What will the processor be on the niagara? How can you compare it to let's say the bold?

Will it have 3g??

I just want it because of a faster processor...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 02:16 PM
    03-12-09 02:22 PM
    Not sure about the processor, everything right now is speculation til RIM or a carrier releases something concrete.

As far as 3G, if its CDMA, it will be 3G. All CDMA BlackBerry's since the Pearl have been 3G. EV-DO 1XEV is considered 3G, faster than GSM 3G may I add.
    03-13-09 05:14 AM
    Not sure about the processor, everything right now is speculation til RIM or a carrier releases something concrete.

As far as 3G, if its CDMA, it will be 3G. All CDMA BlackBerry's since the Pearl have been 3G. EV-DO 1XEV is considered 3G, faster than GSM 3G may I add.
    Technically HSPA is faster than EVDO. But like most things, its depends on coverage. They are basically neck and neck, but technically one is faster than the other and HSPA has the ability to be 7Kbps faster than EVDO.

03-13-09 06:43 AM
    Technically HSPA is faster than EVDO. But like most things, its depends on coverage. They are basically neck and neck, but technically one is faster than the other and HSPA has the ability to be 7Kbps faster than EVDO.

I think the coverage is key! I agree speedwise is comparable as is coverage quality. In most places you would probably be ok with ATT or VZW, and the devices offered might be your deciding factor. However there are many places where coveragewise 1 or better than the other. Do your homework folks and make an informed choice. Stop in the ATT & VZW stores and try out the devices.
    03-13-09 08:53 AM

Thanks for the correction. I was under the impression Rev0 was currently the fastest wireless technology.
    03-13-09 02:18 PM
    Lookin' good. 3G, Storm processor... I love it.
    03-14-09 09:15 AM
    Thanks for the correction. I was under the impression Rev0 was currently the fastest wireless technology.
    Even as far as EVDO goes, Rev. 0 isn't the fastest. Rev. A is much faster than Rev. 0, and Rev. B (yet to be implemented anywhere) is faster still.
    03-15-09 01:33 AM
    add to that the fact that EVDO rev A does not allow simultaneous voice and data transmission like HSPA does and IMHO we have a winner
    03-16-09 06:52 PM
    HSPA only allows simultaneous data and voice because it uses a different radio than EDGE. EVDO uses the same radio as 1xRTT; thus, if it's being used for voice it can't be used for data.

03-16-09 06:57 PM
    HSPA only allows simultaneous data and voice because it uses a different radio than EDGE. EVDO uses the same radio as 1xRTT; thus, if it's being used for voice it can't be used for data.

LMAO......no matter how you slice it or what slanted explanation you want to put on it, it is what i said it is
    EVDO cannot transmit voice and data simultaneously
    HSPA can transmit voice and data simultaneously
    end of story...
    i dont care if they do it all with mirrors..the end result is what matters to me..did somebody force VZW to adopt that technology?
    Last edited by giantfan30; 03-16-09 at 07:25 PM.
    03-16-09 07:17 PM
    so is this a revision A device or not? thats definitly a dealbreaker
    yes it is a revision A device
    03-20-09 08:36 AM
    So, does anyone know the actual physical size of the screen on the Niagara? We know the resolution is half-VGA, but how big of a screen does that get crammed into?

Is it a 2.0", 2.2", 2.5"...? Presumably you've had your hands on one Crucial... Any chance you could take a ruler or tape measure to one?
    03-20-09 08:45 AM
    How about wifi: do we have a concrete on it having wifi or not? It seems to be back and forth, yes and no, maybe or maybe not. Wasn't Verizon going to support wifi and Sprint not going to?
    (I get it that nothing is concrete until its released, but you get my question.)
    03-20-09 10:59 AM
    How about wifi: do we have a concrete on it having wifi or not? It seems to be back and forth, yes and no, maybe or maybe not. Wasn't Verizon going to support wifi and Sprint not going to?
    (I get it that nothing is concrete until its released, but you get my question.)
    If anything, it would probably be the other way around. On Verizon, you don't really need wifi... In the US at least. Abroad might be a whole other story. Sprint's network is considerably more spotty in its coverage and capacity, so they will be more likely to offer additional features to encourage people to stick with them.
    03-20-09 11:22 AM
    so far I been seeing all reports that it will NOT have wifi. As far as rev A, I think its obvious that it will be rev A for sure
    03-20-09 11:40 AM
    I think the coverage is key! I agree speedwise is comparable as is coverage quality. In most places you would probably be ok with ATT or VZW, and the devices offered might be your deciding factor. However there are many places where coveragewise 1 or better than the other. Do your homework folks and make an informed choice. Stop in the ATT & VZW stores and try out the devices.
    AT&T's 3g coverage doesn't even compare to Verizon's. By the time they catch up, Verizon will be on 4g with LTE. Speed is up to 1.5mbs on at&t 3g vs 1.4mbps on Verizon. Ill take the nationwide coverage of the .1 in speed.
    03-20-09 02:34 PM
    who cares about wifi.... my 8820 (wifi) and my 8830 (EVDO) my 8830 wins everytime same browser options with the caches cleared. i can understand for international free data roaming purposes but otherwise Wifi is a joke on the pooty blackberry processors they just cant handle it. same goes for the bold which is the speediest one of them all.
    03-20-09 08:45 PM
    AT&T's 3g coverage doesn't even compare to Verizon's. By the time they catch up, Verizon will be on 4g with LTE. Speed is up to 1.5mbs on at&t 3g vs 1.4mbps on Verizon. Ill take the nationwide coverage of the .1 in speed.
    This is totally mis-leading. Now as for me and the coverage I require, which is major cities, AT&T is perfect. I don't travel to rural areas so AT&T's 3G coverage is always great for me. Yes Verizon has more coverage in low population areas than AT&T, but in major cities they're basically the same. Secondly, both AT&T and Verizon are testing LTE. AT&T will have upgraded their 3G network to 7.2Mbit/s before Verizon rolls out LTE. This is a back and forth battle. The great thing is once LTE is fully implemented there will be NO MORE carrier wars!!! Which will be superb.
    03-20-09 09:15 PM
    This is totally mis-leading. Now as for me and the coverage I require, which is major cities, AT&T is perfect. I don't travel to rural areas so AT&T's 3G coverage is always great for me. Yes Verizon has more coverage in low population areas than AT&T, but in major cities they're basically the same. Secondly, both AT&T and Verizon are testing LTE. AT&T will have upgraded their 3G network to 7.2Mbit/s before Verizon rolls out LTE. This is a back and forth battle. The great thing is once LTE is fully implemented there will be NO MORE carrier wars!!! Which will be superb.
    Well I am 10 miles out of NYC and all my friends using AT&T have fairly bad reception and slow data..
    03-20-09 09:39 PM
    Until the NEXT technology is released, which will cause another battle. As long as people are researching, there will be new ways of transmitting data at a higher quality and faster rate.
    03-20-09 10:41 PM
    Well I am 10 miles out of NYC and all my friends using AT&T have fairly bad reception and slow data..
    a few of my co-workers that rock the jesus phone or bold have some type of problem dropping signal strength and calls when it comes to higher altitude places like Brentwood & Palisades. They have no problem whatsoever on flat land besides close to the Airports.
    03-21-09 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD