Hi guys, I have, yet again, another problem. I was cleaning my trackball with the alcohol, qtip method(in which I actually used a cotton ball, seeing its pretty much the same thing) and apparently used a little too much rubbing alcohol because it got inside the screen. It seems to be on 2 different layers, but I thought rubbing alcohol was supposed to dry fairly quickly? Guess not. I'm currently letting it settle in a bowl of rice(as I've read from almost everyone), and hoping it works. The only problem I'm having is that when I click in the trackball, it types out "hl". Other than that, there are no problems with the keys as I went through all of them. I know there's probably threads on WATER getting into blackberry's but not rubbing alcohol. Any tips you guys offer?
    10-28-09 10:21 PM
    use prep pads instead next time
    10-28-09 10:45 PM
    I was wondering what is a good & efficient method to clean the Tour's trackball since I find myself doing it a lot lately.
    10-28-09 11:16 PM
    Hahah next time. I'm just hoping it dries quick, I had to move it around in the rice a little. I just hope there's no damage and the trackball starts working back like it used to. It was spread across about half the screen but there was barely enough to even cover a drip, I wonder how it spread so far. I'm cringing right now, I can't lose this little guy!
    10-28-09 11:18 PM
    I was wondering what is a good & efficient method to clean the Tour's trackball since I find myself doing it a lot lately.
    Don't use a lot of rubbing alcohol, just a forewarning hahaha. I've been doing it pretty often too. Hoping all is good in the morning...
    10-28-09 11:19 PM
    I don't really clean the my trackball but there is one thing you should be aware of. Always check the alcohol % of the alcohol. Typical rubbing alcohol is around 70% alcohol which means almost a third of it is something else, likely impurities, and it is these impurities that stay behind. You should go to your local drug store and try to find something that is 91% or greater as this is that leaves much less residue.

BBPi

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 11:36 PM
    Hi guys, I have, yet again, another problem. I was cleaning my trackball with the alcohol, qtip method(in which I actually used a cotton ball, seeing its pretty much the same thing) and apparently used a little too much rubbing alcohol because it got inside the screen. It seems to be on 2 different layers, but I thought rubbing alcohol was supposed to dry fairly quickly? Guess not. I'm currently letting it settle in a bowl of rice(as I've read from almost everyone), and hoping it works. The only problem I'm having is that when I click in the trackball, it types out "hl". Other than that, there are no problems with the keys as I went through all of them. I know there's probably threads on WATER getting into blackberry's but not rubbing alcohol. Any tips you guys offer?
    you took the battery out of it, right?
    10-28-09 11:39 PM
    i use iklear
    works great
    i clean my laptop daily and at the same time my bb
    i try to prevent problems
    no trackball issue since day 1
    10-28-09 11:42 PM
    Yeah, I took the battery out, not IMMEDIATELY, not sure how long there was a problem, because I wasn't by my phone, as soon as I went over to it, I immediately took it out though, and it is now submerged in rice for the night. I'm REALLY really hoping it's okay. I've only had this for a month now, not even. I don't know if it's gonna work, mainly cause it's not water that's lodged in there.
    10-28-09 11:43 PM
    I use denatured alcohol found in the hardware store. It has less water and impurities like Blackberry Pi mentioned. I also hold the phone upside down so that the moisture can't get into the phone as well as gravity will help dislodge and remove debris. I then use canned air to dry and remove any further loose debris. And I wouldn't use Q-tips or cotton balls - they leave lint/fuzz that may contribute to your trackball woes. Use a micro-fiber cloth.
    Last edited by RegE; 10-29-09 at 01:03 AM. Reason: addendum
    10-29-09 12:42 AM
    Giving your Tour too much alcohol can make it sluggish and erratic, and in the morning it may hesitate and be grumpy. DO NOT hydrate it like you would yourself as it doesn't dehydrate when imbibing. )
    10-29-09 12:45 AM
    I lick my thumb and work the trackball around with the wet thumb :-)
    10-29-09 12:51 AM
    Hahaha. I actually have alright hopes for this, i have a good feeling that it will be fine in the morning. But, ya never know, I'll post back here and let you guys know. I don't know what I'm gonna do without my BB if she's not working in the morning...I don't even have an older phone to go back to...
    Last edited by danlovaa; 10-29-09 at 02:50 AM.
    10-29-09 12:53 AM
    Well I assume by now you know the outcome, but it should be fine...all the alcohol should evaporate.

Here's how I clean my trackball:
    I have a huge box of 70% isopropyl alcohol medical prep pads. They are WAY oversaturated, so I tear one open, juice the alcohol out of it as much as possible, then scrub my trackball for 30 seconds or so. Then I spin it around and hit it with some canned air until it's dry. I do this every 2 days, usually. The trackball goes from black to the grey color it was when I took it out of the box.

That said, as soon as the essex trackpad/keyboard is availible in the parts market, I'll be getting one. (Assuming it fits, which I think it will)
    10-29-09 08:04 AM
    Sorry double
    10-29-09 08:05 AM
    Yeah, I let it sit in rice all night and voila it works! The alcohol is definitely still behind the screen but the trackball is back to functioning how they were before! Luckily! Yeah I'm definitely gonna get an Essex when they come out. I'm due for an upgrade by February so if they come out in Q1 or Q2 that'd be cool
    Last edited by danlovaa; 10-29-09 at 12:56 PM.
    10-29-09 12:29 PM
    I turn off my phone and use alcohol wipes then dry it off with a micro fiber wipe works wonders for me
    10-29-09 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD