Well, after being a loyal Palm Treo user for many years, I recently made the change to a BB Tour.

It's logical that I still miss my Treo since it never left my sight and I was a master of all it's operations. For those that are thinking about the change and love there Treo's, here are some comparisons.

Pros for the change

There is no doubt the Tour is sleeker and has a better look to it. The Treo's old style is clunky and brick-like

Graphics on the Tour - hands down much better with streaming news articles on the AP. A great plus.

Numerous applications are available

The "push" feature that the Treo uses is instantaneous versus the BB unless you pay $100 for the professional version.

Pros to keep your 755P

BB users might disagree, but navigation via the trackball is not as good as the Treo's - whatever you call it -

Access to your calendar and outlook are far simpler to use.

Typing on the Treo is much better than the Tour. To be fair, I am going to give it some more time but still think the rounded keys on the Treo are better.

All in all I am still in the trial stage and learning but so far the Tour is nice but not as impressive as I thought.

I'm sure i'll make some more entries as I get to know the Tour a little better. I am keeping an open mind but still miss my Treo
    08-14-09 08:11 PM
    i forgot palm even existed. plain and simple, palm sucks when compared to blackberrys in every way shape and form....nothign in my opinion is better on a palm at all
    08-14-09 08:14 PM
    i forgot palm even existed. plain and simple, palm sucks when compared to blackberrys in every way shape and form....nothign in my opinion is better on a palm at all
    I appreciate your opinion but the fact remains some items on the Treo are better. In the end, the tour will win since Palm switched to the Pre which is totally different than the Treo Palm OS platform.
    08-14-09 08:21 PM
    I feel that the lack of threaded text is a negative. I as well jumped from the 755p and yeah it was slower, uglier, chunkier, and lacked a lot of features the blackberries have, but you got to understand that the treo 755p is also a lot older than the tour. For the time it came out, it was a great phone for me. It had full qwerty, touchscreen (not really a plus), rugged, slim compared to other older generation palms, threaded text (huge plus in my opinion), and I abused that phone, and it still came back for more. It was rugged so I didn't have to worry about it getting scratched or scuffed, with my tour I cradle this thing like a little baby, because its beautiful and awesome to the touch. I wouldn't count palm out, pre may not have a good hardware start, but **** their os is impressive. My brother opted for the pre and to tell you the truth it is an impressive machine, he has none of the problems many people claimed and it was fast.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 09:21 PM
    I, too, left Palm after being with them from the start with the US Robotics Pilot. Lot of human factors excellence in the OS and physical interface, but it got prone to frequent crashes, and wasn't the best internet device. Hope Palm survives, and offers something a bit more robust than the Pre...that would be tempting.
    08-14-09 09:41 PM
    Coming from a Palm-->Treo LOVER, I can honestly say that after a years worth of Blackberry use, RIM has it hands down.

Sure the threaded text and calendar rocked on the 650-700-755, but it was just too out dated. Sure you could do a lot of things on the old palm but to be honest, the pathways were just so antiquated. The one thing I DO NOT MISS: frequent (as in DAILY, if not hourly) battery pulls.

RIM has MUCH more right that they do wrong. I will even go so far as to say that the browser is dated, however, compared to blazer.. it is light leagues ahead.

Really, what is it that you miss so dearly on such an antiquated phone? Heck, the Tour even out dates the Curve!!!
    08-14-09 10:13 PM
    I switched from a 755p 3 weeks ago after giving up on the Pre. A few thoughts:

- I agree that the Treo keyboard is better although I get better with the Tour's each day.
    - The 5 way is easier/faster than the trackball but not much
    - The calendar has grown on me and entries are very quick but what I really miss is Datebk6.
    - The Tour is extremely fast in launching/using apps and browsing
    - Lots of great software available
    - The Tour's multi-tasking is terrific. I used to think this was totally unnecessary on a smartphone...due to years of Palm device use no doubt. After just a few weeks of using the Tour I would never go back to a device without this feature.
    - The Tour is a completely different animal from the Treo and takes some getting used to. Once you learn some of the shortcuts and get a couple of apps that help the Tour work the way you want it to you'll be amazed at how fast you can get things done.
    - The Pre has great potential but its PIM apps are too weak for business use in my opinion.

Good luck with your trial.
    08-14-09 10:28 PM
    Another Treo 755p to BB convert, I don't miss the Treo much. The things my Tour can do, the Treo never could (or couldn't do nearly as well). EVDO Rev A, A2GP Bluetooth, device stability, better multimedia capabilities, usable browser, much better integrated push email, better form factor... I can go on and on. I am getting used to Tour's keyboard and don't miss the touch screen as much as I thought I would. There are Palm apps that I miss, but c'est la vie. I REALLY miss being able to force roam though.
    08-15-09 05:40 AM
    Really?? A comparison between the Palm Treo 755p and the Tour???
    08-15-09 07:34 AM
    Uh-huh. Despite what you may think, Treos are pretty versatile and there are tons of apps for the Palm Garnet OS.
    08-15-09 07:41 AM
    Coming from a Palm-->Treo LOVER, I can honestly say that after a years worth of Blackberry use, RIM has it hands down.

Sure the threaded text and calendar rocked on the 650-700-755, but it was just too out dated. Sure you could do a lot of things on the old palm but to be honest, the pathways were just so antiquated. The one thing I DO NOT MISS: frequent (as in DAILY, if not hourly) battery pulls.

RIM has MUCH more right that they do wrong. I will even go so far as to say that the browser is dated, however, compared to blazer.. it is light leagues ahead.

Really, what is it that you miss so dearly on such an antiquated phone? Heck, the Tour even out dates the Curve!!!
    I agree the Treo is outdated but sometimes new isn't always better. I also agree battery pulls were necessary on the 755p but I averaged only 2 or 3 times a week which is far too much anyway. So far I have had the Tour a little over a week and had 1 battery pull. By the way, the start up time for the Tour after a battery pull is atrocious. It equals all of the waiting time for the 2 or 3 times on the 755p.

What do I miss? I like the five way navigator much better than the trackball and I liked the touch screen. Also, typing long emails and txt messages is much better on the rounded keys of the 755p.

Again, the graphics of the Tour are hands down better along with it's capabilities but the Treo 755p is still a good phone and a good OS, contrary to Palm haters out there. It's too bad Palm wasn't able to improve its technology and graphics with the same OS.
    Last edited by whodathunkit; 08-15-09 at 09:18 AM.
    08-15-09 09:15 AM
    Besides the typing and the navigation pad vs the trackball their is really no other comparison.
    08-15-09 09:31 AM
    Besides the typing and the navigation pad vs the trackball their is really no other comparison.
    I would add ease of Outlook and potential durability. The Treo 755p is a workhorse but I want to be fair to the Tour and say it is working fine so far; however, its "dainty" design might not be as durable as the Treo's over time.
    08-15-09 09:46 AM
    Yep...while the Tour is definitely a better overall experience business users can still be very productive on the 755p. One thing I miss is full IMAP folder support that was in the 3rd party Treo email app: Chatter. The standard PIM applications on the Treo are also more versatile and robust but I have found BB 3rd party apps to get around any missing functionality.

Treos aged amazingly well considering how old the OS is.
    08-15-09 10:43 AM
    I just dropped my 755p too today and picked up the tour.... I really nned some work getting use to the tour ....

Does anyone know if the SMS texts can be in a conversation format like the BBM is ??? the 755 also had this and that is what I loved the most.
    08-15-09 03:54 PM
    I just dropped my 755p too today and picked up the tour.... I really nned some work getting use to the tour ....

Does anyone know if the SMS texts can be in a conversation format like the BBM is ??? the 755 also had this and that is what I loved the most.
    There is a definite learning curve but I picked it up pretty quick but am still learning.

I'd be interested to hear what you think coming from a 755p. I'm into my Tour for a little over a week and like it but still miss my Treo. The 5-way navigation on the Treo is better than the trackball and that's a BIG plus for the Treo along with the rounded keys.
    08-15-09 04:22 PM
    More comments:

Pros for Tour

Love the streaming news from AP and CBS news
    graphics, graphics, graphics - wow!

Pros for Treo

Had to type a long email today - keyboard is brutal - my thumbs felt arthritic and took my much longer due to the mistakes. Miss those rounded keys

I used to hate the battery life of my 755p but it seems no better or worse than my Tour - a push on that issue.
    08-16-09 08:12 PM
    Long time Palm user here from it's inception. Last device was the 755p.

Owned the Tour for 3 weeks now and I agree with what has been said already about the Tour over the 755p.

Sadly, Palm had a huge dedicated base of users and blew it big time. No one wants to wait like two years for an OS update. And when they finally did one it addressed very few issues.

Palm won't be around that much longer. The proof is just compare Rim's stock price and Palm's stock price. The market is telling Palm it's over.

If a Treo user ever tried out a Tour for a week, they would never use a Palm device again. Spent many years with the Treo's (before the 755) annoying antenna sticking me while in my pocket. Once the Tour's in your pocket you actually forget it's even in there. On form factor alone, the Tour wins hands down.
    Last edited by expidia; 08-16-09 at 09:03 PM.
    08-16-09 09:01 PM
    WOOOW, are you serious! I have also been a TREO user for years and this Tour is my first BB, ONLY because the PRE sucked! Software wise the TREO is killing the BB. Shortcuts make it waaay easier and navigating this trackball is not the best by far..

There are some features that are better and vice versa but really, BBM is the only thing keeping me with the BB for now.

The Treo 755p was nice, if they would have just made the screen bigger and the device thinner, it would have been better than that poorly put together Pre
    08-17-09 08:48 AM
    There is a definite learning curve but I picked it up pretty quick but am still learning.

I'd be interested to hear what you think coming from a 755p. I'm into my Tour for a little over a week and like it but still miss my Treo. The 5-way navigation on the Treo is better than the trackball and that's a BIG plus for the Treo along with the rounded keys.
    I agree, still missing my Treo as well.. the keyboard was put together better, use to love the key only for (.) now I have to hit space two times to make a period or Alt + M..
    08-17-09 08:51 AM
    I feel that the lack of threaded text is a negative.
    I agree, I don't think there's an excuse for lack of Threaded SMS on a smart phone in this day and age. When I had the Treo 700wx I installed the hack to do it. That was way over TWO years ago. Why the **** hasn't RIM figured out anything better than the lame ad-hoc solution they have now is beyond me.

I mean the BlackBerry Facebook app threads it's messages, even when you have it set to appear in the Inbox. Come on RIM, fix this lame flaw already. Such a simple fix.
    08-17-09 09:00 AM
    Are you really saying that something old can't be more useful than something new???

Anyway, I also switched from Palm to BB recently. I owned the 700p and then the Centro, before buying the Tour. I consider it an upgrade, but there are several things I miss about the Palm devices:

1. Threaded messaging, as already mentioned

2. Touch screen input

3. Dialing by first & last name combo (i.e. "MJO" pulls up "Mark Jones")

4. Integrated phone and contacts apps (on BB, these are separate, and you cannot do certain operations in both, such as editing contacts in the phone app)

Still, there are lots of things I like better about the Tour, so I'm glad I made the switch. I just wish RIM would start copying some of those features!
    08-17-09 10:00 AM
    Treo's...seriously? I didn't know people still used them.

Hands down worst smartphone. Disgusting OS, horrible interface, clunky devices. I'm so glad they are extinct.

Blackberries and Treo's arent even in the same league. It's like comparing a Lexus to a Toyota.
    08-17-09 10:54 AM
    so I had my tour for a few days now and Im loving it.
    08-17-09 05:26 PM
    Treo's...seriously? I didn't know people still used them.

Hands down worst smartphone. Disgusting OS, horrible interface, clunky devices. I'm so glad they are extinct.

Blackberries and Treo's arent even in the same league. It's like comparing a Lexus to a Toyota.
    To each his own. Actually, Treo's are still very productive devices. As old as Palm OS is there are a few areas where, IMHO, it is better than anything else on the market.

We all need to use what is best for us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 06:42 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD