What is the proper way to "break-in" a new battery? one full charge and your set? is it ok to unplug mid-charge? and use the car charger? thanks
    07-24-09 10:46 PM
    I can't comment on BB batteries in particular, but my understanding is that rechargeable batteries' capacity is largely influenced by the first charge cycle. What I mean by that is that it's important to get a full, hot charge into the battery the first time, then cycle it down to as dead as you can get it, then fully charge it again. Short cycles can supposedly cause the battery to take on a "memory," and then not take a full charge. This has been my experience with NiCd batteries, as well as lead-acid batteries in vehicles. This is reportedly less true for NiMH batteries, which are commonly used in photo applications nowadays. The Tour uses a Lithium cell. I don't know how true it is for this type of battery.

That's all I got.
    07-24-09 10:52 PM
    Since it is lithium ion, there are no break in procedures. Most of your battery life issues stem with the battery level meter not properly being set on the phone which makes the phone think there is not much battery left when there is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 11:01 PM
    I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but my first full charge of my 9630 drained in very little time - it charged to 100% very quickly, then died very quickly. After that though, it took quite a while to get back to 100%, now the life is VERY good. I was very nervous at first since that first charge went in no time, but luckily the charge reading fixed itself up.
    07-24-09 11:22 PM
    I did a little search, and gatechraven is correct. SO, ignore my first post. You can get a fair amount of info if you Google "lithium ion battery care." HTH.
    07-24-09 11:24 PM
    use it like any other battery.
    07-24-09 11:28 PM
    Don't need to break it in and don't need to make it go through full cycles. Fully draining damages the battery. And Megaboz, my first charge on my pearl was like that. Don't know about my Tour since I bought it off of someone and they opened it and everything to unlock for me.

07-25-09 01:23 AM
    I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but my first full charge of my 9630 drained in very little time - it charged to 100% very quickly, then died very quickly. After that though, it took quite a while to get back to 100%, now the life is VERY good. I was very nervous at first since that first charge went in no time, but luckily the charge reading fixed itself up.
    Oddly enough
    , that's the same thing that i experienced. i called VZW to see about exchanging the battery but it just...got better. i'm getting about 12 hours with pretty heavy use now.

Strange. i wonder what happened exactly.

07-25-09 06:31 AM
    My first couple of days I couldn't make through five oclock with lite use. Now I can make it until bed time with heavy use with some juice left. It takes a few cycles before it you get full use out of it.
    07-25-09 08:45 AM
    Great info!

07-25-09 04:45 PM
    How to prolong lithium-based batteries

I still let mine charge like 12 hrs on the first charge though.
    08-13-09 03:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD