my dad told me today we are switching from t-mobile to verizon and I currently have an 8900. As upsetting as it is for me to leave my 8900 as i am in love with it i am excited to get the tour. I noticed on my moms verizon curve the applications and and set up is very different from how the t-mobile and at&t curve apps are set up...is it the same way with the tour? I also noticed that the verizon blackberries tend to run slower than other carriers...is this true too? thank you so much
    07-31-09 10:57 PM
    I don't know what you mean by 'slower', the VZW network is the fastest, in most cases in the U.S. AT&T just has more available throughout the world. But their signal is severely lacking.

I am not sure how the other carriers applications are set up but I would suspect that your 8900 will be somewhat similar to the Tour due to the design of the operating system. The Curve is completely different as it has an older OS, even though it is 4.5, what was done in 4.6 and above is significantly different. You could, possibly, just get your 8900 unlocked and see if VZW will hook it up if you're want to try that.
    07-31-09 11:18 PM
    nah verizon is the best and only network to go with. tho i would love tmobile prices.
    08-01-09 12:09 AM
    Grafixx, how would an unlocked 8900 be used on Verizon?

Verizon is cdma and the 8900 is a gsm only phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 12:16 AM
    my dad told me today we are switching from t-mobile to verizon and I currently have an 8900. As upsetting as it is for me to leave my 8900 as i am in love with it i am excited to get the tour. I noticed on my moms verizon curve the applications and and set up is very different from how the t-mobile and at&t curve apps are set up...is it the same way with the tour? I also noticed that the verizon blackberries tend to run slower than other carriers...is this true too? thank you so much
    I recently made the same switch. If you took the connectivity out of the equation the Tour and 8900 would be equals. You'll lose wifi but gain 3G everywhere, and that's a good trade. What I miss most is all the themes that are available for the 8900. The tour has no themes available until the next plazmic is released and some awesome people start cranking them out.

08-01-09 12:26 AM
    If you are comparing the 8900 with your mother's 8330 when you generalize that the gsm BBs are faster than cdma BBs, then that is hardly a fair comparison.

Of course the 8900 is faster. It has 1GB of RAM vs. 96MB of RAM on the 8330. It also has a faster processor.

08-01-09 12:33 AM
    Very true. The Tour will probably be faster than your 8900.

08-01-09 08:47 AM
    You will not be disappointed. The only thing you will miss is the WIFI... but the Evdo Rev A will provide all the speed you need.
    08-01-09 08:51 AM
    The BlackBerry Tour is a Beast! Get a good leash and a cage.

08-01-09 08:56 AM
    I would prefer the Tour over your 8900.

08-01-09 08:57 AM
    All blackberrys are setup the same way - they all have the same apps from RIM, there may be different ones that your carrier pushes to your phone, and the carrier themes are different causing different layouts, but in short, they are all the same regarding the apps on them from RIM. If there was an App from yuor previous carrier you can probably download it.
    08-01-09 03:02 PM
    all bb's run the same OS regardless of carriers (although carriers will add icons, wallpapers, etc..) therefore no bb should be "slower" on certain carriers than on others. you will like verizon, their coverage is awesome and their 3G is fast when you are in an area with good service. i have friends on other carriers and im surprised at how often they lose data/drop calls.
    08-01-09 03:12 PM
    I think you'll be very pleased with the Verizon Tour, the speeds are great for me, at least in upstate ny?
    08-01-09 03:15 PM
    Don't worry about the move you will def be happy with the tour and it will be faster than your old 8900
    08-01-09 06:42 PM
    A tour on the verizon network should offer you an eqyual, if not better experience than ur current 8900

08-01-09 07:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD