Like the title says, why are there two options, one with a camera and one without for the same price? Who would purchase the no-camera option? And if it's you, please explain why.
    06-30-09 06:09 AM
    Some gov't employees/contractors arnt alod to have cameras on their phones for nationa security reasons. Some employers because of NDA agreements or security reasons. Thats just 2 diffrent searios i've been under where a non-camera berry was nessary.
    06-30-09 06:12 AM
    i have a non-camera berry for work
    06-30-09 06:32 AM
    As Buckeyegoose eluded to, Cameras pose a Intellectual property threat in the business and government world, Some businesses will not allow employee's to have USB keys, or Phones that have an external MicroSD slot as well as Cameras to protect trade secrets,

Those that are buying the device with out the camera are less concerned about a few dollars here and their as generally they have a special requirement and are used to paying more to meet those requirements.

ALSO for company's with limited dataplans on employee phones can see this as a way to save data as their employees will not be able to snap pictures and e-mail them, which can quickly eat up a 4MB e-mail plan.
    06-30-09 07:15 AM
    Makes sense. Thanks for the replies.
    06-30-09 07:32 AM
    Most courtrooms don't allow phones with cameras.
    06-30-09 07:33 AM
    Some gov't employees/contractors arnt alod to have cameras on their phones for nationa security reasons. Some employers because of NDA agreements or security reasons. Thats just 2 diffrent searios i've been under where a non-camera berry was nessary.
    Exactly. Lots of people at my job don't have camera on their phone. They have the world BB.
    06-30-09 07:35 AM
    I couldn't live without my camera.
    06-30-09 08:06 AM
    I couldn't live without my camera.
    well it is a good thing you were born in this century then eh?
    06-30-09 08:43 AM
    I understand the reasons for not having a camera. I know of a "large company" near me that forbids camera phones due to security reasons. But, the question that's still there is, why is it the same price? Maybe it's like the non-camera version is $199, or they'll throw the camera in for free. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have a definitive feature disparity, but yet no price disparity.
    06-30-09 08:58 AM
    the non camera version is a coutesey for those that can't have a phone with a camera. it's not complicated.
    06-30-09 09:09 AM
    That, and they know that if you aren't allowed to have a camera but want a Blackberry (esp. a Tour), your options are limited, so they know you will pay the same for a version that may not have as many features.

And really, the cost savings to produce a non-camera version aren't that great. It's possibly even higher to deviate from the standard (with camera).
    06-30-09 09:17 AM
    the non camera version is a coutesey for those that can't have a phone with a camera. it's not complicated.
    No question on why they made it. It's still a little baffling though on why they made it the same price.
    06-30-09 09:29 AM
    its geared toward the business sector.. and to be honest the market they are looking at wants a new style device with lots of memory and a non cam... with the discounts most large enterprise customers get it doesnt really matter...

Look at the the fact the 8830 was always historically a lil higher price..and still sold out alot..

OBAMA's new phone is a non cam tour...
    06-30-09 09:35 AM
    its geared toward the business sector.. and to be honest the market they are looking at wants a new style device with lots of memory and a non cam... with the discounts most large enterprise customers get it doesnt really matter...

Look at the the fact the 8830 was always historically a lil higher price..and still sold out alot..

OBAMA's new phone is a non cam tour...
    I am one that needs a phone without a camera. This is needed for my position that I work in. I can count the number of pictures that I have taken with my storm on one hand. What I want to know though is if Verizon is going to shut down MMS on the Tour's that do not have a camera? That is the biggest thing at this point that is going to make me not buy this phone to replace my 8830. The lack of MMS because of no camera is cr*p.
    06-30-09 11:30 AM
    I have never had a phone with a camera before. Not something I really care about. And I like to keep my options open as far as access to certain facilities, so I think the no camera option is important, and RIM knows this.
    06-30-09 11:51 AM
    I am one that needs a phone without a camera. This is needed for my position that I work in. I can count the number of pictures that I have taken with my storm on one hand. What I want to know though is if Verizon is going to shut down MMS on the Tour's that do not have a camera? That is the biggest thing at this point that is going to make me not buy this phone to replace my 8830. The lack of MMS because of no camera is cr*p.
    After reading your post I had to check and on the VZW website & MMS is indeed not listed under the features of the Cameraless Tour. I really wasn't expecting that as I never really looked intot he 8830. It is listed on the Tour with a camera so it seems it was left off the phone all together.
    I kind of get it but not 100% sure.
    Is it just so these companies that require camraless phones don;t want to take even the slightest chance.
    Anything to do with MMS not going through the BES? Not sure about that at all so I apologize for the uninformed assumption.
    06-30-09 12:12 PM
    I sent an email to the CSR I dealt with this morning on my pre-order. Wanted to make sure we got the version of the Tour with the camera.

He wrote back and said "No worries, you have to specifically ask for the non camera version. No danger of anyone getting a non camera version as a result of the preorder unless they asked for it."
    06-30-09 03:08 PM
    Is it possible that the reason the camera and non-camera versions are the same price is because they both actually have a camera, just that it is disabled inthe software for the non-camera version?

Inkdesigner
    06-30-09 03:19 PM
    No there is actually physically no camera on it.
    06-30-09 03:33 PM
    Not sure why there is so much discussion around the camera vs. no camera...

Some people's jobs don't allow for cameras. If you have one of those jobs, you can either get the no camera version or find another way to cover it. If you can have a camera phone, like most people, then get the camera version.

What else is there to it?
    06-30-09 03:35 PM
    No there is actually physically no camera on it.
    Whouldn't it be funny if the back cover is just covering up the camera and a slight low level software change just takes care of the software access to it?
    06-30-09 03:36 PM
    Whouldn't it be funny if the back cover is just covering up the camera and a slight low level software change just takes care of the software access to it?
    Haha, you could take lots of black pictures.
    06-30-09 03:39 PM
    After reading your post I had to check and on the VZW website & MMS is indeed not listed under the features of the Cameraless Tour. I really wasn't expecting that as I never really looked intot he 8830. It is listed on the Tour with a camera so it seems it was left off the phone all together.
    I kind of get it but not 100% sure.
    Is it just so these companies that require camraless phones don;t want to take even the slightest chance.
    Anything to do with MMS not going through the BES? Not sure about that at all so I apologize for the uninformed assumption.
    MMS has nothing to do with BIS or BES, that one is all Verizon, no ifs, ands, or butts about it. That was one of the few things that I really didn't like about the 8830 was the lack of MMS. Mostly for the little jokes that float around. The alternative was to have them sent to your email from the other end but I got tired of explaining that my phone didn't receive MMS even though it is a carrier thing and not a phone issue.
    06-30-09 04:10 PM
    Most courtrooms don't allow phones with cameras.
    Yeah my dad's a lawyer and he said he can't take his BB in there with him if it has a camera on it
    06-30-09 04:31 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD