Officially ANNOUNCED!!!

Update!! Check out the "official"? 9630 Tour User Guide!

Hello Fellow Crackberrians!

I’m writing this thread in attempt to compile all of the “facts” that we have on the BlackBerry Niagara/Tour 9630. The goal of this thread is to create a centralized place for people to come and view everything we know “for sure” about this phone, with the hope of saving time of people posting redundant threads and forcing other people to link the 5 other threads where the question has already been answered.

Each of my FAQs will be answered with a link showing where this information is from, and I will try to make sure that every source is either CX, KB, or someone who has come out showing that they have a pre-release device, in attempt to make this thread as “factual” as possible. Remember, none of this is official, but for those of us out there that want to know everything they can about a device at any point in time, this thread is for you! Certain FAQs will also include a little extra bit of speculation/information in italics, so that if you do not want to make the jump to the source, you can read the “jist” of the reasoning within the thread.

Disclaimer #1: If anyone finds any misinformation, mislinks, or anything wrong in the thread, please send me a PM or reply to the thread citing where the correct information can be found so I can update the thread. I am not meaning to say I am perfect and know everything about this device, so please point out any errors – I don’t want to spread the wrong information around.

Disclaimer #2: Being from the states, I haven’t paid attention to non-US news/rumors about this, so stuff on their release dates/carrier will not be in here. I apologize for that – if someone would like to contribute a non-US portion of this FAQ; PM me or respond to the thread.

Without further adieu – I bring you the BlackBerry 9630 FAQ!

----
    1. What?
    The BlackBerry 9630. Originally codenamed the Niagara, will be released as the Tour. Source.

2. Who?
    CDMA carriers. Verizon will be the first in the states, with Sprint following sometime after. Source. Sprint not far behind?

3. When?
    This is where we have the least “facts,” but currently we have been pointed to the week of July 13th. Source. UPDATE! Much stronger confirmation that July 13th is the plan, should nothing go wrong. Click!

4. How?
    Now this is entirely speculation, but there is an entire thread asking just this – How Will Verizon Roll it Out? You can check out that thread if you want to see what others think what will happen as far as advertising goes with the release of this device… few facts, but some fun speculation.

5. How much?
    More expensive than the Storm – it is Verizon’s flagship device, so it will have a flagship price! Source. Sounds like ~$299 (after any rebates) with a 2-year contract, but that’s just my guess off of CX’s post. BGR said $199.

6. What specs will the device have?
    113.5 X 63 X 14
    QWERTY Keyboard
    480x360 Screen
    256 MB Device Memory / 130 MB Dedicated Application Memory
    3.2MP Camera
    3G CDMA (EV-DO Rev.A)
    Qualcomm MSM7600
    Black Trackball
    aGPS
    Source. (2) (3)

7. And Operating System?
    This is slightly up in the air with 5.0 coming out within a similar timeframe as the device, but I believe the best assumption at the time being is that it will be released with 4.7, and then get updated to a 5.0 version once that is ready, like all other 4.6+ devices. Source. (yea i know - looking for a better one) Not sure on OS yet? (2) (3)

8. So is this the CDMA version of the Bold? Of the 8900?
    While looking at the specs/form factor, it seems to be a combination of the two devices. Since nothing is official, we don’t know if this means a 9030/8930 will ever exist, since this device could kill two birds with one stone for CDMA carriers. You can check out any of the available to make your own assumptions, but whatever the case may be, it is NOT a 9000 or an 8900.

9. 9630 is the biggest number we’ve seen on a BB! Is this the best BB yet?!
    CX has stated that this device is not meant to take over and reign supreme over the Bold. Source (2). Rather, this is supposed to be another nice device that can stand proudly next to it. There is heated debated about what is better (Source) between the two, but I can tell you this on a non-biased platform: Bold has WiFi and allows simultaneous voice and data – both of which the Tour does not provide (WiFi might still get thrown in there…but that’s just being hopeful). This puts the Bold ahead of the Tour for those individuals who need WiFi / simultaneous voice/data in their day-to-day BB usage. Regardless, it is still a device that many will be very happy with.

10. How is the web browsing? PLEASE TELL ME THEY MADE IT BETTER!
    The Tour will provide a much-improved web browsing experience. Source. RIM has been working on improving this, but unfortunately up to this point we have not yet seen a video showing off what is ready so far. However, we do know a few things – it runs super speedy on VZW’s 3G (though don’t expect to get faster results than on your home computer), and has greatly improved its handling of Javascript. Though, CX says Skyfire will be the solution to all of our BB browsing needs.

11. Other BlackBerries have had issues with getting dust under the screen – how’s the 9630?
    We're in the clear here! The 9630’s screen is just like the Bold – and no dust gets under the Bold’s screen. Source.

12. What’s the keyboard like?
    As you can see in Kevin’s Review, the keyboard is a smaller version of the Bold’s. It does not make the clicking sound like the curves do, and is overall a very nice QWERTY. BGR’s Review says it’s the best blackberry keyboard to date.

13. I was talking to a Verizon Wireless Rep and…
    Stop. Please. We do NOT need anymore "sources" like this. Thank you.

14. What if I’m on a GSM carrier, but I want this phone – can I still use it?
    Because this is a World Phone, you will be able to use it on GSM carriers, but because it was made as a CDMA device, you will only get EDGE internet speeds. Source. I say just keep your Bold if you’re on GSM!

15. CAN I HAS IT NOW?!?!
    There have been a few posts with links to ebay/craigslist offers for selling the Niagara/Tour. If you want to shell out the cash, and are good enough at avoiding the scams, you could probably get your hands on a pre-release device. However, keep in mind that you could very well have issues with that phone getting black-listed once the official ones are released, though it is possible for one to slip through the cracks and be ok. Source. Up to you!

16. What do I do until it comes out?
    Be patient! If you have a BlackBerry already, just wait it out. If you don’t have one, or don’t have a QWERTY and you can’t live without it – many have suggested getting a used 8330 to hold you over and get you used to the BlackBerry experience. It will ultimately be your call on this one. In the meantime, if you want some people to keep you company check out the 9630 Waiting Room! – we have couches and coffee, as well as a bunch of candy left over from the pi�ata we got for our Cinco de Mayo / WES party!
    ----

Well, that’s it for my FAQ. I hope I answered all of your questions. Again, if you notice anything I said wrong, or can think of another question that should be answered, send me a PM and I’ll get it updated.

Lots of Crackberry love!

-Cow

EDIT** Check out another (much shorter and more efficient) overview compiled on HOFO. Thanks jorGeorge!
    Last edited by Cowadin; 06-16-09 at 10:48 AM.
    05-10-09 09:15 PM
    Hello Fellow Crackberrians!

I�m writing this thread in attempt to compile all of the �facts� that we have on the BlackBerry Niagara/Tour 9630. The goal of this thread is to create a centralized place for people to come and view everything we know �for sure� about this phone, with the hope of saving time of people posting redundant threads and forcing other people to link the 5 other threads where the question has already been answered.

Each of my FAQs will be answered with a link showing where this information is from, and I will try to make sure that every source is either CX, KB, or someone who has come out showing that they have a pre-release device, in attempt to make this thread as �factual� as possible. Remember, none of this is official, but for those of us out there that want to know everything they can about a device at any point in time, this thread is for you! Certain FAQs will also include a little extra bit of speculation/information in italics, so that if you do not want to make the jump to the source, you can read the �jist� of the reasoning within the thread.

Disclaimer #1: If anyone finds any misinformation, mislinks, or anything wrong in the thread, please send me a PM or reply to the thread citing where the correct information can be found so I can update the thread. I am not meaning to say I am perfect and know everything about this device, so please point out any errors � I don�t want to spread the wrong information around.

Disclaimer #2: Being from the states, I haven�t paid attention to non-US news/rumors about this, so stuff on their release dates/carrier will not be in here. I apologize for that � if someone would like to contribute a non-US portion of this FAQ; PM me or respond to the thread.

Without further adieu � I bring you the BlackBerry 9630 FAQ!

----
    1. What?
    The BlackBerry 9630. Originally codenamed the Niagara, will be released as the Tour. Source.

2. Who?
    CDMA carriers. Verizon will be the first in the states, with Sprint following sometime after. Source. Sprint not far behind?

3. When?
    This is where we have the least �facts,� but currently we have been pointed to the week of July 13th. Source. Note, CX�s last update about his thoughts on the release date was August. Source.

4. How?
    Now this is entirely speculation, but there is an entire thread asking just this � How Will Verizon Roll it Out? You can check out that thread if you want to see what others think what will happen as far as advertising goes with the release of this device� few facts, but some fun speculation.

5. How much?
    More expensive than the Storm � it is Verizon�s flagship device, so it will have a flagship price! Source. Sounds like ~$299 (after any rebates) with a 2-year contract, but that�s just my guess off of CX�s post. BGR said $199.

6. What specs will the device have?
    113.5 X 63 X 14
    QWERTY Keyboard
    480x360 Screen
    1GB On-Board Memory
    3.2MP Camera
    3G CDMA (EV-DO Rev.A)
    More Memory than Bold
    Slower Processor than Bold
    Source. (2) Could use some help with more detail/�fact� here � anyone?

7. And Operating System?
    This is slightly up in the air with 5.0 coming out within a similar timeframe as the device, but I believe the best assumption at the time being is that it will be released with 4.7, and then get updated to a 5.0 version once that is ready, like all other 4.6+ devices. Source. (yea i know - looking for a better one) Not sure on OS yet? (2) (3)

8. So is this the CDMA version of the Bold? Of the 8900?
    While looking at the specs/form factor, it seems to be a combination of the two devices. Since nothing is official, we don�t know if this means a 9030/8930 will ever exist, since this device could kill two birds with one stone for CDMA carriers. You can check out any of the available to make your own assumptions, but whatever the case may be, it is NOT a 9000 or an 8900.

9. 9630 is the biggest number we�ve seen on a BB! Is this the best BB yet?!
    CX has stated that this device is not meant to take over and reign supreme over the Bold. Source (2). Rather, this is supposed to be another nice device that can stand proudly next to it. There is heated debated about what is better (Source) between the two, but I can tell you this on a non-biased platform: Bold has WiFi and allows simultaneous voice and data � both of which the Tour does not provide (WiFi might still get thrown in there�but that�s just being hopeful). This puts the Bold ahead of the Tour for those individuals who need WiFi / simultaneous voice/data in their day-to-day BB usage. Regardless, it is still a device that many will be very happy with.

10. How is the web browsing? PLEASE TELL ME THEY MADE IT BETTER!
    The Tour will provide a much-improved web browsing experience. Source. RIM has been working on improving this, but unfortunately up to this point we have not yet seen a video showing off what is ready so far. However, we do know a few things � it runs super speedy on VZW�s 3G (though don�t expect to get faster results than on your home computer), and has greatly improved its handling of Javascript. Though, CX says Skyfire will be the solution to all of our BB browsing needs.

11. Other BlackBerries have had issues with getting dust under the screen � how�s the 9630?
    We're in the clear here! The 9630�s screen is just like the Bold � and no dust gets under the Bold�s screen. Source.

12. What�s the keyboard like?
    As you can see in Kevin�s Review, the keyboard is a smaller version of the Bold�s. It does not make the clicking sound like the curves do, and is overall a very nice QWERTY. BGR�s Review says it�s the best blackberry keyboard to date.

13. I was talking to a Verizon Wireless Rep and�
    Stop. Please. We do NOT need anymore "sources" like this. Thank you.

14. What if I�m on a GSM carrier, but I want this phone � can I still use it?
    Because this is a World Phone, you will be able to use it on GSM carriers, but because it was made as a CDMA device, you will only get EDGE internet speeds. Source. I say just keep your Bold if you�re on GSM!

15. CAN I HAS IT NOW?!?!
    There have been a few posts with links to ebay/craigslist offers for selling the Niagara/Tour. If you want to shell out the cash, and are good enough at avoiding the scams, you could probably get your hands on a pre-release device. However, keep in mind that you could very well have issues with that phone getting black-listed once the official ones are released, though it is possible for one to slip through the cracks and be ok. Source. Up to you!

16. What do I do until it comes out?
    Be patient! If you have a BlackBerry already, just wait it out. If you don�t have one, or don�t have a QWERTY and you can�t live without it � many have suggested getting a used 8330 to hold you over and get you used to the BlackBerry experience. It will ultimately be your call on this one. In the meantime, if you want some people to keep you company check out the 9630 Waiting Room! � we have couches and coffee, as well as a bunch of candy left over from the pi�ata we got for our Cinco de Mayo / WES party!
    ----

Well, that�s it for my FAQ. I hope I answered all of your questions. Again, if you notice anything I said wrong, or can think of another question that should be answered, send me a PM and I�ll get it updated.

Lots of Crackberry love!

-Cow

this is a pretty good right up however from the looks of it it looks like it has pretty much storm internals so speeds similiar to a high grade storm os seems logical.. However it may be a bit faster as this is a keypad device which is more common.

As far as a price I would see retail being close to that of the current World Edition which sits at 519.00 no contract. Now they do subsidize the heck out of the world edition so this phone obviously wont be 99 bucks but to say 200 isn't out of the question so maybe you should change it to "estimated 199 - 299". I think its more logical that they would try and hit the 199 price point just based on the current economy. However that is simply my speculation.

nice right up it will be appreciated.
    05-10-09 09:28 PM
    thanks Cow
    05-10-09 09:45 PM
    NICE thread Cowadin. Although I'm not too sure about the 1GB onboard memory. The CB review says it won't have the 1GB built-in, and instead have 256MB device memory + MicroSD expandable slot.
    05-10-09 10:44 PM
    mmm gorgeous... i'm gonna wait very patiently... i hate patience
    05-10-09 10:50 PM
    NICE thread Cowadin. Although I'm not too sure about the 1GB onboard memory. The CB review says it won't have the 1GB built-in, and instead have 256MB device memory + MicroSD expandable slot.
    Agreed - it should say 256MB, not 1GB. You might also want to mention that the MicroSD slot will (should) support cards up to 32GB in size.

One thing on the OS side: while the Storm is running 4.7.0.XXX, IF the Tour is released without device OS 5.0.0.XXX, it will be running 4.7.1.XXX

Regarding the GSM carrier question section: outside of the US, the Tour will support 3G, it's only inside the US that it will be limited to EDGE. (CX discussed this somewhere a few days ago, I don't care to dig up the link right now)
    Obviously, being an EVDO Rev A device, it supports Verizon's and Sprint's 3G networks
    05-11-09 11:26 AM
    Thank you for pointing these things out -- I will do a little more research/fix/update shortly. (Monday's are crazy at work, less time to mess around on Crackberry ).

-Cow
    05-11-09 01:13 PM
    Thank you for pointing these things out -- I will do a little more research/fix/update shortly. (Monday's are crazy at work, less time to mess around on Crackberry ).

-Cow
    Here's my source:
    BlackBerry Tour 9630 Review - part II - Usage Impressions | CrackBerry.com

Memory - Memory is a bit of a hardware/software thing, so we'll cover it here. In our last review we said that the guts of the 9630 are basically that of the Storm. And that's true in the case of the processor and radio. One area that's different though is MEMORY. While the Bold and the Storm have 128 megs of device memory (for OS, apps, emails, browser cache to reside), the BlackBerry 9630 takes after the Curve 8900 and offers double the memory. Instead of having 30 - 45 megs of free space for apps like the Storm has by default, the 9630 has roughly 130 megs free. More memory is always better!

While the 9630 has double the app memory of the Storm, it does not have the 1 gig of built-in device memory for ringtones, movies, etc. No big deal though...that's what memory cards are for.
    05-11-09 03:21 PM
    Great thread Cow, I have something similar over on HOFO. You can click the link in my signature to check it out. I also have some sources listed there that I think you could add to your original post.
    05-11-09 04:56 PM
    Great review. Thanks for taking the time to compile all the info.
    05-12-09 11:38 AM
    Why is that 130MB app memory there? It should be just 256MB device memory. The 130MB we saw on Kevin's review picture was just the file free.
    05-12-09 04:59 PM
    Dont confuse device memory with storage memory. i.e. Storms device memory is 128 to run apps. Its storage is 1GB.
    05-12-09 07:52 PM
    Dont confuse device memory with storage memory. i.e. Storms device memory is 128 to run apps. Its storage is 1GB.

the device memory on the tour is the app memory the full memory on board is for apps

anything else will be on the cards..
    05-12-09 07:59 PM
    the device memory on the tour is the app memory the full memory on board is for apps

anything else will be on the cards..
    I know. I am just saying that some people are kinda inter-mixing the two.
    05-12-09 08:02 PM
    ok ok wait, I need clarification now... will the increase on the tour be for storage of apps or will it be like RAM on a computer meaning it allows more apps to run together???

I thought the upgrade was in the storage for apps department...
    05-12-09 10:43 PM
    RM, I think its like RAM on a computer. If its like my 8900 anyways, I usually run over 120MB file free on that bad boy. Gives you a different perspective on downloading apps when you have that much to play with
    05-12-09 11:14 PM
    I think total device memory is used for all three purposes, i.e. apps, storage, and 'RAM'. And of course, you can expand storage memory with a MicroSD card.
    05-12-09 11:30 PM
    As far as this whole memory thing goes -- i personally have no idea how it is divided up or works; most of the specs on bb's i don't even know what's what (same goes for processor) and i just copy/pasted from what i found.

clearly we have some discrepancies/uncertainties when it comes to memory -- if/when we get a more solid bit of information i will update it on the FAQ. for now let's agree to disagree

-Cow
    05-13-09 01:30 AM
    RM, I think its like RAM on a computer. If its like my 8900 anyways, I usually run over 120MB file free on that bad boy. Gives you a different perspective on downloading apps when you have that much to play with
    HOLY! yea, I hover btwn 5 and 20mb file free depending on how long I go without a battery pull and what I leave open at the same time. So I guess u can say I penny pinch when it comes to apps lol
    05-13-09 07:47 AM
    I think total device memory is used for all three purposes, i.e. apps, storage, and 'RAM'. And of course, you can expand storage memory with a MicroSD card.
    yea, thats what I was thinking as well
    05-13-09 07:48 AM
    yupz the extra memory will be nice I sit at about 23 mb free with a bunch of apps installed on my storm but there is a ton more I want to install that I just feel will bring me to low
    05-14-09 02:57 PM
    Bull****, the memory is 128 MB... I have one.
    05-15-09 12:35 AM
    Bull****, the memory is 128 MB... I have one.
    picture proof please, mr. 1 count.

(no offense.. but common now )
    05-15-09 12:36 AM
    picture proof please, mr. 1 count.

(no offense.. but common now )
    I dont know which one the guy is referring to, but the breakdown per the testers for the Tour -> 256MB Device Memory/RAM

Storm -> 128MB Device Memory/RAM

How much is FREE is a TOTALLY different story. Just cause you have 128 doesnt mean you have 128 available.
    05-15-09 07:57 PM
    Hey all,

I'm new here and well to blackberries in general.
    I am looking to get my first blackberry ever and have been doing my homework to make sure it's the right device for me.

Now what doesn't make sense to me with the tour is, everyone says it's pretty much a storm with double the memory and a qwerty keyboard. but it doesn't do voice and data simutaniously? This just doesn't make any sense to me since I'm been told and read that the storm does do simutaneous data+voice and if I'm correct so do the new blackberry devices such as the bold and what not?

Why would blackberry take a big step backwards on a new device? For me this would be a huge mistake...
    Last edited by Firebladz; 05-15-09 at 08:52 PM.
    05-15-09 08:48 PM
411 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD