"Hello,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support.

As a publicly traded company, Research In Motion cannot disclose this type of information. Please visit our web site at Smartphone - Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com for information on which BlackBerry smartphone is available in your area and software release. You may also view our press releases at Research In Motion to get the latest information about new product announcements.

Thank you again for contacting us. Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Vivian
    BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited"

My Email asked for when the Plazmic update would come out for the Tour.
    Last edited by FTWrath; 07-20-09 at 01:28 AM.
    07-20-09 01:26 AM
    wacckkkkkk! "/
    07-20-09 01:45 AM
    pffft. someone is bound to let it slip in the near future. always leaks and ninjas sending out info.
    07-20-09 03:07 AM
    pffft. someone is bound to let it slip in the near future. always leaks and ninjas sending out info.
    Exactly.

Rim is just covering their ***.
    07-20-09 06:20 AM
    Sorry to be ignorant but what is plazmic ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 07:17 AM
    I think a "no we have no idea" would have worked better. You just got someone who had no idea, an update to theme building software for one device is not going to be viewed as insider information.
    07-20-09 07:23 AM
    it's a theme maker program @mvp
    07-20-09 07:31 AM
    I think a "no we have no idea" would have worked better. You just got someone who had no idea, an update to theme building software for one device is not going to be viewed as insider information.

It could be viewed as insider information,

If they said in 2 weeks plazmic would be out, and it came out and stock prices went up, announcing when it would be released in an e-mail and not making it public could be called insider trading. far fetched but possible, as a company they wouldn't want to risk that.

it would be nice if RIM had a Dev blog that they could apply estimated time lines to things like this, it would be public and not result in any problems, in the event it did cause a change in stock prices.

I DO hope, that the reason for the lack of Plazmic is that the Dev time is more focuses on OS 5.0, which hopefully will launch soon enough that Plazmic for 4.7 will be a waste of time..
    07-20-09 07:38 AM
    I got the same stupid email. I emailed back and asked had they thought about collaborating between depts so that the release at the same time or close.
    07-20-09 07:50 AM

If they said in 2 weeks plazmic would be out, and it came out and stock prices went up, announcing when it would be released in an e-mail and not making it public could be called insider trading. far fetched but possible, as a company they wouldn't want to risk that.

it would be nice if RIM had a Dev blog that they could apply estimated time lines to things like this, it would be public and not result in any problems, in the event it did cause a change in stock prices.

I DO hope, that the reason for the lack of Plazmic is that the Dev time is more focuses on OS 5.0, which hopefully will launch soon enough that Plazmic for 4.7 will be a waste of time..
    Love the hypothetical and of course it is possible, just about anything is. What I am saying is that the OP asked an entry level rep when a software update would be coming out. That is like walking in to a Verizon store and asking a rep when the Storm 2 will be out. The smart person says I have no idea, the ***** will tell you a date and hope you never come back, and the person who is afraid of looking like they don't know what they shouldn't will tell you "man I would love to tell you but the SEC will really come down on me hard."
    07-20-09 08:02 AM
    I emailed them a week ago, and the response I got was completely different.

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Application Development Support.In response to your recent message regarding the Plazmic Content Developers Kit (CDK), I would be happy to address this issue for you.

The most recently released version of the Plazmic Content Developers Kit (CDK) is version 4.7 and available at [ plazmic ]. Since the BlackBerry Tour smartphone runs on handheld software version 4.7.1, the current release of the CDK will not be able to support content development on this particular handheld platform at this time. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused in the meantime.

Rest assured that we are aware of this issue, and are hard at work to address the functionality of the CDK to fully support the newest BlackBerry device. Any possibility of a subsequent release or potential timeline for an update of the CDK would only be speculation at this time.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused in your development. Thank you for your interest in BlackBerry content development and have a great day Maria!

Sincerely,
    James
    Software Engineering Analyst

07-20-09 09:00 AM
    I emailed them a week ago, and the response I got was completely different.

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Application Development Support.In response to your recent message regarding the Plazmic Content Developers Kit (CDK), I would be happy to address this issue for you.

The most recently released version of the Plazmic Content Developers Kit (CDK) is version 4.7 and available at [ plazmic ]. Since the BlackBerry Tour smartphone runs on handheld software version 4.7.1, the current release of the CDK will not be able to support content development on this particular handheld platform at this time. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused in the meantime.

Rest assured that we are aware of this issue, and are hard at work to address the functionality of the CDK to fully support the newest BlackBerry device. Any possibility of a subsequent release or potential timeline for an update of the CDK would only be speculation at this time.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused in your development. Thank you for your interest in BlackBerry content development and have a great day Maria!

Sincerely,
    James
    Software Engineering Analyst

You contacted someone much more in the know!
    just look at the titles of the people James actually could be involved with the process..
    07-20-09 09:02 AM
    The release of Plazmic is not material to RIM. A proper announcement wouldn't affect trading in RIM.
    07-20-09 09:11 AM
    The release of Plazmic is not material to RIM. A proper announcement wouldn't affect trading in RIM.
    Does app world sell themes? // (honestly don't know the answer)

Are people waiting on Plazmic to buy the tour because they want themes?

unfortunately the smallest things can have a big influence, as a company you don't want to take any chances with official correspondence.
    07-20-09 09:16 AM
    as far as i know...the app world doesnt sell any themes. i find all of mine here on CB as many people post them here.

i think there are some people who are holding off on getting the tour for various reasons. and one of them sadly is the fact that they can't get a today theme. while it is beneficial to have such a theme, i dont think its a viable reason NOT to purchase a phone.
    07-20-09 09:25 AM
    as far as i know...the app world doesnt sell any themes. i find all of mine here on CB as many people post them here.

i think there are some people who are holding off on getting the tour for various reasons. and one of them sadly is the fact that they can't get a today theme. while it is beneficial to have such a theme, i dont think its a viable reason NOT to purchase a phone.

Depends, if I didn't buy it full retail and was waiting on a contract to expire, I'd hold off an extra couple of weeks waiting for my extra 50 bucks then buy now and not get a today theme,

I am glad I still carry my curve for work, as not having a today theme on the tour does bother me, as does the cartoony buttons, but I'm a gadget geek so I still would by now, others might not.
    07-20-09 09:32 AM
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a leaked version
    07-21-09 04:41 PM
    just hope it doesn't take as long as it did with the storm
    07-21-09 04:45 PM

+1000 on that one!

I worked for a public company based in florida. I was involved in public relations and investor relations. Theres a thin line of what can be said and can not with public companies.

When someone other than investor relations or public relations answered a question concerning upcoming products or services, we'd cringe! Then we'd wait for the fallout on message boards and news articles.

Sure enough, message boards would light up and we'd try and avoid it until a news agency or SEC got ahold of it and we'd write some PR based on the leak, but not about the leak. Its nuts being in a public company.

Its far from simply telling people whats going on. Although it would be nice, they can't. The employee that told the someone about it being WORKED ON and should be done shortly was wrong. The most they should have said was, Plazmic 4.7 doesn't work for 4.7.1 Tours and all further info would be disclosed through press releases if there were any new developments.
    07-21-09 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD