seems like it is any app. an App will download and sometimes finish installing before crashing. and sometimes it will finish downloading but during the install process will die.

did these one at a time and got the same result:
    beejive
    gmail
    google maps
    blackberry appworld

thought it was google related until bb appworld killed it.

*edit* One thing i've seen on forums is a bad battery and others have said a new battery didn't help.
    Last edited by jjpark; 12-14-10 at 01:29 PM.
    12-14-10 01:26 PM
    okay...i am pretty sure it's the battery. the phone is unable to judge how much charge is left in the battery and goes from 90%-100% to 2% and now it's been stuck at "8%" for the last hour.

is there any way to reset the battery meter on this phone?
    12-15-10 02:58 AM
    okay...i am pretty sure it's the battery. the phone is unable to judge how much charge is left in the battery and goes from 90%-100% to 2% and now it's been stuck at "8%" for the last hour.

is there any way to reset the battery meter on this phone?
    Before you buy a new battery, try the trick of wedging it in tightly with a small piece fo paper. I had a digital camcorder and it would show the battery go down quickly and it was just a bad battery contact.
    12-15-10 04:11 PM
    I am simply asking most of you if you will reread my post on page 2 about the battery and it being loose to its contacts and just please be open minded.

Most I am reading here have this pinned to corrupt apps and with all the experience I have seen and know about especially discussing it with a Mod who has been on CB for a long time with over 8000 posts and this happened to him. It turned out to be what we figured it out to be and in a similar post on here almost everyone said they agreed about the battery.

You have nothing to lose instead of wiping your device and removing apps causing all kinds of defragmentation of files you are removing that makes up the apps.

The worst that can happen is you take out the paper you use to snug the battery which I suggest you use a business card because of the thickness and just cut it enough to wedge the side to push it closer to the contacts, then lay the rest cust to size on top of the battery and close it up. i hope you all will try this first and let us all know one way or another.

Thanks all and best of luck - Happy Holidays to everyone!

EDIT: Read this thread please...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/wh...estart-563600/
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 12-15-10 at 06:27 PM.
    12-15-10 06:21 PM
    luckily, i've got a friend with a spare 9530. Going to try the 9530 battery in the 9630 and vice versa to see if it's the battery or the phone.

will try the business card trick as well. hopefully all goes well and will have an extra BB to give to my gf.
    12-15-10 06:26 PM
    looks like the battery went bad. I don't know if it's "bad" per se, but seems like the storm and the tour cannot properly read how much battery is left. It can hold charge, (was at "8%" for ~14 hours with no cell connection. BB won't let it connect with battery that low) but phones can't tell how much energy is left.

maybe there is a way to fix this. but can at least buy a new battery. Hopefully this experience will help someone in the future.

If your tour is rebooting randomly, it's most likely the battery. Either loose or otherwise.
    12-15-10 07:40 PM
    Running 975 on a replacement tour. for a couple months now and just today I pulled it out of my pocket to see the red LED and it was rebooting. Waited and tried to check the forums and it rebooted suddenly again, then 2 more times. So far so good after about 15 mins. If this happens again I'm going to vzw at lunch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-10 12:23 PM
    check the battery. whether it's a loose connection or a dead battery. Went through 2 days of re-installing, downgrading, upgrading and restoring the OS and apps multiple times before finally fixing the problem with a new battery.
    12-30-10 12:57 AM
    Yea I was so frustrated for the longest time as I've literally done everything from downgrading, upgrading, running hybrid OS, no 3rd party apps, everything! I went out and bought a used tour and as a last ditch effort swapped my battery with the used tour and that seemed to solve the problem fml.
    12-30-10 02:55 AM
    You know this is kinda funny. I have a Bold 9650 (basically the same as my old Tour) running .975 and this same thing started on me Sunday. Wiped my Berry, re-installed .975, still the same. Bought a new battery, no help. Finally think I have pinpointed it to WeatherBug, we will see. Are you by any chance running WeatherBug?
    I've been running weatherbug for over a year and have not had a battery or rebooting issue. I've read where some people had the issue of the battery not fitting tight enough in position so the battery comes loose and the phone then reboots. They inserted a card they cut to size of the battery between the battery and the phone to make it fit tighter to ensure the contacts are always touching. That solved their rebooting issue. Don't know if that's a fix for you.
    01-05-11 09:33 AM
    I'm on my third tour - with different batteries - and I am still getting the random (white screen with numbers & info) rebooting problem. It is usually when I hold down the BB button (to change from one app to another, open up the menu in a program) but it was also last night when I held down the power button to turn it off it showed the white screen and started rebooting. If anyone has any ideas it would be great!!! I am running latest OS from Sprint and have gone to where I don't reload info using DM - Sprint tech transferred all contacts as to not transfer a 'bad file' I have a Sprint Tech calling me today between 3-5 to see if the problem is still happening. I'd rather not have to get another replacement tour... but what else is there for me to do???? TIA CB Friends!
    01-31-11 06:52 AM
    I had the same problem with the .1030 OS. I went back to the last STABLE OS .975 & have not had ANY reboot problems since.
    JB

Last edited by jbarbero; 01-31-11 at 07:48 AM.
    01-31-11 07:45 AM
    I went all the way back to .624 which was the most stable for me and have not had a single reboot. I was so happy relieved since I've tried just about everything on .1030 but nothing worked. I don't think I will ever upgrade anymore from now on. What a headache that was!

01-31-11 09:28 AM
    I went back to .624 and it did nothing for me. Spent $20 on a portable charger to use my phone while I'm out.
    01-31-11 03:16 PM
    My Tour started doing the same thing. I had not added or deleted anything from the phone, nor was it damaged in any way. I tried updating the software, re-registering on the network, etc- all to no avail. I called Verizon Tech Support and they had NO clue how to fix it. Today my replacement came in the mail.
    02-01-11 01:46 PM
    By the way just make sure the batter is 100% secure under the cover. Open up the back and wedge a piece of envelope paper between the battery and the shell wall. Make sure its tight to the touch but also be aware you want to remove the battery eventually.

Sometimes the batter is slightly loose and the + and - contacts loose connection, thus rebooting your BB.

02-02-11 12:55 PM
    running .975 and when i don't "place" the phone down on a table/desk it will reset. so i'm in the habit of making sure i put the phone down carefully so i don't cause a reset. thinking loose battery.
    02-03-11 01:01 PM
    If the back of the phone "where the battery is located" becomes very warm after the reboot, consider replacing the battery.

My BB use to reboot itself and drain the battery life to zero after reboot. I took it to a wireless store and the store agent noticed that my battery was not completely flat and it had a bubble on its backside. Since the battery has been replaced with a new one, the phone has not rebooted itself.
    01-20-12 09:41 PM
    I had the same issue. Turns out my [very old] battery was the problem. I bought a new battery and installed a hybrid on a .975 base. Never had a problem since.
    01-22-12 04:47 AM
    kevst3r, what OS are you running? When I 'upgraded' to 983 I had problems with numerous random reboots & reinstalled 975. No more random reboots.

How can I update my OS
    06-14-13 07:53 AM
    How can I update my OS
    You'll need Blackberry Desktop Manager and download the .975 OS to you PC. There are directions in one of the forums here.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx using TapaTalk 2
    Last edited by SoccerRef12; 07-23-13 at 07:16 PM.
    06-14-13 05:05 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD