I am asking because I got mine in July and as of late I have been having to do the trick where you press down and roll the ball around for it to work right. Even then I have to do it 4-5 times a day which is kind of crazy IMO.

I'm basically trying to find out if its even worth getting a replacement. Any insight would be appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 01:57 PM
    I don't think the masses is as big as it was before, but not saying you could still have a problem....

That is what 1 yr warranty is for Swap it out if it really effects the device.
    10-19-09 02:00 PM
    You should not have to do any maintenance on the trackball to keep it working. Return it and get a "green dot" Tour (manufactured in September).
    10-19-09 02:03 PM
    Agreed. My current replacement has an excellent trackball.
    10-19-09 02:10 PM
    i got mine on the 28th of September, and Had trackball issues from the get go, got my first new warranty replacement on Saturday. It is so much nicer to have a trackball that works.
    10-19-09 02:30 PM
    Hmm I think I'll go by Verizon today. Anyone have opposite outcomes? Like bad replacements

10-19-09 02:31 PM
    I'm on day two if my Tour and all seems to be well so far trackball wise.

Battery drains kinda fast but that's another issue.

Oh, my battery door is noit loose either. And I have a green dot Tour.

10-19-09 02:44 PM
    Traded mine in 4 times bc of trackball issues, when the 4th one was taken out of the box you could just feel the difference. Not a green dot here but the manufacture date is early August which Sprint told me is when the problem was fixed (not believing everything Sprint says but had it for 3 weeks and there isn't any problems and loving it.

10-19-09 03:12 PM
    original i received was in July and it worked fine, then in sept the trackball went on it...couldn't take it anymore. Called Verizon and they sent me a new one late sept and havent had a problem at all.

get a replacement
    10-19-09 03:34 PM
    On on my third replacement due to this problem, and now the third one has developed the problem. I've cleaned the ball with alcohol and a Q-tip, and sprayed canned air in there, but I still have the issue. I'm sick of this.
    10-19-09 03:37 PM
    I would get it replace. My first one, purch Sept 18, 2009 had issues from day 1 & got a new return/exch immediately. The 2nd one worked much better.

As far as maintenance...all trackballs pick up your dead skin, oils, misc lint, etc. The trackball on this device has such a small opening between the ball and the outer ring that most of the lint, etc. should be eliminated.

I have several trackball mouse for my home computer and one laptop that end up collecting debris..and I scrape it off use alcohol swabs for the oil.

I would NOT recommend removing your trackball from your phone if you can get a store tech to do it for you. these are very hard to monkey with if you are not experienced.
    10-19-09 03:50 PM
    In a word, "yes" it is still a problem. I'm on my second tour which has the problem just like my first one did. Sprint tech said he would put the white Curve trackball in it to fix it. I told him I wanted a new Tour or a black trackball replacement. He gave me some BS about "RIM knows the black trackballs are defective and are telling us to replace them with Curve trackballs." He basically tried to guilt me into accepting the curve trackball fix, but I insisted in a replacement. Apparently I have to wait until Wednesday until a replacement comes in and even then it will be a refurbished unit. I'm pretty pissed off and the Tour and its build quality in general have definitely soured me on RIM in general.
    10-19-09 04:39 PM
    I got my first tour about three days after it was released. The trackball was horrendous, and I got it replaced a week later. I still have the second tour, and while the trackball wasn't perfect, it was better than what I had. Even now I still have minor issues, ones I can live with. It sounds like you are having as much trouble as i did, because i was also doing the pressing hard trick about 4 to 5 times a day. I say get a replacement. Your thumb will thank you.
    10-19-09 04:59 PM
    My second Tour is all set--not a single problem!
    10-19-09 04:59 PM
    I'm debating the same thing (either replace Tour or new Storm2), but the trackball issue isn't as critical as others have had it. I just have my sensitivity set to 90 and it's not a major problem anymore. Still a minor annoyance that I have to have it that high, but it's better now.

I dunno, we'll see.
    10-19-09 05:43 PM
    I am, and I'm getting tired of it. I'm going to go to the Verizon store soon and see if I can get a replacement.
    10-19-09 05:51 PM
    i had my tour replaced once and never had a single problem since. all the tours should be fine now cause i have friends who recently purchased and they have no problems.
    10-19-09 05:56 PM
    I'm still having issues, but this is my Tour from the first week of August ( second Tour actually) I'm waiting for my replacement to come in tomorrow, from Sprint as it got so bad I had to replace it, I hope the third one is a charm...so to speak!!

I am asking because I got mine in July and as of late I have been having to do the trick where you press down and roll the ball around for it to work right. Even then I have to do it 4-5 times a day which is kind of crazy IMO.

I'm basically trying to find out if its even worth getting a replacement. Any insight would be appreciated.

10-19-09 08:31 PM
    Well they are mailing me one. Apparently the first batch was all defective and now all of the new ones are fine as far as the trackball is concerned

10-19-09 08:38 PM
    i still have trackball issues my up and down work perfect but my left and right u have to feather or it wont work at all
    10-19-09 09:18 PM
    i still have trackball issues my up and down work perfect but my left and right u have to feather or it wont work at all
    Yep. That's the exact problem with my second Tour. First tour would barely go left and right at all. Second one has to be feathered -- 2 months down the road, I'm sick of it and requested a third Tour today.
    10-19-09 09:23 PM
    How do you know if you have a green dot Tour
    10-19-09 11:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD