Will having a 9630, or even Storm, give me better reception in areas that I currently don't get good reception with my Curve 8330? I'm wondering if the additional radios would be able to be utilized to give better reception??
    04-03-09 05:14 AM
    Does anyone know if having the multiple radios will possibly help my reception? I'm currently using an 8330 and get crappy service at home...............wifi wouldn't hurt either.....
    04-03-09 08:08 PM
    Does anyone know if having the multiple radios will possibly help my reception? I'm currently using an 8330 and get crappy service at home...............wifi wouldn't hurt either.....
    I'm not positive, but I think the multiple radios are all for different bands. The quad band gsm, cdma, etc... all serve different functions. I don't think there are redundant radios for the same band.

So while the 9630 may have better reception, it wouldn't be due to the number of radios. Are you sure you're not just in a weak signal area?
    04-03-09 10:00 PM
    I'm not positive, but I think the multiple radios are all for different bands. The quad band gsm, cdma, etc... all serve different functions. I don't think there are redundant radios for the same band.

So while the 9630 may have better reception, it wouldn't be due to the number of radios. Are you sure you're not just in a weak signal area?
    Yes, I am in a weak signal area for my current Curve 8330, but that only runs the standard radio, correct?
    I was just hoping that the multiple radios would improve my reception........but it looks like no?
    04-03-09 10:28 PM
    I see you have Verizon.. While in the USA your phone will only pick up CDMA (850, 1900) so it will be the same as your Corve.
    04-03-09 10:51 PM
    GSM reception is reported as excellent, as far as I know no one has reviewed a 9630 that was running on its CDMA radio so we dont have any information on that yet.
    04-04-09 01:17 PM
    GSM reception is reported as excellent, as far as I know no one has reviewed a 9630 that was running on its CDMA radio so we dont have any information on that yet.
    So with a phone like the 9630 or the Storm, can you switch the radio to GSM to see if the signal is better in certain areas? Or if it's a weak Verizon signal area, will it continue to be?
    I'm actually right off a main freeway, but for some reason a small 2 mile circle here has a crappy signal.
    04-04-09 01:29 PM
    So with a phone like the 9630 or the Storm, can you switch the radio to GSM to see if the signal is better in certain areas? Or if it's a weak Verizon signal area, will it continue to be?
    I'm actually right off a main freeway, but for some reason a small 2 mile circle here has a crappy signal.
    Assuming it is the same as other Global phones (8830 WE, and Storm 9530) it will have 3 options under Network Technology (Global = let it find the best signal, 1xEV (CDMA) and GSM/UMTS). In north America the GSM/UMTS will only pick up EDGE, and you will need to unlock the phone and get a SIM card for another carrier such as AT&T or TMobile. Network Selection Mode can be set to Automatic or Manual, so you can choose or let it choose for you.

EDIT: You wont be able to switch mid call though and if you are in GSM mode you will be calling from a different phone numbe and the other carrier's calling plan.
    04-04-09 10:36 PM
    Assuming it is the same as other Global phones (8830 WE, and Storm 9530) it will have 3 options under Network Technology (Global = let it find the best signal, 1xEV (CDMA) and GSM/UMTS). In north America the GSM/UMTS will only pick up EDGE, and you will need to unlock the phone and get a SIM card for another carrier such as AT&T or TMobile. Network Selection Mode can be set to Automatic or Manual, so you can choose or let it choose for you.

EDIT: You wont be able to switch mid call though and if you are in GSM mode you will be calling from a different phone numbe and the other carrier's calling plan.
    So, would I be able to try GSM at my home and see if it's better then what I currently get with my Curve.
    04-05-09 06:06 PM
    You could. But you would need a whole separate plan and number with a GSM carrier like AT&T or T-Mobile.
    04-05-09 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD