I attempted to perform the wireless software update but my Tour is absolutely frozen. It is not responding to the power button being held down, nor any other keys/buttons/combinations, except for the Alt + Shift + Del hard reset, which just causes the entire update to restart at 0%.

After several hours of letting the update's backup process run its course (all the while being plugged in to its charger), the screen and phone are now frozen, with the screen currently reading...

Overall Backup Progress: 99%
    Current Database: Messages: 100%
    Elapsed Time: 42:59

It has been stalled with this message for about five hours now.

What to do?

Thank you.
    11-30-09 11:54 PM
    This happened to me today I am not sure what you can do. So do not take my advice since I have not tested and stumbled across how to resolve my phone.

I posted this in another thread:

I came upon this accidentally I was trying to add songs on my device through the DM and an update to my software was available so I said why not and proceeded. All went smooth and 10 of the 12 steps were finished but either my DM or blackberry were frozen. I did a quick search and it told me to wait it out and the process could take up to an hour. So I waited an hour, which then turned to 2, which got me really steamed. I then came across another thread that said that the guy just unplugged his device, did a battery pull. Then the device would work fine. Boy was I wrong. When I did this, after the blackberry loaded I got an error called App or Error 23 reset. I then googled that and it turns out I screwed up the update process blah blah blah. So I seeked out how to fix this and came upon rl_cdmer and was advised to wipe my phone clean. Did that and turns out it wiped my OS too! ****! I then proceeded to follow the OP's advice on downloading and installing the OS v5.0.0.351. It worked! And it only took 7-10 minutes since my phone was already wiped clean. So there was no clutter and data to ruffle through. Luckily I backed up everything beforehand.

This did take me 2.5 hours but I had fun while being pissed off lol

If I were to do this again// I'd go these steps

-backup everything on DM
    -rl_cdmer wipe my entire phone
    -install latest OS
    -lastly, when phone is functioning correctly, restore

It should take 10-15 minutes, again I have not tested this, so try at your own risk. rl_cdmer in my opinion will make the install much faster. Instead of going through 45-60 minutes of torture!

=========================
    In turn I had to wipe my phone and download/install a new OS after unplugging usb after 2 hours and did a battery pull.
    Last edited by dicecube; 12-01-09 at 12:22 AM.
    12-01-09 12:05 AM
    pardon my ignorance, but how exactly do you do a desktop manager backup? i havent installed anything yet on my computer fyi.
    12-01-09 12:09 AM
    If you haven't installed the blackberry CD I would think you aren't able to backup through your desktop as far as I know. But again, I am new to BBs and I suggest you wait for a experienced person to help you.

Good luck with everything!
    12-01-09 12:20 AM
    Desktop Manager comes on the disk with the phone or can be downloaded from the Rim site or your carrier's BB site. It contains software to backup the phone and also to sync the contacts/calendar/memo with MS Outlook. It also loads new apps to the phone.
    12-01-09 12:20 AM
    this happened to me today i am not sure what you can do. So do not take my advice since i have not tested and stumbled across how to resolve my phone.

I posted this in another thread:

I came upon this accidentally i was trying to add songs on my device through the dm and an update to my software was available so i said why not and proceeded. All went smooth and 10 of the 12 steps were finished but either my dm or blackberry were frozen. I did a quick search and it told me to wait it out and the process could take up to an hour. So i waited an hour, which then turned to 2, which got me really steamed. I then came across another thread that said that the guy just unplugged his device, did a battery pull. Then the device would work fine. Boy was i wrong. When i did this, after the blackberry loaded i got an error called app or error 23 reset. I then googled that and it turns out i screwed up the update process blah blah blah. So i seeked out how to fix this and came upon rl_cdmer and was advised to wipe my phone clean. Did that and turns out it wiped my os too! ****! I then proceeded to follow the op's advice on downloading and installing the os v5.0.0.351. It worked! And it only took 7-10 minutes since my phone was already wiped clean. So there was no clutter and data to ruffle through. Luckily i backed up everything beforehand.

This did take me 2.5 hours but i had fun while being pissed off lol

if i were to do this again// i'd go these steps

-backup everything on dm
    -rl_cdmer wipe my entire phone
    -install latest os
    -lastly, when phone is functioning correctly, restore

it should take 10-15 minutes, again i have not tested this, so try at your own risk. Rl_cdmer in my opinion will make the install much faster. Instead of going through 45-60 minutes of torture!

=========================
    in turn i had to wipe my phone and download/install a new os after unplugging usb after 2 hours and did a battery pull.

how do you wipe your blackberry by a computer since my phone wont let me do anything please help me and thank you for your time..
    06-26-10 06:57 AM
    06-26-10 07:02 AM
    Sorry about your data loss. Let this be a lesson to everyone about the importance of backing up via DM on a frequent basis and before any software change.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-10 07:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD