Plus, it features a battery-saving proximity sensor that shuts off the screen backlight as soon as you slide your Niagra/ Tour into place. The sensor also allows you to switch automatically to different notification settings (for ringing, vibration or both) based on whether your Niagra/ Tour is in or out of its case.

RIM OEM BlackBerry Synthetic Pocket - Merlot - HDW-23469-003 - Fommy.com

this is the only information i have found about a proximity sensor and the tour. i am assuming the proximity sensor could also be used to detect if your face on the phone during a call. it could even be used to determine whether your phone was in your pocket (maybe? with the help of a photo sensor?). anyway, does the tour have a proximity sensor?
    06-28-09 03:01 PM
    Plus, it features a battery-saving proximity sensor that shuts off the screen backlight as soon as you slide your Niagra/ Tour into place. The sensor also allows you to switch automatically to different notification settings (for ringing, vibration or both) based on whether your Niagra/ Tour is in or out of its case.

this is the only information i have found about a proximity sensor and the tour. i am assuming the proximity sensor could also be used to detect if your face on the phone during a call. it could even be used to determine whether your phone was in your pocket (maybe? with the help of a photo sensor?). anyway, does the tour have a proximity sensor?

because the tour is not a touch screen putting it to your face seems like a mute point..

but from what you posted here it sounds like a great idea..

I guess it will help out more people who don't have a case with a sleep magnet?

I personally didn't even understand why the device had one..

So by what you posted does this mean that the keys on the outside of the device will have different functions while in a case?
    06-28-09 03:06 PM

Are you sure you're not confusing this with the light sensor that the Curve, for example, has? It can sense if it is light or dark, and then adjusts the back light accordingly and turns on or off the keyboard and trackball lights.

I can see the need for a proximity sensor for a touchscreen, so that your cheek doesn't hang up on somebody while you're on a call, but I don't see the need on a Tour. Also, BB's have a sensor of sorts already that can tell when they're in a BB case so that different profiles can be set up, etc. Are you sure you're not confusing this as well?
    06-28-09 03:33 PM
    Im pretty sure it will, my 8130 had the magnet sensor. As far as the backlight turning off when you're talking on it, thats what the backlight time-out is for.
    06-28-09 03:53 PM
    You're confusing this with the magnet sensor that shuts your screen off on your phone. This is different from a proximity sensor.
    06-28-09 04:34 PM
    I did not view the page linked as a result I agree with the previous poster...

its for a case .. which means that said case probably includes a magnet which is what all blackberrys pretty much have..

but I did hear mention of a proximity sensor a few times..
    06-28-09 04:47 PM
    I have a new 8330 Curve and the slip case that came with it turns off the screen and unables the keyboard when it is placed fully into the case.

I tried various strengths of magnets near my 8330 and it did not turn off the screen.

Question: If I buy a holster case without the sleep mode funtion built in, can I add the funtion to the case and how does one do this?

Thanks!
    07-05-09 10:48 AM
    Question: If I buy a holster case without the sleep mode funtion built in, can I add the funtion to the case and how does one do this?

Thanks!
    I'm not sure...but why not just buy the official one from amazon or ebay? They're fairly cheap

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 12:25 PM
    because the tour is not a touch screen putting it to your face seems like a mute point..

but from what you posted here it sounds like a great idea..

I guess it will help out more people who don't have a case with a sleep magnet?

I personally didn't even understand why the device had one..

So by what you posted does this mean that the keys on the outside of the device will have different functions while in a case?
    its moot.

Hope you didn't say it like that in public..
    07-05-09 12:28 PM
    I'm not sure...but why not just buy the official one from amazon or ebay? They're fairly cheap

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I found one with all the features I liked but no sleep mode activation on the case. The official one has the sleep mode but not some of the other features I like. Thanks!
    07-05-09 12:42 PM

This is the same as every other BB and it is not a proximity sensor. It is a sleeper magnet that works with cases that have magnets in them. It does not have to be an OEM case as long as it states that it has the sleeper function built in. A proximity sensor a la the Iphone works when you bring the phone to your face. It will lock all functions so that there are no false presses on the screen by your face. No BB has this including the Storm which would actually be the only BB that would benefit from this feature
    07-05-09 12:49 PM
    I found one with all the features I liked but no sleep mode activation on the case. The official one has the sleep mode but not some of the other features I like. Thanks!
    You could do it but it would be a lot more work than good; you have to find out exactly where to put the magnet so that it would connect with the sensor in your blackberry at just the right place AND you would have to "implant" the magnet somewhere inside the case. The magnet shouldn't be too strong either....more work than just finding a good case with it already built in IMO.
    07-06-09 12:31 AM
    its moot.

Hope you didn't say it like that in public..

yes I am a terrible speller/grammar type person and I am well aware of that..
    07-06-09 01:21 AM
    its moot.
    MOOT? ON CRACKBERRY?
    07-06-09 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD