I've heard there is an official 5.0 OS out there for the Tour, but I can't find it on the Blackberry website nor is it on the Desktop Manager. How do I get it??? I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me out. Thanks
    01-22-10 04:59 PM
    Not official from or for Vzw yet. Not sure where to get it. Have you tried a search of the forums?
    01-22-10 05:04 PM
    Verizon hasn't released an official 5.0 OS yet... There are leaked versions that are available but nothing official through Verizon yet...

A simple forum search will help find some info on the hybrids/leaks. Try 5.0 leaks for tour and narrow it down from there.

Hope I answered your question...
    01-22-10 05:04 PM
    Ya I knew verizon had no official release yet but I heard there WAS an official 5.0?! pretty confusing but I found this link... Official OS 5.0.0.419 For The BlackBerry Tour 9630 From MTS Mobility [Operating System] | Operating System (os) | BlackBerry Rocks!

Would this work? if so how would I install it? and what do you guys think? Safe or no?
    01-22-10 05:12 PM
    Ya I knew verizon had no official release yet but I heard there WAS an official 5.0?! pretty confusing but I found this link... Official OS 5.0.0.419 For The BlackBerry Tour 9630 From MTS Mobility [Operating System] | Operating System (os) | BlackBerry Rocks!

Would this work? if so how would I install it? and what do you guys think? Safe or no?

Please refer to this forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/
    01-22-10 05:13 PM
    Yeah... I'm running it. Haven't had any problems with it myself. Give me a sec and I'll try and find a good guide if you've never upgraded before...
    While I look for one, feel free to read up on it and see what others think about it...
    01-22-10 05:16 PM
    Yeah... I'm running it. Haven't had any problems with it myself. Give me a sec and I'll try and find a good guide if you've never upgraded before...
    While I look for one, feel free to read up on it and see what others think about it...
    Awesome, thanks a lot man! I'm reading comments about right now
    01-22-10 05:17 PM
    I've got a question for anyone that has upgraded to a leaked or official 5.0 OS for the tour.

Has your battery life gotten better?

--> My sister has original 4.7 software and the battery dies out by 2:30 or 3pm (she's up for school by 7 or so)

She refuses to let me load a leaked OS...in her own words "I only want it on my phone if it's from verizon"

I tell her, "well good luck with your battery life sis"
    01-22-10 05:27 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/he...t-time-342461/

This is a good one... I used it to upgrade mine. Looks complicated but read through it first and download the programs. Then take it step by step.
    01-22-10 05:31 PM
    I've got a question for anyone that has upgraded to a leaked or official 5.0 OS for the tour.

--> My sister has original 4.7 software and the battery dies out by 2:30 or 3pm (she's up for school by 7 or so)

She refuses to let me load a leaked OS...in her own words "I only want it on my phone if it's from verizon"

I honestly have read mixed opinions concerning battery life. My personal experience has been an improvement. I am up early and use it consistently throughout the day. I don't seem to have to much of a problem. It's hard to say because it depends on what I'm using. Some days are more calls than others or more browsing than others. But overall I'd have to say that in my case I have seen an improvement.

Also, maybe look into a different battery? Or an extended battery?

I haven't done too much research into hybrids but I hear they can work wonders on different things including battery life...
    Last edited by ccrunner2787; 01-22-10 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added some extra info...
    01-22-10 05:36 PM
    I honestly have read mixed opinions concerning battery life. My personal experience has been an improvement. I am up early and use it consistently throughout the day. I don't seem to have to much of a problem. It's hard to say because it depends on what I'm using. Some days are more calls than others or more browsing than others. But overall I'd have to say that in my case I have seen an improvement.

Also, maybe look into a different battery? Or an extended battery?
    True, I actually just got back from the Verizon story and they replaced her battery for free.
    So we will now see if battery life gets better.

But I think I'm gonna just con her into leaving the phone with me for an hour
    01-22-10 05:38 PM
    True, I actually just got back from the Verizon story and they replaced her battery for free.
    So we will now see if battery life gets better.

But I think I'm gonna just con her into leaving the phone with me for an hour
    haha... sounds good to me.
    01-22-10 05:39 PM
    Thanks ccrunner. BTW I clicked that link that pasted and it takes me to the blackberry website... and gives me this: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...96DBCC52.node1

5.0.0.674?!
    01-22-10 06:14 PM
    Thanks ccrunner. BTW I clicked that link that pasted and it takes me to the blackberry website... and gives me this: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...96DBCC52.node1

5.0.0.674?!
    .674 is the platnum number
    01-22-10 06:16 PM
    .674 is the platnum number
    What does that mean??
    01-22-10 06:16 PM
    What does that mean??
    its just part of .419 not exactly sure how that number comes into play, but its all part of .419
    01-22-10 06:18 PM
    01-22-10 06:18 PM

I'm running the MTS 5.0.0.419 release, and things seem to be running a lot quicker than under the original 4.7. Battery life isn't all that great for me yet, but I have only been running it about 24 hours now. Besides, I work in an area with terrible reception, constantly toggling between no service to 2 bars, and from 1XEV to 1X - and have heard that conditions like these can really kill battery life.

If she only wants an OS that has been released by Verizon, she may be waiting a while.
    01-22-10 06:19 PM
    its just part of .419 not exactly sure how that number comes into play, but its all part of .419
    Oh ok got it, thanks. If I follow the process thru that link with filling out all those information fields, will it be an easy process from getting on my Tour thru Desktop manager?
    01-22-10 06:24 PM
    It means nothing is as it seems in the BB/Rim world. They give the entire UPGRADE a number but if you look at the site and details, it shows the xxx.419 and even some other sub-numbers.

That is the one.

Actually, here's what I posted the other day on the details:

Package Version: 5.0.0.674
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 5.0.0.419
    * Software Platform: 4.2.0.179
    * File name: 9630AMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel674_PL4.2.0.179_A5.0.0.419_MT S_Mobility.exe
    * File size: 100.96MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.
    Last edited by F2; 01-22-10 at 06:52 PM.
    01-22-10 06:49 PM
    Help! I downloaded that OS off of the blackberry website (the link I posted earlier) I did the installation wizard B.S... then once I complete that it says click Finish to close... and then what do I do after that to get it on my phone?!?!?!
    01-22-10 08:24 PM
    I'm at work and can't give you a very good walkthrough. You can use the guide I posted in a link earlier. That should help. Also, look for other guides for updating an OS. They may be able to explain things better...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-10 09:04 PM
    I'm at work and can't give you a very good walkthrough. You can use the guide I posted in a link earlier. That should help. Also, look for other guides for updating an OS. They may be able to explain things better...

Alright man no prob. I'm just confused on how to get it from my downloads folder into desktop manager or just on my phone period...frustrating. I'll check out that link
    01-22-10 09:10 PM
    I wanna say you're off to a good start. You've got the OS. So the simplified version of what you need to do is use BBSAK (Blackberry Swiss Army Knife) to back up everything on your berry now. And then wipe it clean using BBSAK. Then use the desktop manager to load the new OS onto your berry.

That's the gist of the thing... But there are a few intricate details to follow. The guides found here should be able to give you step by step directions on how to make sure it loads smoothly and you don't lose things like your contacts and apps. Take it slow and read through things. Keep us updated... I'll check back as much as I can.

01-22-10 09:22 PM
    I just plugged mine in today and it updated to OS five, being on Sasktel in Canada I did not see that coming. (it's still 4.7 on their website)

D
    01-22-10 09:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD