First ever Blackberry user, can't say I like, love or hate, takes awhile just to figure out what all this thing does. The young man at Verizon recommended this site, which has been very helpful.
    The reason for the post today, I would like to have more than the six icon shortcuts on my front screen. I am looking for the ability to place several of the "shortcuts" on the front and be able to just scroll down and find, instead I am pushing the BB button, finding the download folder and searching in there for my news, weather, sports and several other things. Would like to have more options on the front page. Verizon guy had a Curve with all this, he told me to search for a different theme. Can anybody help?
    I know how some forums like to light up the newbies... remember what your Mother told you, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Oh, BTW.....what about security on this handheld device, anything available?

Thanks in andance,
    Steve
    08-30-09 10:47 AM
    Welcome. You have the most secure handheld available to the consumer no need for 3rd party stuff.

Read read and read some more you will learn over time.

Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 10:51 AM
    You can find a host of themes by checking out the theme section of the site, in the media corner. As far as security, check out Options->Password and set your options there.

08-30-09 10:53 AM
    08-30-09 10:55 AM
    Honestly you could get some great themes, but just purchase Quicklaunch. You will then be able to open any app from your homescreen. Best 4.99 you will spend.
    08-30-09 10:58 AM
    One of the most popular 3rd party applications for the Blackberry is Quicklaunch, a shortcut application that is very much like a PC start menu with the ability to add 26 shortcuts by a letter of the alphabet. Search these forums and you can easily find the debate between Quicklaunch and it's competitor, ShortcutMe. Both apps are $5 and allow you to shortcut nearly every application, file, web site, call, sms, email, that you want to do. The difference between the two is that ShortcutMe is more key-based, so it allows you to assign shortcuts to your convenience keys, trackbal clicks, and alernate keys, thus giving you considerably more shortcuts than 26 by a simple shortcut. Both apps give unlimited shortcuts by scrolling, but if you wanted to type a few letters or clicks, that's the difference between the two apps.

Most people like Quicklaunch because it's easy to use, looks & feels like a menu, fits themes very well, and runs very efficient. Many like ShortcutMe because you can assign many more fast shortcuts by multiple clicks. To each his own. Check them out in the app store. ShortcutMe has a free trial, Quicklaunch does not. And yet, Quicklaunch is in the Top 10 best selling apps. I can tell you that I use Quicklaunch to do practically everything on my device, from internet surfiing to calling to texting, etc. Be aware that some themes are hard-wired for Quicklaunch, which means that if you don't have Quicklaunch, you have an icon on your homescreen that does nothing.

Don't have an answer for security apps. Perhaps, another CB user can help you there.
    08-30-09 11:05 AM
    1 of the larger themes i use, and what i mean as larger is this it doesn't clutter the screen too much a Theme called 9630_10L_Cal.. its a free theme look in .Stuff for youre Blackberry Smartphone then scroll down to the bottom and click Blackberry Tour Themes there are tones of free themes and also some very inexpensive ones as well i hope this helps.......
    First ever Blackberry user, can't say I like, love or hate, takes awhile just to figure out what all this thing does. The young man at Verizon recommended this site, which has been very helpful.
    The reason for the post today, I would like to have more than the six icon shortcuts on my front screen. I am looking for the ability to place several of the "shortcuts" on the front and be able to just scroll down and find, instead I am pushing the BB button, finding the download folder and searching in there for my news, weather, sports and several other things. Would like to have more options on the front page. Verizon guy had a Curve with all this, he told me to search for a different theme. Can anybody help?
    I know how some forums like to light up the newbies... remember what your Mother told you, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Oh, BTW.....what about security on this handheld device, anything available?

Thanks in andance,
    Steve
    08-30-09 11:13 AM
    welcome...all I can say is play with your phone man. Hit the BB button/Menu button on everything and just look at the options...You can read on here all you want but trial and error is how I learned best...blackberry for 5 years now!
    08-30-09 11:14 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry and the Blackberry experience!

You have made the right choice by comming here for help and info about your new "toy".
    Read the boards frequently as new info, tips and tricks pop up all the time! Also, learn to use the search feature within Crackberry. The question you have has most likely been asked before and your answer is just a click away. :-)

Another vote for Quicklaunch here. I run the 3G Tour theme that you can find in the Theme section of these boards. It has a shortcut built into it that launches Quicklaunch. You can set up numerous shortcuts within that program which will decrease the amount of times you will have to venture from your home screen.

Good luck with your Tour. If you are anything like the rest of us you will be addicted in no time. :-)

08-30-09 11:50 AM
    Take it from an "old gal" you will love your blackberry. I gave in last year and let my daughter talk me into a blackberry.....She was right I love mine....I still consider myself a newbie but everything I know I learned from these people at crackberry. Dont bother spending $18 bucks on blackberry for dummies like I did....Crackberry is free and the people here know alot more than the authors....I had quick launch for about a year and then just 2 or 3 weeks ago I got my first theme....Now I find I dont use Quicklaunch all that much so it really is a personal preference. When you start sleeping with your blackberry you know your addicted....Good luck....
    08-30-09 12:02 PM
    welcome to the world of blackberry. I'd take a walk through the Blackberry 101 Lecture Series to get you started. Looks like you've gotten a few solutions to your quandry!
    08-30-09 12:31 PM
    You guys are great..........Looks as if I have stumbled into a whole new world! Good people and fun toys!
    08-30-09 01:17 PM
    Quicklaunch seems awesome.
    09-04-09 03:39 AM
    Do most folks have quicklaunch set on one of the convenience keys? What do you guys usually set your convenience keys for?
    09-04-09 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD