My tour seems to to be put together rather sloppy. The screen plastic is not a tight fit with it's frame at the bottom where the Menu and other keys are, The space between the Menu keys and the each row of separation for the numbers and letters look like it has glue in the right light, and when the back light goes on you really see it. It would seem that this phone should be a tighter and better physically mgr like the 8830 in silver is. Does anyone else think so too? I have a week to return, so I would appreciate your impute. I do not care if I have a camera, so is the 8830 as good of a phone as the tour regardless of it's new speed?
    08-02-09 06:11 PM
    My impute would be to search and contribute to the myriad of other threads about the same "issues" you are having.

But QA seems to be an issue with RIM lately.
    08-02-09 06:28 PM
    08-02-09 06:48 PM
    The 8830 is not anywhere near as good as the Tour. If it's really not put together well, then I suggest you bring it back to the store and ask for a replacement. I have a feeling you're being a bit too critical, but it's up to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 06:50 PM
    I would take it back, seems like this device might not be for you. It obviously doesn't function very well.
    08-02-09 06:50 PM
    the op is not talking about the function...it's about the hardware build. and they are correct. the 8800 and 8330 were built as a more solid device, than the storm and tour...imho. the buttons are not as solid..gaps around the buttons/screen...light leak...

the tour performs much better....i just wish it was built a little better. and fyi...i have had 4 tours.
    08-02-09 07:23 PM
    Can I ask an OT question? WHy do I keep seeing people get four of some device? If you had problems with the first one, I can understand that. The second one you get has problems, why are you bringing it back and getting ANOTHER device? That really defeats logic. Can't you just return it and get something else?
    08-02-09 07:27 PM
    Can I ask an OT question? WHy do I keep seeing people get four of some device? If you had problems with the first one, I can understand that. The second one you get has problems, why are you bringing it back and getting ANOTHER device? That really defeats logic. Can't you just return it and get something else?
    Because there are folks, including in this short thread, who seem to have much better assembled Tours. So the OP is probably trying to find out if that is true from asking and maybe even getting one of those better Tours - if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again.

I, still a Tour outsider, am trying to figure out if the Tours IN GENERAL have signal problems or only certain units have signal problems. Reading the various threads has not really answered the question. Is it a global defect (weak antenna, poor processing of signal, something else) in the design or have some folks just gotten bum units. If it is not in general then folks should just keep turning them in until they find a good one. If in general, then yes, find a different phone altogether.

My 8830 works well and when I replace it, I would expect the next Blackberry (I hope) would work just as well. I would say the build on my 8830 is superb. I was not around when it was first released, so I don't know if there were cosmetic flaws or reception issues. I understand some bugs in the OS. But not wholesale bad battery covers. What did Rim do, use a plastic that sits around like wood and shrinks with age? It's molded after all - it should just fit. Screens should not ripple - at least, I don't think so.

Maybe the problem is that neither Rim nor Verizon (others) treat this like the $400 or $500 phone it purports to be because they sell them at a discount in the main. So quality control is out the window. But, since Verizon treats the purchaser as if this is an expensive phone with the early termination fees (to pay off the discount) then the phone is not and should not be a piece of garbage (and I don't know that it is but lots of physical complaints besides the software).

I am just Tour-ing the threads trying to get a handle on whether this will be my next phone or not. I want more memory more than much of the other add-ons but I would like a phone that does not muffle my call or creak or have a head phone jack that does not work. Hey, tweak the 8830 with more memory and offer that as a new device and I'm in.

Sorry, but yours was the reply I latched onto........
    08-02-09 10:13 PM
    Only complaint I have about mine is the stupid *** screen ripple. I'm not gonna bother getting a new on yet until all the defective ones have been bought. Ill wait a couple months. I think its unnaceptable for the screen to ripple.

08-02-09 10:23 PM
    Only complaint I have about mine is the stupid *** screen ripple. I'm not gonna bother getting a new on yet until all the defective ones have been bought. Ill wait a couple months. I think its unnaceptable for the screen to ripple.

I tinkered with my screws and pretty close to completely eliminating the screen ripple.
    08-02-09 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD