I'm a former Pearl owner. When I first got my Tour I was able to view each character as I typed it in password fields. Now I just get asterisks and invariably end up typing my passwords a bunch of times, with varying degrees of success. Since I use a combination of letters, numbers & characters, it's very frustrating. Is there a workaround? Sorry if this has been covered but I've spent a couple of hours going through threads trying to find an answer. I've got plenty more issues, but this one is the most annoying! Thanks.
    09-25-09 02:26 PM
    that's odd. I always get asterisks on my Pearl. But to the point, I'm confused, you don't know what your password is, or it's so confusing that you have to type it slowly and carefully to avoid typing it wrong?

You do know that after a certain amount of incorrect attempts, you will wipe your blackberry, right? right?

This can NOT end well. Change your password to something no one would guess, but much easier to type. problem solved.
    09-25-09 02:40 PM
    that's odd. I always get asterisks on my Pearl. But to the point, I'm confused, you don't know what your password is, or it's so confusing that you have to type it slowly and carefully to avoid typing it wrong?

You do know that after a certain amount of incorrect attempts, you will wipe your blackberry, right? right?

This can NOT end well. Change your password to something no one would guess, but much easier to type. problem solved.

I know what my passwords are and I'm not talking about the password I use for my phone. With the Tour (and with my old Pearl), as you enter characters, say, for a Gmail account, you are supposed to be able to view the actual character for a second before it changes to an asterisk. I'm assuming it was set up that way to avoid making mistakes and thus locking whatever account you're trying to access. However, all of a sudden that character-viewing feature is gone and all I ever see are asterisks. Does this make sense? I want that character-viewing option back.

Thanks!
    09-25-09 02:58 PM
    I don't recall 'revealed' characters while typing the password on my 8830 before the Tour. It was always **** I did the gmail thing for 3 weeks in June while in Europe and never saw my password.
    09-25-09 06:03 PM
    did you every figure out a fix for this? my storm2 had the quick pop-up's and my new 9650 w/os6 doesn't seam to have this feature.
    02-19-11 06:45 PM
    I had a 9630 and now have a 9650. The 9630 did not and the 9650 does not have the feature the OP described. Your Storm may have had it to help with typing on a touchscreen, but I've never heard of it on a keyboard device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-11 06:51 PM
    maybe try storing your passwords in the Password Keeper and just copy and paste.
    02-19-11 08:45 PM
    I had a Pearl 8130 and a Pearl 8230 and they both had this behavior but my 9630 does not. I think it is a feature of the compressed SureType keyboard. Since multiple letters share keys, it shows you the selected letter/number briefly before turning to an asterisk so you can make sure you made the correct choice for long passwords.

Personally, I use KeePass now, which I can run on my BlackBerry and I have a portable app version that I can run via USB on my PC. Both the BlackBerry version and the PC portable app use the same database so any changes in either pop up in the other and the passwords can be shown as asterisks or displayed. It's very handy.
    02-21-11 06:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD