Hey I DAFS on this topic but haven't yet found an answer:

So I know how to select different sound profiles. But...

1) If I try to edit a profile, it seems to edit only the settings of one global sound profile. I go to Sound Profiles > Set Ring Tones/Alerts and edit the phone ringer volume from 7 to, say, 10. Then I switch the profile to "Medium" and go to "Set Ring Tones/Alerts" and it says 10. I go to loud, same thing, says 10. It's like each individual profile doesn't have any way of setting its individual properties.

2) So, if that's the case, what's the difference between "Normal" and "Medium" for instance. And if I change the globals settings to ring at 10 for the unknown sound profile whose settings I'm changing, then what's the difference between that and "Loud"??

Makes no sense to me.

I get the "Silence," "No Alerts" and "Vibrate." I understand what those do, and they don't seem configurable. I just don't understand Normal/Medium/Loud.

thx
    10-20-09 05:59 PM
    This issue is confusing and more so to those who had another BB before the Tour. Previously, you could edit the settings very individually.

If you want special settings, create a CUSTOM profile and setup things as you want - it still is not as custom as the prior versions but helps somewhat.
    10-20-09 08:00 PM
    The main differences in those profiles are its defaults.

Realistically, you could set all the values as far as volume on a "loud" profile the same as a "medium" profile and call it good but that defeats the purpose.

The key is setting the values to how you want and go with that. A lot of times, doing a "custom" profile works best because you can create all of your settings.
    10-20-09 08:04 PM
    The profiles are designed to work like this (theoretically): Set the sound profile to 'normal' and set the volume to 4 (which will your baseline default volume). Then, when you change the profile to 'medium', your volume will escalate to 7 and when you change to 'loud', it will escalate further to 10. The volume values are simply for illustrative purposes, but hopefully it makes the point.
    10-20-09 09:07 PM
    10-20-09 09:21 PM
    I had seen that, thanks, but it was still sort of unclear to me. It says nothing at all in the manual about it and I was wondering how people figured out the differences between Normal/medium/high. Those just seem totally weird to me.

Basically I only need high volume, vibrate-only, and totally silent. I can't think of any time I'd need soft rings because the rings are pretty soft even when set at 10.

So I set the "normal" profile to max and just don't use the medium or loud. Though this seems a little wasteful. Oh well.
    10-21-09 12:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD