDATE:
    Yes, OS 5.0 fixes the problem! Haha it's just too bad that I read your post after updating it myself! It was just a 4.7 bug. I also put the Sprint OS on my Verizon Tour, with no problems at all! And I am loving it. But I will update to the Verizon version whenever they decide to finally release it. For anyone who hasn't done the update it: you should. It makes the Tour so much more usable and fixes many annoying problems with 4.7. Not to mention the new threaded SMS's! My favorite part!

Good luck to everyone!

03-05-10 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD