Just a heads up if you carry your Tour like I do in my pocket without a case. Even with a case, I suspect there is a slot in the top of the case too. I use the Verizon screen protector and prefer to just pop the Tour in my pocket with no case.

When I was trying to diagnose why some of my flash pics come out with a yellow tinge I looked at the flash lens with a lighted magnifier . . . What I see is many sand like specs of debris building up on the inside (backside) of the flash.

It looks to me like it's getting in by the slot at the top of the Tour.

No big deal operational wise yet, but if you have your phone in your providers store let them clean the flash lens while you are there if you see debris building up like mine is!
    08-30-09 08:25 PM
    happened on my storm too only thing i think to do to solve it is to keep it in a case and don't put it in the pocket without it
    08-30-09 08:30 PM
    I don't think it's because of the debris.

The yellow tinge you are talking about comes from an improper white balance setting that the camera is using. The temperature of the ambient light versus the temperature of the flash is different, and can cause color problems. This is especially noticeable when using your flash while ambient light of incandescent and/or tungsten types are present. The only way to really "fix" this is to gel your flash with the appropriate gel to change the color of the camera's flash from something other than white in order to mix properly with the ambient light conditions.

This isn't just a problem with a camera phone, by the way. This is a very basic photography problem which happens with $20,000 cameras, too.

The debris under the camera's protective cover can't be good, and would be curious how the debris is getting into your phone.
    08-30-09 08:31 PM
    my storm still took great pics but i could see dirt behind the plastic that covers the camera/flash assembly

just annoyed me
    08-30-09 08:37 PM
    On all three of my tours that I've had in the past month, I've noticed that dust has built up pretty quickly under the flash...my third and current tour still has the protective covering over the camera, and still has dust under the flash. Its mind blowing to me, considering the phone is being held in my ear, in my hands, or in a case at all times. I won't even set it down on anything-i ONLY EVER put it back in the case it came with...even when charging. I assume dust is getting in there through the slit on the top of the phone (where those seido cases clip into) ... Which is mind boggline also, considering it appears that the hole is pretty well sealed off. Ugh. For as many problems as this ******* phone has, its still the best bb I've ever owned. I just wish I would have waited for rev2 to release...but the ridiculous memory issues w/my 8830 for two years kinda forced me to upgrade. Oh well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 09:58 PM
    my storm still took great pics but i could see dirt behind the plastic that covers the camera/flash assembly

just annoyed me
    So wht did u do to get rid of the dust

08-30-09 11:49 PM
    I've noticed this today. I looked at my flash and saw some dust in there. Not a big deal, yet.

08-30-09 11:53 PM
    I don't think it's because of the debris.

The yellow tinge you are talking about comes from an improper white balance setting that the camera is using. The temperature of the ambient light versus the temperature of the flash is different, and can cause color problems. This is especially noticeable when using your flash while ambient light of incandescent and/or tungsten types are present. The only way to really "fix" this is to gel your flash with the appropriate gel to change the color of the camera's flash from something other than white in order to mix properly with the ambient light conditions.

This isn't just a problem with a camera phone, by the way. This is a very basic photography problem which happens with $20,000 cameras, too.

The debris under the camera's protective cover can't be good, and would be curious how the debris is getting into your phone.
    Ya, I wasn't alluding to the lens was causing the yellow pics. This debris issue was found as an offshoot while I was trying to diagnose why some pics were coming out yellow. This was discussed in another thread over the last two days and the white balance seemed to be the consensus.

If you put your mouth over the slot and blow the air comes right through the earpiece very easily so it looks like that slot is wide open to catch dirt and debris. I'd be real careful with the Tour like at the beach. Also, using the Tour while like walking in the rain that open slot might channel rain drops right into it's innards pretty quickly!

In any case it's no biggy to me. I'll just have Verizon clean it up for me every now and then at one of their tech staffed stores.
    08-30-09 11:56 PM
    On all three of my tours that I've had in the past month, I've noticed that dust has built up pretty quickly under the flash...my third and current tour still has the protective covering over the camera, and still has dust under the flash. Its mind blowing to me, considering the phone is being held in my ear, in my hands, or in a case at all times. I won't even set it down on anything-i ONLY EVER put it back in the case it came with...even when charging. I assume dust is getting in there through the slit on the top of the phone (where those seido cases clip into) ... Which is mind boggline also, considering it appears that the hole is pretty well sealed off. Ugh. For as many problems as this ******* phone has, its still the best bb I've ever owned. I just wish I would have waited for rev2 to release...but the ridiculous memory issues w/my 8830 for two years kinda forced me to upgrade. Oh well.

I found it was not worth waiting for the various PDA revisions because at least you have the latest and greatest to use right now. These devices are so sensitive to quirks or even losing one I found through all of my Palm Treo revs I never actually upgraded to the latest device. Each time I swapped it back through Verizon's insurance plan they usually had to replace it with the latest rev because they had no refurbs of the older units in stock.

So if you have the insurance, somewhere down the road your current phone breaks and they replace it with the later model. I'm not suggesting you lose your phone, all I'm saying if your phone breaks 6 months down the road by that time most of their replacements have been upgraded by then.

I think that's how I wound up with 3 model upgrades. Once I lost it and the other two times the device froze up, they could not fix it over the phone and they sent me newer models each time. I only had to pay the deductible for the one I lost.
    08-31-09 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD