One of the most useful and long trusted apps is now Tour compatible... PdaNet!

PdaNet -- Use your BlackBerry as a USB Modem

Currently version 1.20 requires OS 4.6 or above so it only works on the BlackBerry Tour, Storm or Bold phones. Please try out the software and make sure it works for you before making the purchase.
    For all those that held out on Tetherberry this is great news. I've been using PdaNet for years on my WinMo phone with no problems.
    08-02-09 06:04 AM
    I find Tetherberry works better for me than PDANet. I couldn't connect to my VPN and certain pages wouldn't render at all for with PDANet. Tetherberry works flawlessly with my VPN and since I got it at half-price when it was on sale, it was even cheaper than PDANet.
    08-02-09 08:35 AM
    One of the most useful and long trusted apps is now Tour compatible... PdaNet!

PdaNet -- Use your BlackBerry as a USB Modem

For all those that held out on Tetherberry this is great news. I've been using PdaNet for years on my WinMo phone with no problems.
    I've been putting off getting it for my Tour but it worked like a charm for my Q. I'll definitely be getting it now.
    08-02-09 08:56 AM
    I'm curious about tethering on BBs. I used this free tethering "hack" if you will that used my previous WinMo phone (Samsung Omnia) as a wifi router. I probably used it for light browsing/forums and such, 3 days a week or so. I know BBs don't have these free apps, but I hear people saying VZW catches people often that tether with Tetherberry w/o a tethering plan? I never incurred any additional charges with my WinMo phone, but this is the reason I'm afraid to d/l one of these tethering apps. Do they look at BB plans differently than regular smartphone plans? Thanks in advance.
    08-02-09 09:59 AM
    I find Tetherberry works better for me than PDANet. I couldn't connect to my VPN and certain pages wouldn't render at all for with PDANet. Tetherberry works flawlessly with my VPN and since I got it at half-price when it was on sale, it was even cheaper than PDANet.
    The biggest drawback to tetherberry is that you're running through their servers as a proxy. PdaNet is a direct connection, which many people consider a benefit.

Almost forgot... tetherberry does not work through bluetooth, while PdaNet does.
    08-02-09 10:00 AM
    WARNING:

There's a massive bug where google and bing do not work when tethering with PdaNet. There's some sort of content compression error that they acknowledges as a bug in the current version.

They don't have a new release planned to fix this issue for at least "a month or so"!

Buyer beware, if you insist on this software, use the trial a lot before purchasing so you know what you're getting in to.
    08-11-09 05:07 PM
    WARNING:

There's a massive bug where google and bing do not work when tethering with PdaNet. There's some sort of content compression error that they acknowledges as a bug in the current version.

They don't have a new release planned to fix this issue for at least "a month or so"!

Buyer beware, if you insist on this software, use the trial a lot before purchasing so you know what you're getting in to.
    Nice memo thanks joesworld.

Also thanks to the OP for posing that this is up and running. I dont personally use PDA net, i just have a dial up setup in XP and bluetooth for macbook but I sure many will & it adds competition for tetherberry to help drive prices down, again thanks OP.
    08-15-09 10:41 AM
    Nice memo thanks joesworld.

Also thanks to the OP for posing that this is up and running. I dont personally use PDA net, i just have a dial up setup in XP and bluetooth for macbook but I sure many will & it adds competition for tetherberry to help drive prices down, again thanks OP.
    I just don't get it. Why would people pay for Tetherberry or PdaNet, when you can tether trough a dial up connection via bluetooth modem/port for free? I paid for PdaNet so I could tether with Treo 755p, but with Tour it's not needed since dial up is super easy to setup.
    08-15-09 11:10 AM
    I just don't get it. Why would people pay for Tetherberry or PdaNet, when you can tether trough a dial up connection via bluetooth modem/port for free? I paid for PdaNet so I could tether with Treo 755p, but with Tour it's not needed since dial up is super easy to setup.
    Because in order to do this you need to pay your carrier for a tethering plan.
    08-15-09 11:17 AM
    Because in order to do this you need to pay your carrier for a tethering plan.
    That is just simply not true. You can tether through DUN without a tethering plan just as you would with the software solutions, with all of them you should still have a tethering plan. People like these programs because they are simple, not everyone feels comfortable setting DUN and internet sharing.

At any rate PDAnet still does not offer a 64bit compatible client so it is useless to me. I am using DUN but sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    08-15-09 12:48 PM
    That is just simply not true. You can tether through DUN without a tethering plan just as you would with the software solutions, with all of them you should still have a tethering plan. People like these programs because they are simple, not everyone feels comfortable setting DUN and internet sharing.
    Not quite. Remember there are different mobile providers, not just yours. Bell Mobility, for example, charges $15/mb for tethering data on a BB (tethering is not included in the monthly data plan, only on-device browsing). If you would pay those rates then good for you, but I'll stick to these programs.
    08-15-09 03:54 PM
    And VZW has a specific page they route you to if you DUN w/o a plan or software, so for VZW customers, its absolutely nessicary.
    I use tetherberry because it works with USB - but i would LOVE to use BT but I cant get the BT to work with my PDAnet trial.
    Anyone have any suggestions about how to get it to work?
    08-18-09 09:54 PM
    And VZW has a specific page they route you to if you DUN w/o a plan or software, so for VZW customers,
    What page is that? The one w/o the plan?
    08-26-09 01:29 PM
    The one that allows you to add the service to your account for a mear 29.99 a month
    08-26-09 07:25 PM
    I've been putting off getting it for my Tour but it worked like a charm for my Q. I'll definitely be getting it now.
    Yeah PDAnet was awesome on my Q!!!
    08-26-09 07:26 PM
    Not quite. Remember there are different mobile providers, not just yours. Bell Mobility, for example, charges $15/mb for tethering data on a BB (tethering is not included in the monthly data plan, only on-device browsing). If you would pay those rates then good for you, but I'll stick to these programs.
    Lots of us have unlimited data plans with Tour... and I've tethered for the past 2 years with Treo via DUN with not a peep from Sprint. In the discussions about TetherBerry and PDANet here and elsewhere the TOS of at least VZW and ATT and TMO were posted that made it clear that tethering without paying for a tethering plan violates your contract. They could take whatever action they take for any violation. Charge you extra, cut you off, whatever. The occasional use is not going to cause problems and won�t trigger carrier scrutiny, but there WILL be idiots out there torrenting and this may increase carrier scrutiny. I only use tethering for web browsing (no heavy downloading) when there is no available wifi.
    08-26-09 08:34 PM
    Lots of us have unlimited data plans with Tour... and I've tethered for the past 2 years with Treo via DUN with not a peep from Sprint.
    That's fine for your carriers, but again, not all are like that. Specifically, I received a bill for $40 for less than 3mb of data on Bell Mobility. Carrier scrutiny plays no factor in that small amount of tethering. Some carriers choose to detect any and all tethering and bill accordingly... which makes PdaNet as valuable as gold for those users.
    08-27-09 05:21 AM
    That's fine for your carriers, but again, not all are like that. Specifically, I received a bill for $40 for less than 3mb of data on Bell Mobility. Carrier scrutiny plays no factor in that small amount of tethering. Some carriers choose to detect any and all tethering and bill accordingly... which makes PdaNet as valuable as gold for those users.
    So, what you're saying is PdaNet use somehow prevents the carrier detect of the tether? (did not know that) If it does, then it is very valuable.
    08-27-09 08:32 AM
    So, what you're saying is PdaNet use somehow prevents the carrier detect of the tether? (did not know that) If it does, then it is very valuable.
    Yes, exactly. PdaNet (and Tetherberry) basically do something to how the data flows to make it look like on-device browsing instead of tethering. This is what makes it valuable to users with non-tether-friendly providers.
    08-27-09 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD