My wife's phone got emailed today, 5.0.0.419 is officially supported for her Tour by Sasktel. I have read alot of mixed things about this OS. Whats the consensus here? Should I wait to update?
    01-22-10 04:27 PM
    well if your carrier made it official, jump on it. its a lot better then any 4.7 OS
    01-22-10 04:30 PM
    Makes me wonder if Vzw will also drop .419 on us? I hope not.
    01-22-10 04:36 PM
    Makes me wonder if Vzw will also drop .419 on us? I hope not.
    i'd be very surprised if .419 passes the testing Verizon puts it through...
    01-22-10 04:43 PM
    I am sure that some version of 5.0 will be released by VZW, just before or after the Tour 2 release

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 04:48 PM
    Yes, I know. Being a long time Vzw customer, I do know that they will take their swwet time with this OS and make sure it has the least amount of bugs. So, what's 4-6 more wks?
    01-22-10 05:02 PM
    lol, OP asks about .419, and then the thread goes in a different direction. 4 out of 5 posts are about Verizon and how they hope they don't release .419 (and they don't even mention why they don't like .419).

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, .419 is stable. The music player glitch is gone. 5.0 is much better than 4.7 in terms of speed. The only downside, at least for me, is that the battery life suffers. With 4.7, I can last about 2 or 3 days between charges. With 5.0, I have to recharge after about 10 hours (I work 10-hour shifts, and since my commute is about an hour in the morning, my phone tends to get close to dying way before it's time for me to go home).

If your wife can charge her phone while out of the house (e.g., car charger or a desk job that lets her stay by an electrical outlet), go for it! If she needs her phone to be there in case of an emergency, you might want to wait. Poor signal strength, phone calls, etc. will drain the battery quicker than if it were idling in a location with a great signal.
    01-22-10 06:17 PM
    Yes, I know. Being a long time Vzw customer, I do know that they will take their swwet time with this OS and make sure it has the least amount of bugs. So, what's 4-6 more wks?
    That sounds like a good (liberal) Vzw OS 5.0 release range.
    01-22-10 06:27 PM
    lol, OP asks about .419, and then the thread goes in a different direction. 4 out of 5 posts are about Verizon and how they hope they don't release .419 (and they don't even mention why they don't like .419).

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, .419 is stable. The music player glitch is gone. 5.0 is much better than 4.7 in terms of speed. The only downside, at least for me, is that the battery life suffers. With 4.7, I can last about 2 or 3 days between charges. With 5.0, I have to recharge after about 10 hours (I work 10-hour shifts, and since my commute is about an hour in the morning, my phone tends to get close to dying way before it's time for me to go home).

If your wife can charge her phone while out of the house (e.g., car charger or a desk job that lets her stay by an electrical outlet), go for it! If she needs her phone to be there in case of an emergency, you might want to wait. Poor signal strength, phone calls, etc. will drain the battery quicker than if it were idling in a location with a great signal.
    Thanks I wasn't going to post and complain, as all the Verizon users would gang up and flame me like a medieval pig roast. I've been reading thru posts here and think the pro's of version 5 outweigh the battery life.
    01-22-10 06:35 PM
    I have been using .419 for a week now and I love it. I have no complaints at all. I would update it if I were you.
    01-22-10 06:48 PM
    I upgraded to .419 from .230 last week. For the first day, my battery life was horrible. Never lasted past noon (after an overnight charge). But I read somewhere about doing several battery pulls and leaving the battery out more than 60 secs each time, and it should improve the battery life. Did that the following night and battery life did improve. I can go from 7am to 10pm without needing to charge, with the same amount of usage. Radio turns itself off at 10pm due to low battery.
    01-22-10 07:30 PM
    Cuz there are sooooooo many Saskatel users around. C'mon we all help each other, no? Let's be real. There will be more Tour users who will DL the Saskatel .419 ver on their cell from other carrier's than the originally releasing carrier. Just b/c one carrier drops the latest OS does not mean exclusivity to that carrier, right?

01-22-10 08:17 PM
    Cuz there are sooooooo many Saskatel users around. C'mon we all help each other, no? Let's be real. There will be more Tour users who will DL the Saskatel .419 ver on their cell from other carrier's than the originally releasing carrier. Just b/c one carrier drops the latest OS does not mean exclusivity to that carrier, right?
    MTS first dropped this exact version 4 days ago. No carrier has 'exclusive rights' to an OS.
    01-22-10 09:23 PM
    419 is good, but some of the hybrids around are excellent. The last few hybrids at bbhybrids.net have really corrected some of the minor flaws in 419.

Highly recommended.
    01-22-10 09:56 PM
    Wow! Thanks Mechanic joe. Really? I had NooooO idea. I appreciate the, uh, knowledge?

01-22-10 10:09 PM
    My wife's phone got emailed today, 5.0.0.419 is officially supported for her Tour by Sasktel. I have read alot of mixed things about this OS. Whats the consensus here? Should I wait to update?
    Installed .419 about 30 min ago. Let you know how it works out
    01-22-10 11:07 PM
    Wow! Thanks Mechanic joe. Really? I had NooooO idea. I appreciate the, uh, knowledge?
    Your welcome

.419 has been fine so far. My wife is a very casual user of her phone so I doubt even a significant drop in battery life would be noticed. She's upset that the application folder looks different? lol
    01-23-10 07:21 AM
    I've installed 419 on my Tour and all is good except for one major bug that I have encountered. The threaded SMS is great but if I already have a converstaion started and get a new SMS from a new contact it will put the new SMS (from the new contact) in the previous converstaion and when I go to reply to it, the text gets sent to the person I was talking to in the first place. Very confusing to explain. Has anyone else encountered this and if so do you have a fix. I use SMS more than I talk on my BB so a solution would be great, if all else fails I will have no choice but to consider a downgrade.

I've read somewhere that I replace the net_rim_bb_sms_compose from an earlier release, the problem may be resolved but I have no idea how to do that.

Mods, If I put this in the wrong thread, I aplogize but figured a thread discusing 419 would be a good place to start.

Someone, please help!

email: [email protected]
    01-25-10 07:59 AM
    I've installed 419 on my Tour and all is good except for one major bug that I have encountered. The threaded SMS is great but if I already have a converstaion started and get a new SMS from a new contact it will put the new SMS (from the new contact) in the previous converstaion and when I go to reply to it, the text gets sent to the person I was talking to in the first place. Very confusing to explain. Has anyone else encountered this and if so do you have a fix. I use SMS more than I talk on my BB so a solution would be great, if all else fails I will have no choice but to consider a downgrade.

I've read somewhere that I replace the net_rim_bb_sms_compose from an earlier release, the problem may be resolved but I have no idea how to do that.

Mods, If I put this in the wrong thread, I aplogize but figured a thread discusing 419 would be a good place to start.

Someone, please help!

email: [email protected]
    Not really sure what you mean. I wonder if a screen shot would help to clarify... my threaded sms works fine so far on .419.
    01-25-10 08:38 AM
    I'm mulling over installing this on my wife's 9630, but with reports like that of fratts, I'm thinking it's better to wait. Threaded SMS is the main feature of 5.0 that excites me but it needs to work.

Also, as I understand it, BlackBerry Messenger 5+ coupled with OS 5+ allows you to load SMS contacts into the BBM contacts list. If so, stand-alone threaded SMS would be unnecessary (though BBM may depend on the threaded SMS to work properly) since frequent SMS contacts could just be loaded into BBM and not managed in the Messages folders.

I hear too many complaints to make me confident enough to try .419.
    01-25-10 08:46 AM
    I too have this problem. Nearly had a major problem sending the wrong SMS to somebody :O
    01-28-10 08:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD