Hello, I have a BB Tour that I got from Verizon. Was layed off from my job, So I cancelled the contract after a year and a half into the contract.

I no longer want to go back into a contract with any carrier. My job industry is unstable and basically dont want to commit to a contract.

I have this BB tour I payed for and would like to use. Whats the sense in buying a new phone when I allready have a one?

So my question is...What are my options here? I am just looking for basic phone service, dont really care about the web, email, and all the things that make the BB great. Been there, done that.
    02-16-11 01:47 PM
    With what carriers are you looking to use it?

Verizon and AT&T will require a data plan, so you will have to look at other carriers if you don't want to have a data plan.

You could unlock it and use it on TMobile on prepaid without a data plan.
    You might also be able to get it flashed to Virgin Mobile.
    02-16-11 01:52 PM
    Sounds Like Verizon and AT&T are out of the question being that they require a data plan.

Virgin Mobile, flashing etc...Nahhh Just want to keep it simple.

TMobile huh? No required data plan and prepaid? Hmmm..Tell me more, I need to unlock my phone? Lets look....

Thanks for your help thus far.
    02-16-11 02:13 PM
    Yes, TMobile will allow BlackBerry devices to be active without a data plan (for now anyway). And they offer prepaid.

Note that you should check to see what coverage TMobile has in your area.

You will be using the GSM side of the device instead of the CDMA side. And you will only get 2G, but I'm guessing that won't matter if all you are using is voice.

Read this forum to learn about unlocking.
    BlackBerry Unlocking - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    willny1 likes this.
    02-16-11 02:49 PM
    I've read that Verizon phones can also be flashed to Cricket and Metro PCS, though I don't know anyone personally who's done it. If one of these providers has a shop in your area, you might want to visit and check it out. And, these carriers also offer full Blackberry plans that might be affordable on your new budget, if you want to use all of your phone's features instead of just voice.
    02-17-11 07:51 PM
    I am looking at Tmobile website and checking out their plans. I am very interested in the $30month/1500 minutes etc. plan. Only thing is, Its looking as if they are requiring me to purchase a phone, then activating it. Maybe I am missing something here?

Would like to use my tour 9630. Any suggestions? Trying to look and figure this out myself...lol
    02-18-11 03:55 PM
    Call them.
    02-18-11 04:35 PM
    it depends on if t Mobil is gsm or cdma; if its cdma your good i think but if its gsm it needs a sim card and verizon phones dont use that
    02-18-11 06:13 PM
    TMobile is a GSM carrier. The Tour can be unlocked and used on a GSM network.
    02-18-11 06:39 PM
    I use an 8310 when I visit the US about twice a year. My son gets me an AT&T GO Phone SIM card and I use that. I can use some data, Google Maps, etc. but no emails. Data this way is expensive but I do not have a monthly data plan. Anyway I only use data very occasionally from my phone whilst in the US.

The last time I did this was in Octiober 2010 so if things have changed since then, then my information is out of date.
    02-18-11 06:48 PM
    IF you can trade that Verizon Tour for a Sprint one you could look at Boost Mobile.
    03-04-11 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD