I guess this is to anyone who has tried the Tour and or the Palm Pre. After spending some time on the Pre forums looks like they are having similar issues with device build quality and OS as we did with the Storm. So my dilema is to jump to the Tour when it comes out and hope that RIM got it right straight out of the gate or wait tilll Pre comes to Verizon and see if the issues are worked out by then. Either way the Storm is going bye bye just not going to make another mistake and get a half baked phone. For what it is worth the progress made with the update has given me enough confidence in RIM to consider another BB. Prior to that I was done with them as the Storm was my first and it hasn't been a smooth ride. Any thoughts appreciated.
    06-26-09 10:01 AM
    I guess this is to anyone who has tried the Tour and or the Palm Pre. After spending some time on the Pre forums looks like they are having similar issues with device build quality and OS as we did with the Storm. So my dilema is to jump to the Tour when it comes out and hope that RIM got it right straight out of the gate or wait tilll Pre comes to Verizon and see if the issues are worked out by then. Either way the Storm is going bye bye just not going to make another mistake and get a half baked phone. For what it is worth the progress made with the update has given me enough confidence in RIM to consider another BB. Prior to that I was done with them as the Storm was my first and it hasn't been a smooth ride. Any thoughts appreciated.
    You have to remember the Pre and also the Storm were both brand new platforms. Lots of bugs and kinks to work out. The Tour is a tried and proven platform. It is basically the same OS as some of the other phones that have been out, and then the hardware is similar to the Bold and Curve. I really don't think you are going to have Pre like issues with a Tour. No way.
    06-26-09 10:04 AM
    Yeah don't judge on the storm that was a FAIL. It was released waay before it should have been. I haven't had much time on the pre. My friend is a rep at sprint and he had the pre home with him to learn and mess with. I checked it out then.. The OS seemed stable but I only spent 30mins messing with it and not really daily use. I think the tour will be solid device. Even the pre release versions have been getting good reviews.
    06-26-09 10:07 AM
    The tour is a very stable device.. very. The pre when and if it hits verizon will be more mature and sure the build issues (sharp keyboard and os bugs) will be corrected. Palm has done two os updates and appears to be motivated to improve the platform. You should be confident in getting the tour if you want a bb..
    06-26-09 10:09 AM
    I bought the Pre on opening day from a Sprint store. I had been anticipating it just as much as I was this phone. I was coming from an 8130 (pearl). I was going to keep it a month for evaluation, but I could only make it 2 weeks before I returned it out of frustration.

It is an interesting question as to who exactly the Pre is aimed at, but it is definitely not a business user by a long shot. Think of it as the anti-blackberry. All the things that blackberry is great at - syncing quickly with everything; email; keyboard; appointments - the Pre sucks at. Keyboard only works for a select few, apps are sluggish; syncing with the "cloud" is laughable. Don't even try it in my opinion.

However, the things that blackberry is not strong on - browser; touchscreen; animated OS - the Pre is the best at. Blows the IPhone right out of the water.

So it just depends on what you use your phone for. If you are a social user it is the best phone out there. If you rely on some fundamental business uses for your phone (i.e. if you ever use your phone for work) then my suggestion is to steer clear of the Pre.

There are about 1000 people on PreCentral that would fight to the death to defend the Pre's ability to sync, but it's just not there. I for one am waiting until the magical day that OS supports all the basic functions that everyone is waiting for before I even think about moving to Web OS.

Coming from a BB, which I rely on, owning the Pre was a truly frustrating experience. I at one point literally considered (no joke) whether the satisfaction of stepping on it would be worth the $200 that I paid for it. It almost was. But I returned it instead.
    06-26-09 11:41 AM
    Pre has some kinks and little bugs the Storm was just a disaster. Palm actually did a really good job out of the gates with the Pre.
    06-26-09 12:05 PM
    I feel like as consumers we stop buying the marketing line that 1st gen devices are "beta" devices and should act as such. The Storm was apparently a disaster (I've never tried it) and that is inexcusable. So is the Pre at this point. The fact that it is ok as a first-gen device does not justify the price tag.
    06-26-09 12:13 PM
    Thanks for input guys and keep it coming. I am leaning toward the Tour only because of the "business" functions my main attraction to to Pre is that I really really liked the Palm calendar functions. IMO far better than BB I like the ability to color code etc. Unless I don't know how to do that with a BB LOL
    06-26-09 04:46 PM
    well just from BGR and I typically don't like everything on BGR as they are usually EXTREMELY critical..

it surprised me that they basically said the tour is the best BB they touched...

keep in mind that BGR are typically apple fanboys..

so its suprising yet they must have thought to give props when props are due..

Many people who already have the tour in there possession say its fantastic and there running pre release os'
    06-26-09 04:51 PM
    In terms of hardware issues, I'd venture that most of those will be sorted out already because the Tour form factor is not that significantly different from the Curve 8900, and also incorporates elements of the Storm (but not the ones that have caused trouble, like the touch screen).
    06-26-09 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD