Because of some speaker problems with my Tour, I brought it to my local Verizon store to have a tech take a look at it. He was unable to resolve the problem and said that they had no replacements in stock and one would be sent to me via Fedex. I aksed if it would be a refurbished phone and he said it would. Later, I began to wonder exactly what the 'factory refurbishment' would be. Is it just repairing the glitches that someone else had or is it also cosmetic?

I've yet to receive the new unit. Using backup/restore, I was able to fix the problem myself (restored it to a date prior to the problems starting). I often use the phone at work, so it has some scratches and keyboard wear, so it would be nice to get a pristine unit (perhaps I'll be one of the lucky ones to receive a Bold) .

Having read some other threads, it appears that replacement phones aren't covered by Assurion. Has anyone had experience with this? I don't want to break the replacement and find that I'm not covered.

Since the problem is solved on mine, it may just be best to keep it.
    08-01-10 02:09 PM
    It is my understanding that replacement phones are cover by Assurion. I got a replacement for my son last year and it was covered when we got it. There is some restriction as to how many replacements you can receive per year or something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 02:27 PM
    Refurbished phones are cosmetically like new. Electronically they may be better than new since they've been individually tested.
    08-01-10 03:51 PM
    I bought my bold the day they came out, November 4 2008. December 23, 2008 it died. At&t replaced it with a refurb that looked brand new and I am still using it with no problems.
    08-01-10 04:02 PM
    the first year the phone is under mfg warranty. I used to have ins and now I have an extended warranty. After paying ins for a yr and not using it I am taking the chance. I am very careful. And if something should happen after the yr under the extended warranty I get a replacement free. Refurb phones are not used devices. These are devices that originally failed the testing. They then take them individually and test them, fix the issues and keep them for insurance and warranty replacements. You can't tell the difference, no scratches on them at all.
    And for the most part, they work very well.
    08-01-10 04:26 PM
    The phones whether new/refurbed should be covered by Assurion otherwise why pay the $7.99 for extended coverage.
    I was having problems with my 9630 and they sent me a certified like-new 9630 as a replacement. One major, and you will think it is also is that they sent me one with a loose trackball. Meaning it goes down and I accidently press the escape button instead. I just upgraded to a Bold 9650 which I will receive by Tuesday. So my suggestion is this Before you activate any phone(refurbed/new) do a quick visual/physical inspection.

DJ
    08-02-10 09:14 AM
    Referbs basically go through and individualized tear down and rebuild, everything is tested along the way. They in many ways are better than new.
    08-02-10 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD