It's been safe to order one from day 1 in my opinion.
    same here mine been a beast since day one
    08-15-09 05:36 AM
    Each persons experience is different. Me, I have had absolutely no issues so I will not suggest that the Tour is an awful BB and do not buy it! My Tour is perfect and yes I'm bragging about it :-) had it since day one and works as good as it did when I first got it. I feel bad for those of you that have not had the same experience of us that had good working Berrys but don't try to spoil it for others that still want to buy one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah and that person goes to buy a new Tour and find out that he got a defective phone listening to you. Congratulations!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 06:14 AM
    I ordered mine on Aug 13 and got it on the 14th. So far:
    Battery door is tight--no looseness at all.
    Screen ripples ONLY when I press the screen directly. Pressing any buttons, trackball, even with heavy pressure, produces no ripple whatsoever.
    Headphone jack seems fine although I haven't used it for a long session.

The only hardware issue I have so far is the light leak from the call and hang up buttons when the keypad is lit. I doubt they will fix this but it is a slightly disappointing lack of polish.

I can't speak to sound quality or bluetooth yet because I haven't used either extensively, but it does seem like the batch I got mine from has these manufacturing defects resolved. For the record, I ordered in Philadelphia and it was shipped from West Chester, PA.

Overall I like the Tour so far and it is an upgrade from my Pearl 8130 which was completely dying. I am a bit underwhelmed that the 4.7 OS, while a bit nicer than the 4.6 I was running on the Pearl, is still ugly and has convoluted menus. Hopefully we get 5.0 as an upgrade.
    08-15-09 07:43 AM
    Please define "Safe"...

Does "Safe" mean that it will look good hanging on your belt, or that it will work as advertised?

It is definitely safe to hang on your belt, as I think the belt clip is the only thing that RIM and VZW actually tested before they began shipping.
    08-17-09 12:58 AM
    I got this phone around two or three days after it came out, and I think it was just as safe to get it then as it is now.
    Now that logic I certainly can't argue with...
    08-17-09 01:00 AM
    Guys,

Do you think it is safe to order a VZW Tour yet? I don't want to be going back and forth to exchange this thing.

I have read in a few posts that the device is improved alot - but folks who are close to their 30 day return period seem to have having trackball issues.

Thoughts anyone ?
    I would safely say that you should be fine by now. I did hear that they did fix most of the issues and are re-releasing new ones or may have already this was RIM's doing.... I am on my 2nd one currently but I still love it...
    08-17-09 01:28 AM
    the only issue so far that rim has recognized is the trackball and they found the cause. stores should be getting new ones with a green dot on the bar code side of the box indicating that it is not nessesarly a new redone tour, but a triple checked tour with no track ball issues.
    08-17-09 09:29 AM
    also for the record, i bought a t6 screwdriver and checked my screws (even the one under the white sticker), they were all tight so i loosened them a 1/4 turn and it made it worse. so i tightened them back and then a bit more, maybe another 1/4 turn and the ripple is pretty much completely gone. and im talking about the one when you click the menu button.
    08-17-09 09:31 AM
    Get the Tour you wont be disappointed. It's the best BB in VZW's line-up. I came from using the Curve, which by the way is an excellent device, and I have not looked back.

Sure there are defective phones but they are in no way the majority.

I highly recommend you get it. There is a majority who have not had an issue with it since release and there is no reason to think you won't have the same experience.
    08-17-09 09:52 AM
    I'm coming from a Curve 8330 that is beat to shreds. Is this "Green Dot" thing really official. Is there any way of knowing for sure that I will get a "2nd batch" or "triple checked" tour when I go into the store? I'm sold on getting the Tour...just don't want to be dealing with problems if there is a way to avoid them.
    08-19-09 04:00 PM
    What does not having a product have anything to do with common sense?
    What difference does it make if I have a Tour or not?

The OP asked if it was safe to purchase the Tour now since in the beginning it was a rough start. One poster implied it was safe to order free from problems since day one.. How can anyone make that claim when you can clearly read these forums as evidence of more than just an isolated problems... the important thing here is these problems or issues are consistent with everyone else.. Battery door, poor call quality sound, Bluetooth sound in cars, screen ripples, LAGGY track balls are just a few problems.. you or some others may not have had this problem, but that doesn't mean its 100% free from defects.

Here is another news flash.. when the Black Berry Curve 8330 was released to Verizon there was no quality issues at this level. So saying the Tour is NOT as bad as the Storm is laughable or are you implying that RIM decided to lower their quality issues starting with the release of the Storm? If thats the case look over yonder at T-Mobile's 8900 curve.. hmm no issues there?
    Hey, you, Mr. News Flash.

It's an electronic device, with human-created software, in an early stage of production. Your claims that this and that have had no problems are false. Bottom line is more units = more complaints.

As for the OP, do what you feel comfortable with. Give it a shot, you have 30 days anyways. Sure, if you have problems, you'll have to call or go to a store. Unfortunately, that's the name of the game.
    08-19-09 04:30 PM
    As the OP who posted the original question. I feel it safe to dip my toe into the BB world with a Tour. Thanks for everyone's input.

I saw first hand the trackball issue. One of my colleagues had one - said he loved it but the trackball was F*****. He was right. I also went into a Corp store and had a good ole play with a Tour. My wife has a curve and I really like it. My Brother has a Bold and it was cool.

I'm ready for one and for anyone wondering if they should do it. I say do it as well.

I believe the $100 rebate runs out at the end of the month. Will VZW keep it at that price. No is my thought - why cos they are VZW, and they always do screwy pricing things. But it will be back at that price prolly after a month or 2.

I've ordered my Tour... I read about the "green dots". I have to order through my company and they haven't processed it. So the chance of getting a so called "Batch-2" is somewhat high.

Coming from WinMo I was tempted by the Touch Pro2. But my current device reminded me why I need to move away from WinMo. WinMob 7 looks nice - but the time it comes to a device, it will be time for me to get another phone.

My wife also has an iPhone - I used to love it, but recently after playing with her curve, I can't stand the typing experience.
    08-19-09 08:39 PM
    Tib': I've exercised the Verizon Worry Free Guarantee twice this year - so do not worry, VZW has you covered. If you don't like it, return it within 30 days for a full refund (full reset if you're an existing customer); no questions, no hassle. Sounds like you've already pulled the trigger, so the rest is moot; but...

I did have a week #1 Tour; it had most of the classic issues: muffled outbound, screen ripple, loose cover - took it back on the third week when VZW announced B BOGO was back. Sooo, tomorrow I have two new Tours arriving from VZW CS. If anyone else is interested, I can post my results with the new BBs in the next couple of days.

I would say this: give the device a week to get through all of it's upgrades and resets (these are going to happen until all the apps are up-to-date, kind of like Windows Upgrades). Give the battery a few good charge cycles and be aware of how many apps your are running; especially the constantly connected apps like Slacker, Pandora, E*Trade... (huge battery hogs). The trackball may suffer some lag if the OS is very busy; this is simply a trade off of having a multi-processing OS on such a small device. If the thing gets STUCK, return it immediately: this is a known issue with some improperly manufactured devices.

The bottom line is, if you are too picky to be an early adopter, then DON'T; pick up a Curve - they are tried and true. If you want the coolest, sexiest, (makes iPod and Pre owners drool) BB device AND can put up with a few minor glitches - the Tour ROCKS.
    08-19-09 10:48 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD