Ok..Here's my deal.

I've been a Palm user for 5 years and have never owned a BB, and therefore, not terribly familiar with them. I'm currently using a Centro, and believe it or not, there are some features on it that I feel like I can't live without. I'm currently debating between the Pre and the Tour and was hoping an expert here could answer a few very random questions for me.

I relaize the Tour hasn't been released, but from I've been reading, the OS will be similar to that of the Bold and Storm. So here goes...

1) I assume it'll have speed dials, meaning you can call someone by holding down a key, but can you also customize keys to launch applications and/or take you to a text message addressed to a specific contact?

2) Someone told me, and I'm hoping it's not true, that you can't use the trackball to click on a phone # and dial it...for example a phone # written in an email.

3) If I'm running off of my employer's BES and setup a personal email account on my device, such as Gmail, will my employer be able to view that or will the Gmail be running off of BIS. (sorry for all the elementary questions)

4) I saw a Curve users text messaging inbox and it didn't appear to be what i would consider "true" threaded messaging. While it kept a running conversation, all of the individual messages were listed in the inbox as opposed to one listing per contact. How will the Tour be setup?

5) If you receive an incoming call, how can you silence the phone without kicking the caller to voicemail?

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for helping me out!
    06-25-09 07:09 PM
    Ok..Here's my deal.

I've been a Palm user for 5 years and have never owned a BB, and therefore, *snip*
    3) If I'm running off of my employer's BES and setup a personal email account on my device, such as Gmail, will my employer be able to view that or will the Gmail be running off of BIS. (sorry for all the elementary questions)
    *snip*
    I'm actually really interested in that one as well. I kind of assume that I'd have to continue using the little mobile gmail page but was dreading that part of making the change over to BB from WinMo.
    06-25-09 07:13 PM
    1) I assume it'll have speed dials, meaning you can call someone by holding down a key, but can you also customize keys to launch applications and/or take you to a text message addressed to a specific contact?

i dont think you can do this

2) Someone told me, and I'm hoping it's not true, that you can't use the trackball to click on a phone # and dial it...for example a phone # written in an email.

thai is not true, this you can do, also to send emails.

no

4) I saw a Curve users text messaging inbox and it didn't appear to be what i would consider "true" threaded messaging. While it kept a running conversation, all of the individual messages were listed in the inbox as opposed to one listing per contact. How will the Tour be setup?

there is no threaded texting...yet, with os 5.0 and the new blackberry messenger you will have threaded sms

5) If you receive an incoming call, how can you silence the phone without kicking the caller to voicemail?

most phones allow you to depress the volume rocker on the side, BB's are no different
    06-25-09 07:18 PM
    1) I assume it'll have speed dials, meaning you can call someone by holding down a key, but can you also customize keys to launch applications and/or take you to a text message addressed to a specific contact? Not really but there are apps that can launch multiple applications

2) Someone told me, and I'm hoping it's not true, that you can't use the trackball to click on a phone # and dial it...for example a phone # written in an email. This does work

3) If I'm running off of my employer's BES and setup a personal email account on my device, such as Gmail, will my employer be able to view that or will the Gmail be running off of BIS. (sorry for all the elementary questions) Depends on the IT policy. This can be blocked completely, or they can force all your replies through the BES so it can be audited. Incoming messages cannot be read

4) I saw a Curve users text messaging inbox and it didn't appear to be what i would consider "true" threaded messaging. While it kept a running conversation, all of the individual messages were listed in the inbox as opposed to one listing per contact. How will the Tour be setup? Threaded SMS is coming, not available yet

5) If you receive an incoming call, how can you silence the phone without kicking the caller to voicemail? Touch the volume keys up or down

Here you go
    06-25-09 07:22 PM

most phones allow you to depress the volume rocker on the side, BB's are no different
    Thanks Teksu!

So if you receive a call, you can't hit any key, say a letter, to silence it. On my Centro, if my phone rings I can't hit any key to silence it and callers won't be kicked to voicemail unless I hit the "red" end button. But if you do have to hit the volume key on the BB, will it default to whatever ringer volume you had set once the caller hangs up or by hitting the volume key are you setting a new ring volume? I hope that makes sense.
    06-25-09 07:25 PM
    1) I assume it'll have speed dials, meaning you can call someone by holding down a key, but can you also customize keys to launch applications and/or take you to a text message addressed to a specific contact? Not really but there are apps that can launch multiple applications
    Thanks!

It does have speed dials though, right?
    06-25-09 07:30 PM
    Sorry...1 more question.

Will BB messenger work if one of the participants is international?
    06-25-09 07:37 PM
    In regards to #4, I have also seen a friends Curve and noticed in the messages (SMS) it just showed every message ingoing and outgoing all "mixed" together. Is this b/c of setting he has and are you able to organize them like a normal phone (inbox, sent, drafts, etc..)?? And what is "SMS threading". Thanks!!
    06-25-09 07:37 PM
    Sorry...1 more question.

Will BB messenger work if one of the participants is international?

bb messenger travels over data.. so anywhere in the world
    06-25-09 07:39 PM
    bb messenger travels over data.. so anywhere in the world
    Awesome! So as long as you have a data plan, it's included?
    06-25-09 07:40 PM
    Awesome! So as long as you have a data plan, it's included?
    Yup.............
    06-25-09 07:54 PM
    Thanks Teksu!

So if you receive a call, you can't hit any key, say a letter, to silence it. On my Centro, if my phone rings I can't hit any key to silence it and callers won't be kicked to voicemail unless I hit the "red" end button. But if you do have to hit the volume key on the BB, will it default to whatever ringer volume you had set once the caller hangs up or by hitting the volume key are you setting a new ring volume? I hope that makes sense.
    If you hit the volume button it will not change the ringer volume. The volume keys dont do that. You have to go into profiles to change the ringer volume.
    06-25-09 08:10 PM
    Do the numeric keys double as speed dials? or is there no way to have speed dials assigned to keys? for me this is very important, not a deal breaker but important
    06-26-09 12:45 AM
    This is GOOD INFO . Im too a Palm user now and is going to jump to BB. I had a lot of the same questions. You guys really are a huge help.
    06-26-09 12:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD