Playing Rhapsody DRM tracks on my Tour (v4.7.1.40) results in one of the following errors for all but a few of the tracks:

1. Error Playing. [i] An error has occurred attempting to play media.

- or -

2. You do not have the rights to play this content. You may need to synchronize with your PC in order to obtain rights.

Error 1 happens most; error 2 occurs rarely (instead of the first), though the following tracks display error 1.

Interestingly, when I connect the Tour to the PC (Windows XP SP3) after re-enabling Mass Storage Mode, I can browse to the device-stored DRM-controlled tracks using Windows Explorer. When I double click on them, Windows Media Player (v11.0.5721.5230) plays the same (DRM) tracks without issue. Conclusion: the Tour has issues with the codec or DRM.

Rhapsody Support was reluctant to offer assistance, at first insisting the device isn't supported (though I sort of convinced him). In the end, he said to contact the manufacturer. RIM charges $50 for support issues, so I may start with Verizon Wireless.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
    07-25-09 10:13 PM
    Having the same issue with my tour, have been on the phone with verizon for some basic troubleshooting and Rhapsody (which was far less helpful). I can refresh track licenses, pull the battery and get the tracks to play again... but this only works for a few days. Is there anyone out there using Rhapsody to go and not having this issue?
    07-25-09 11:52 PM
    Well after a second call to customer service they are shipping me another tour, will post if this solves the issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 12:48 AM
    hmm I dont think DRM music has been supported on any blackberry....

I could be mistaking as the last I checked was a bit ago..
    07-29-09 04:13 AM
    If you are using a VZW tour, this is a design issue with the phone. The tour has a 10mb reserve of memory for DRM license files, which equates to about 350 songs. The problem is when you load more songs, rhapsody will sync them over but the phone can't hold the DRM, hence the "rights to play" error. It does not matter how much space you have on your SD card as this problem will still be present. So until there is a software update that will reallocate more memory for DRM license files, this will keep happening. its a recognized issue, but no official fix yet.

Last edited by marcusfenix; 07-29-09 at 05:22 PM.
    07-29-09 12:59 PM
    If you are using a VZW tour, this is a design issue with the phone. The tour has a 10mb reserve of memory for DRM license files, which equates to about 300 songs. The problem is when you load more songs, rhapsody will sync them over but the phone can't hold the DRM, hence the "rights to play" error. It does not matter how much space you have on your SD card as this problem will still be present. So until there is a software update that will reallocate more memory for DRM license files, this will keep happening. its a recognized issue, but no official fix yet.

Wow, good to know. Thanks! I was just about to post that Rhapsody was working fine on my tour, but I only have a few albums synced at this point. Hope this is addressed in future OS releases.
    07-29-09 02:49 PM
    I was told by customer support that 10MB would give me about 1500 Licenses. They determined this wasn't the issue on my phone. Ive had this issue from the first time I added tracks to the device. One thing I noticed Immediately when I plugged in the 2nd phone is that the Device Memory listed under sources where it never did on the 1st phone. But Ill post back in a few days if this pops up again.
    Last edited by Rushdo; 07-29-09 at 10:09 PM.
    07-29-09 10:05 PM
    On my Tour, errors don't show up until I hit about 700-800 songs. This is somewhat consistent with the statement about limited 10MB reserve for DRM licenses (1500 is probably an estimate).

I experienced the exact same behavior with a Tour replacement, as well.

Any idea if Rhapsody and Verizon Wireless support are aware, and communicating this internally? (Are you reading this, Rhapsody and Verizon Wireless support???) I wasted a few calls with their support teams - the were clearly not in the know at that time, and we each spent many cycles on the phone and testing offline. Ideally, they'd start to communicate this consistently so that other customers can avoid wasting troubleshooting time on a known issue. Not rocket science.....
    07-30-09 01:38 AM
    Any idea if Rhapsody and Verizon Wireless support are aware, and communicating this internally? (Are you reading this, Rhapsody and Verizon Wireless support???) I wasted a few calls with their support teams - the were clearly not in the know at that time, and we each spent many cycles on the phone and testing offline.
    You are really looking to the wrong place for answers. Verizon and Rhapsody only provide services for the phones. Talk to RIM, they made the device and should be in on this discussion too.
    07-30-09 01:40 PM
    Fair point, though RIM won't take my call unless I pay $50 for the privilege to report/work through a potential bug. Suggestions?

The "system" is really broken on all sides - RIM, VZW, Rhapsody, etc. etc.
    07-30-09 11:05 PM
    You are really looking to the wrong place for answers. Verizon and Rhapsody only provide services for the phones. Talk to RIM, they made the device and should be in on this discussion too.
    I logged a ticket with RIM ($79 now). Initially they said their developers were not aware of this issue, then I received this response:

"I spoke with our developers about the issue you are experiencing and it is in fact something that has already been brought to their attention, and they are currently working on resolving it. They are currently tracking with SDR343694, it is slated to be resolved in a future release of the BlackBerry device software. Because this has been identified as a software defect in the BlackBerry device software I have reversed the charge for this incident."

I asked for any further details, including if the fix might be in the .42 release rumored to be arriving soon - no response.
    08-27-09 09:01 AM
    Now, I'm unable to get *any* DRM tracks to play on my Tour.

I tried wiping all tracks from the device, then adding just a dozen - no luck. I also tried battery pulls. Still no luck.

Any suggestions? Please help!
    09-07-09 09:54 PM
    hmm I dont think DRM music has been supported on any blackberry....

I could be mistaking as the last I checked was a bit ago..
    I thought Rhapsody was DRM free now?
    09-07-09 10:22 PM
    Any further developments on this issue?
    10-25-09 11:34 AM
    I used to have DRM rights with no problems on my Tour. Updated licenses regularly with Rhapsody as they expire after 30 days. Then I received the most recent approved OS update. After that, nothing. I plug into Rhapsody and do an update but my Tour still shows that I don't have rights to play my To Go tracks.

I have less than 200 songs that require DRM rights so its not a device memory issue. If anyone had this resolved please share. Thanks!
    11-30-09 08:55 AM
    I've been using Rhapsody on my Tour since the day it came out. I installed a Hybrid OS 5.0.230 2 or 3 days ago and since then, MTP mode does not work properly. If I try to sync to Rhapsody, my phone reboots, consistently. I went back to the way I was doing it before my wife had an MTP phone, using MuvAudio (like $20) to convert the DRM .wma files to 192k MP3. I hate doing this, it's very inconvenient, but before OS 5, I can tell you I *never* had issues using Rhapsody with my Verizon Tour. It's definitely compatible with the device straight out of the box.
    12-01-09 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD